Chit Chat

freaking chicken dance!! *vent*

So my family is apparently OBSESSED with the chicken dance! Both FI and I are very much opposed to having this song played at our reception, but it's a tradition on my mom's side to have played at the reception. Now, we've already agreed to allow them to do the money dance (which FI and I feel very uncomfortable with) and really thought that doing one of the two would make them happy, but no. My grandfather, who has been told he has only a few years left to live, is holding that over my head in order to get us to play the stupid chicken dance! And when I say FI and I are opposed to the song, I mean we hate hate HATE it! UGH! Just needed to vent...
*marc & catrina*
*10.9.10*

Re: freaking chicken dance!! *vent*

• I actually like the chicken dance. I think its fun. But I said no to the money dance. Stick to what you want.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • FI and I are going to concede... haha! I give up... we've decided that we'll just duck out for a few minutes... :P
    *marc & catrina*
    *10.9.10*
  • SarahPLiz - we don't want either, but apparently it's tradition on my mom's side and everyone will be horribly offended if we don't have both. /:
    *marc & catrina*
    *10.9.10*
  • Yeah, I'd just have it played before you get to the reception or after you leave. lol.
  • I see no harm in having it played.  If it will please everyone else and you have no moral objections, I say, just play it!  Although, I'm a pretty go with the flow bride. 

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • It's just a song.  And a silly song at that!  It's not like they're asking you to play some horrid rap song. 

I get that it is "your day" (rolls eyes) and all, but grandpa and your family would like it.  Go to the bathroom during those few minutes and you can come out and say "oh, we missed the Chicken Dance?  Damn!" 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_freaking-chicken-dance-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:05702caf-96ff-409a-b019-07e2dd992179Post:c2b59dc2-673b-4804-8aaa-254ab38b8b05">Re: freaking chicken dance!! *vent*</a>:
    [QUOTE]SarahPLiz - we don't want either, but apparently it's tradition on my mom's side and everyone will be horribly offended if we don't have both. /:
    Posted by FutureMrsBoucher[/QUOTE]

I married into a family that ALWAYS does a money dance.  We were the first not to do it.  We didn't receive any comments or flak from anyone.  If you don't want to do it, just put your foot down and say you won't. 

I would have left the room if someone had tried to start one.  And you can also tell your dj/band leader that you will not be doing it, regardless of who requests it.  My dad told our band leader that if they announced any "special" thing aka money dance without clearing it first, they wouldn't get paid.  It was pretty easy to control.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_freaking-chicken-dance-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:05702caf-96ff-409a-b019-07e2dd992179Post:c2b59dc2-673b-4804-8aaa-254ab38b8b05">Re: freaking chicken dance!! *vent*</a>:
    [QUOTE]SarahPLiz - we don't want either, but apparently it's tradition on my mom's side and everyone will be horribly offended if we don't have both. /:
    Posted by FutureMrsBoucher[/QUOTE]

Its a tradition on both sides of my and FI's family. His family's version involves the B$G going around the room begging for money from guests of the opposite sex. FMIL told me that was the most humiliating thing she has ever done, and that I should not feel pressured to do it.
    We just do a dance where guests pin money on you, dance with you a few minutes, and move on. My dad kinda expected it and even joked that he wanted 2 more friends to come (fine with me),and that would mean more money for the dollar dance. He seemed surprised and disappointed that we aren't having one, but I think he's ok with it now. He'll probably have us do a "special" at the next pow wow we go to, so he can solicit money there, which is the cultural norm.

The Chicken Dance, however, is like the Freeze or the Cotton Eyed Joe around here. I think they are all fun, even though they've been played at every dance I've attended since 5th grade.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Honestly I'd probably just give in and let them play the stupid song. It's only 2-3 minutes of annoyance then it's over. I don't like the song either, but FI and his family do so I said fine whatever.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 262 Invited image 38 Attending image 5 Declined image 219 Unknown
    RSVP Date August 1st
  • I personally hate the chicken dance and specifically told my DJ not to play it ... but if it was a huge deal to my family, I would have bit the bullet on that one. I mean, if it was something like "Oh it gets played at every wedding in our family", for 3 minutes, I could easily go to the bathroom, or just take the time to get a drink or mingle or something.

The dollar dance is the one I would have put my foot down on if I'd been pressed on the matter.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Ugh.  I didn't want to do either, but I'd so much rather do a chicken dance than a money dance.  The chicken dance may be annoying, but at least it isn't rude.  
  • Just do the chicken dance. Yes you don't like it, but it'll be more annoying to hear the complaints from those who were expecting it.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • FI and I hate the song too, at least no one is asking us to play it... yet.

Unfortunatly, I really do not think it is worth arguing over. Maybe durring the song you and FI can sneek outside for some alone time? That way ti still gets played and you and FI get away for a few minutes.

I think that'll keep both sides happy. :)

Good luck!
  • I'd be fighting the dollar dance a lot harder than the chicken dance if I were you.  At least the chicken dance doesn't ask people to cough up money in order to participate.

It is just a song and not a hill to die upon.  Just play it.
  • I would say tell them if you're doing the chicken dance, the money dance is out since you & FI are not comfortable doing it anyway.  And if they balk, tell them it's one or the other, and that you'd rather have the chicken dance. (if that's true)

We hate it too, all of those songs are on the "Absolutely Not" list.  We are throwing in other fun songs (Steeler fight song, Take me out to the Ballgame, Ein Prosit, etc) but yeah, none of that other stuff. 
    Crosswalk
  • I agree with you. If you don't want it, then don't do it. Just don't say anything more about it to your family or friends. If they ask say, "Yes we're thinking of doing it." And change the subject. After all, you're not saying you're doing it, just that you're THINKING of doing it. Then make sure you tell the DJ you do not want that song played under any circumstance no matter who requests it. And tell him to inform the guests he forgot the cd with that song for people who request it. Is it lying? Not directly, but a little fabrication never hurt anyone. And if it makes your day easier and less stressful, just  do it. No one should have to stress over something like this on their big day......there are more important things in life. :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't get the mentality of people deleting their posts when they don't hear what they want.  

Even if you could delete this, it's still a petty hill to die on.

And the dollar dance is still rude and much more worthy of a fight.  
  • I see it both ways- technically it is your day and I put that song on my 'DO NOT PLAY' list too. However, it's like 3 minutes of slight discomfort that might keep quite a few people from being disappointed (assuming that song really is a big deal to them). You could always use the beginning of that song as your cue for a bathroom break Wink

• The subject line cracked me up because I REALLY don't want the chicken dance played either! Or YMCA, or any number of other songs that make my skin crawl.  I agree with Ashmarie, I think you can avoid playing it without a big confrontation.  Just laugh it off when people mention it and then play whatever will make you happy at your reception.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Please don't bite my head off. I'm not deleting this (even if I knew how) and yes, it is petty. I completely agree. I was just beyond annoyed and with everything else that was on my plate at the moment I originally posted this, it was the last straw.

FI and I have decided to let them have the dance, and we're gonna sneak off for a few. And as far as the money dance, we're going to announce that it's a family tradition and that please no one feel obligated to participate. It's not worth arguing over.

*marc & catrina*
    *10.9.10*
  • We invite guests to share in the day and to have fun. There are 1440 minutes in a day. This song will use up about 3 of them. I would just play it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards