Chit Chat

Tall Bride

Not sure where to put this and as I can't search the boards, thought it best to 'chit chat' about it!

I'm quite tall compared to my fiance... there's about 6-7 inches in it...  Cool

Any comments...  Any tips...

Not about getting smaller but so as it's not an issue on the day :)

Note that we are not phased by this!

Thanks

Re: Tall Bride

• Wear heels if you can that are at least 3 inches or so. That should help balance the height difference a bit esp during the ceremony and while you are dancing.

My Uncle is significantly taller than my Aunt and while they look odd together, they have been married for 35+ yrs.
  • FI and I are basically the same height so different situation but I understand what you are saying.  I am wearing ballet flats as my shoes.  I am not a heels girl so heels would make me feel uncomfortable anyway but with them being so flat and him wearing tux shoes it actually give him a few more inches on me.

Your photographer can make your posed pictures look balanced and fine.  Other than that if you 2 don't have a problem with the difference then don't worry about it.  You aren't going to change and neither is he so just embrace it! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • hehe and I think missysue miss read your post :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    I have like a half inch on my FI....so mot quit as much as you do. I really want to wear heals, but I don't think that he will like that, so I'm getting these small wedges I saw that are only 1 1/2" if they are still available or flats. I also heard someone say that if you are doing it in a church have him stand on a step for pictres, but i dunno.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• You are marrying him for who he is, not how TALL he is. Nevermind this details of pictures, shoes, etc.
    Anniversary
  • Don't worry about it. Wouldn't your wedding pictures look funny if he was closer to your height than in real life.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • You're going to be significantly taller than him in every picture you take together for the rest of your lives, why should your wedding day be any different?
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Do you have any specific concerns?  I am a tall girl too :)  I was worried about finding a dress that was long enough.  Most stores will order dresses in extra fabric, but it costs more. 

If you are looking for cute flat shoes  - good luck!  Most of the flat "wedding" shoes I found looked like old lady slippers.  I'd think you'd have better luck looking in the spring/summer when cute flat sandals will be out. 

As for pictures/dancing/etc.  Who cares?  I'm sure your friends and family are already aware of your height difference... and really it doesn't matter. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2010
    I'm a tall girl too.  My H is just 2" taller than me, so on our wedding day I was barefoot for the ceremony and wore flat flip flops for the reception (H wore boots).  As far as dresses go, I tried on several that hit me well above the ankle - it was kind of comical.  Luckily I found a dress off the rack that fit perfectly everywhere including length.  Look around at dresses (if that's something you are asking about in your OP.)

As far as pics, I'm with the other ladies: people who know you know that there is a height difference, and you'll be taller than him in all other pics for the rest of your life.  You'll feel more like yourself if you don't try to fudge anything and just look natural.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm several inches taller than my DH.  If you're looking for shoes, I wore flats from Dessy- they were $30, and comfy.  If you're looking for picture advice, I've got nothin.  Truthfully, we didn't notice it at all on our wedding day, and I doubt you will, either.  If you've already been together a long time and the whole family has seen you together, it probably won't be that noticeable to them, either. 

In regards to pics- we did pics at a park, and had a couple where we were sitting down, on benches, and on the ground next to a water feature.  They were creative and turned out to be some of our favorites.  But, like I said, this really won't be a big deal the day of, so I wouldn't focus on it too much!

Visit The Nest!

My Planning Bio Married Bio

I'm not a newb, aka swim1011
  • I'd say if it isn't an issue now, then it won't be one on the wedding day either.  Wear whatever shoes you feel good in.  :  )

• You're taller than your FI.  You're going to be taller than your DH.  Why try to pretend that you're not?

I'm fairly tall, and in my most fabulous heels, do stand a bit taller than my DH.  It's who we are.  Celebrate every fabulous inch, abi!  =)
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I'm 3 inches taller than my H, so I see exactly what you are saying.  I'm taller than him in every picture we have; our wedding photos are no exception.  After all these years, I'd think it would look weird if HE were taller.

I wore heels anyway, and didn't think anything about it. 
  • I'm 5'10 my FI is 5'9 (so he says, I think closer to 5'7)
    I know how you feel, I've felt like that my entire life, i only dated one guy that was taller than me, then I found it rather odd.

But, seriously, find a cute pair of heels. Enjoy it, I bought heels, I may look like tree beside him on the wedding day, but atleast i'm wearing shoes I want and not a pair of rainbows because I may be an extra 3 inches taller.

If ANYONE has a bad thing to say about you being "taller" than him. F them. You are paying for the wedding, might as well have a nice pair of shoes :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_tall-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:069c4707-f241-44a1-bfb6-2532389f37b5Post:0bd8e473-db64-470e-8737-b672e7199abd">Re: Tall Bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who made the rule that the bride has to be shorter than the groom?  I can't find it in my etiquette books.  If it bothers either of you, get used to wearing flats, and wear your hair down.  Anybody who is rude enough to comment on the height difference,shouldn't be invited to your wedding anyway.  My daughter is taller than her FI. (At 6 feet tall, she is taller than a lot of men.)  <strong>It doesn't seem to bother Tom Cruise. </strong> You go, girlfriend!
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]
    Actually, dude has a major complex about it.  Nicole Kidman wasn't "allowed" to wear heels when they were together, and when he's on set working with a taller actor, they don't have Tom on a crate to bring them level, they dig a little pit or trench for the other guy to stand in.  I wish I was making this up.  Dude's a nutcase.

But most normal guys don't have a problem with it.  They tend to prefer the view of below the shoulders anyway.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I'm 5'11 almost to 6', my FI is 6'2+ and I am so excited that I found the most gorgeous pair of shoes from DB that are a short heel. I put them on and I'm still shorter than him when I look at him. The bonus side is that the shoes are tall enough my extra length dress doesn't need to be hemmed :)

Your photographer will be able to put you in poses to balance you out better, wow that is quite a difference. But like I always say, your the same height laying down :)
  • I'm almost six foot and absolutely love heels, but I'm the same height as my FI. It sucks but it's just something ya gotta deal with if you love him.

• I know this is a little old, but I'm going to comment anyhow.

I am slightly taller than FI. When I wear heels, I am much taller than him, basically however many inches of heel plus one or so. I used to think of it in the terms you described. But....

He LOVES that I'm taller than him, it makes him feel good, and you know what? Wearing heels makes me feel good. I would feel ugly if I wore flats. IT's just how my brain works. I haven't looked at wedding shoes yet, but I will definitely get heels, I may settle on a shorter than normal pair, just to make sure I am comfy, but only time will tell.

You're height difference is never going to change, so why want to change it just for one day?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards