Chit Chat

Having trouble with patience today...

Hello all! I am relatively newly engaged (he proposed a month ago after 8 years!) and never, ever thought I would be a stressed out bride. Well, here I am, already freaking out! This is so not my style, and I don't know how to handle it! I always thought if we got married we would have none of the family drama people talk about because our families are both amazing, none of the super detail worry because we both just want to have a classic fun night. Wrong!

I think I will feel much better once the venue issue is settled, but of course things for next summer/fall are already booked up leaving limited available dates. After a whirlwind of research and site visits and neglecting other important things in my life, we found a place we both love that fits our vision... it's a bit of a drive, but I like that it will give our guests a mini-getaway experience in a great location (especially since almost all of them would get hotel rooms anyway). The problem: It has only two available dates. One is in the early summer, 2 weeks before my sisters wedding. Some people are encouraging to do that, and it does fit our vision of being all outside better, but nothing is worth making her feel anything negative about either of our weddings and I'm not entirely convinced she would be ok with it. The other date is a beautiful fall date that happens to be the anniversary of our proposal. It also happens to be the weekend my fiance's family has gone on a little night away trip for the last 50 or so years to celebrate his grandparents anniversary. I thought it would be a cool way to honor them to have it on that date, but I also understand how important tradition can be so would get it if they didn't want us to do it that day. Since speaking to his mother about it a week ago she hasn't given us any feedback, except her first reaction was not understanding why we would have a "destination" wedding when it wasn't cheaper than having it closer to our hometown. For what you get for the money there compared to here, it is a much better deal! There are several places closer to our home that I would be happy to get married at, but my fiance doesn't love anything around here. Anyway, we tentatively put our name on the books for that location and need to give them a deposit or turn it down by Saturday, so I'm trying my best to patiently wait.

My future MIL also hasn't returned the guest list I sent to her for her additions almost 3 weeks ago. I've always thought we had a great relationship, and maybe I'm being too sensitive about these things, but I'm definitely worrying that she isn't as keen on this wedding business as I thought she might be!

Finally, I just learned that my cousin is preparing to propose to his girlfriend very soon and that, despite not being engaged yet, they already have plans to be married in the fall (his second wedding). This potentially means 3 family weddings in a matter of 4 months! Given all of this, I genuinely wish I could wait until 2014! My academic program will simply not allow time for a wedding after May of 2013, and if I'm being entirely honest, I feel like I've waited for 8 years for this already and I don't want to wait anymore!

Thanks for listening. I'm probably overreacting to all this stuff (another thing I am NOT used to doing), but I just want this part to be settled!

Re: Having trouble with patience today...

• Honestly? I think you should go back to the drawing board and find a different venue. It just seems like you're borrowing trouble by insisting on getting married at a place where the ONLY available dates are BOTH likely to cause drama.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • There is nothing wrong with having 3 weddings in the family, you each get ONE day.

Now if you’re already this stressed in the beginning of your planning, I’d suggest you just do a destination wedding two weeks before your sisters. You’ll have a shorter guest list which in turn also saves money. If you and your FIancee are both stuck on DW, then have that. UNLESS your parents are paying…..

• How far away would the wedding be from your hometown?  I would press FMIL for her feelings on that anniversary weekend (or ask FI's grandparents directly).  I think 2 weeks before your sister's wedding is too close.  My wedding was 4 months after my sister's and I felt that might be too close in retrospect.  It didn't bother her, which I made sure of before booking the date.  Of the two options for this venue, I like the anniversary weekend.  Or like PP said, consider another venue.  Good luck!

Anniversary
  • Finding the venue was the hardest part for us too, so you are not alone on that "overhwelming" feeling, but it will pass and get easier.  Sounds like the fall wedding would be your best option.  Have FI talk to his mom and get a direct opinion or forever hold her peace.  If her intuial reaction wasn't "No Way" then I would think its something they can plan around.  Unless they have already made specific plans for that weekend, if  it works out for you guys better I would hope family would be supportive of that option. 

Don't worry about the cousin getting engaged soon--people get engaged everyday and you can't plan your life over everyone elses.  That will be their deal to decide if they want to keep the fall and considering they have not even booked anything or annouced an engagement, its fair game.  Don't plan around an unknown.  They may come across the sames things you are and end up changing their timeframe once they start officially planning. 

Your sister does get her one day, but 2 weeks is a little too close for comfort I think.  If it were a friend or a relative that wouldn't share the majority of the guest list, I can see it getting pulled off, but 2 weddings in 2 weeks for your mom would probably stress her out!   Not to mention that seems like a "crunch time" where you will probably be busy will the last minute details, as will your sister, so sharing that time will be overwhelming, rather than separating the dates by at least month would allow you both to help each other.  Not to mention showers and bach parties will be similiar times so your family will be on wedding overload for many weeks leading to the two weddings.

Anniversary
  • I think you should find a new venue as well.  How far away is this place from where the majority of your guests live?  I would rather attend a wedding close to home where I could drive home rather than stay in a hotel.  For example, if a venue is 1 hour away, I'd go and come home.  If it was 2 hours drive away, most likely I'm not going to go.  If it's 5 hours away, I would go and rent a hotel room.  
  • So funny, I got home and had an e-mail from FMIL with her guest list additions and news that the whole family fully approves of the date. Thank goodness!! I must have been sending out strong vibes today, because I was getting calls and news all afternoon that re-excited me about this process... either that or a lot more people than I imagined read this thing!

As clarification to your questions, the venue is about 4.5 hours from our hometown. We live1.5 hours from most of my family and between 30 minutes and an hour from most of his, and most of our friends all stay at hotels for the weekend even if they live within 20 minutes of the venue, so I know most everyone would do that no matter where we chose. I was just worried about having to start this process all over again! So glad I don't have to, and that my FMIL sounded enthusiastic this evening! Thanks for letting me vent :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_having-trouble-with-patience-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:09ca277b-d84c-4f9f-8320-3185b050d837Post:76dc4c4f-6043-4630-86d6-6f7467c364cf">Re: Having trouble with patience today...</a>:
    [QUOTE]So funny, I got home and had an e-mail from FMIL with her guest list additions and news that the whole family fully approves of the date. Thank goodness!! I must have been sending out strong vibes today, because I was getting calls and news all afternoon that re-excited me about this process... either that or a lot more people than I imagined read this thing! As clarification to your questions, the venue is about 4.5 hours from our hometown. We live1.5 hours from most of my family and between 30 minutes and an hour from most of his, and most of our friends all stay at hotels for the weekend even if they live within 20 minutes of the venue, so I know most everyone would do that no matter where we chose. I was just worried about having to start this process all over again! So glad I don't have to, and that my FMIL sounded enthusiastic this evening! Thanks for letting me vent :)
    Posted by singtomehope[/QUOTE]

ENJOY IT!!!  We recently got married 2 months ago, we also had 3 weddings on his side all within a few months of ours. It did put a little stress on it, but who cares about theirs!  :)  Make sure to try to relax, wedding planning can be stressful and I never thought I would have been that girl either, lol I freaked out!  Always wanting things a certain way, trying to please everyone else...  Girl, remember, this is YOURS and your Fiance's day!  Make this about you, its very hard since we want to please everyone and make sure they're happy, but this is supposed to be a reflection about you two!  :)  Best wishes and congratulations!  It is so exciting planning this awesome day, so remember to take breaks from it!!!  you'll need it!!!  Yay, congrats again!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards