Chit Chat
Options

Please share...

your favorite healthy recipe. FI and I both want to start eating better (no more late night SNS runs, boo) but don't want to sacrifice good taste. Ideas?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Please share...

• Options
    Try www.skinnytaste.com  I haven't made one of her recipes that I DIDN'T like.  We both really liked the Thai Peanut Chicken and the Curry Shrimp (not sure of the exact names, but those search terms on her site would probably work).
  • Options
    BF's favorite that I've done is a chex crusted chicken.

I slice chicken into manageable strips/pieces.
    Crush corn chex and add paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and italian seasoning - mix together.
    Beat 1-2 eggs (depending on how much chicken you have)
    Dip chicken into egg, then coat with chex mixture.
    Put on lightly greased cookie sheet
    Top with paprika
    Bake at 350 for 20-25 min/until crispy.

I usually serve with sweet potato fries (also home made) and our favorite BBQ sauce.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    check out www.100daysofrealfood.com It is my favorite site dealing with healthy eating.  Lots of healthy recipes and good advice. 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    What's your version of healthy? For some it's low carb, for some low fat, for some it's a whole food diet. For me, it's vegetarian and whole foods. My FI eats meat, and I try to keep it to lean protein and whole foods for him as well. I try not to use anything overly processed. One thing I make a lot is a huge salad with homemade dressing. Just a few heads of romaine, bell pepper and cucumber, but you could add grilled chicken or any other veggies you like. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_please-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:0a2a99b2-477e-4f7e-a4a5-665107777ee3Post:518b33bb-03a0-4bcb-86e1-a54f1c736c9d">Re: Please share...</a>:
    [QUOTE]What's your version of healthy? For some it's low carb, for some low fat, for some it's a whole food diet. For me, it's vegetarian and whole foods. My FI eats meat, and I try to keep it to lean protein and whole foods for him as well. I try not to use anything overly processed. One thing I make a lot is a huge salad with homemade dressing. Just a few heads of romaine, bell pepper and cucumber, but you could add grilled chicken or any other veggies you like. 
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]
    I was wondering this too.  When I think healthy I think whole wheat/whole grains veggie rich diet.  I do eat meat, but I believe it should only be a minority of what you eat.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    I like 101cookbooks.com a lot. The recipes are all vegetarian, and most are quite easy and don't require tons of odd ingredients. Also, the stuff is really good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I agree with Skinny Taste. She has some delicious low-cal recipes. I've never made one I didn't like. I've also made some yummy recipes from the Hungry Girl cookbooks--I think she may have a few recipes on her website too for free.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I made this today:  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/10/roasted-sweet-potato-salad-with-chutney-vinaigrette-recipe.html It's healthy and delicious!  It's going to be my lunch for the week.
  • Options
    cupcakeambercupcakeamber member
    First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Check out The Vegan Zombie on YouTube. He has a lot of good recipes and he's always posting more :).
    pregnancy calendar
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I used to do WW and have several WW cookbooks. There are some really good recipes in there:-)   I don't do WW anymore, but we still make a lot of WW recipes.

DSC_9275
  • Options
    cwaggoner07cwaggoner07 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited October 2012
    Hungry Girl has a LOT of recipes on their website.
     One thing we love doing is making smoothies. They're filling, and we know what goes in them when we make them. A lot of times after we go grocery shopping I'll spend an hour portioning items in baggies and freezing them, so they're ready to make when I want them. Here is a typical recipe, but I change it up all the time, especially depending on season:

Pineapple
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Fresh Spinach Leaves

When I blend, I throw in ice, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a quarter or third cup of raw oats.

You can't really taste the spinach or the oats (SWEAR), but it really adds some power nutrients.

• Options
    Thanks for all the ideas ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_please-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:0a2a99b2-477e-4f7e-a4a5-665107777ee3Post:a1bcad90-4e34-4090-ba74-c994f993cbfa">Re:Please share...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also agree that there is a vast range of "healthy" eating. DH and I have lowered our calories, cholesterol, and sodium intake. We did it by switching from frequent fast food and prepackaged meals to lean protein, steamed veggies, rice, etc. we buythings like fish and chicken in bulk, learned to cook with olive oil instead of vegetable oil, butter, etc, and invested in a Geoge Foreman grill. We also use fresh ingredients when possible, such as pressing our own garlic instead of using preserved or garlic salt to flavor food. It's far from a whole grain completely organic diet, but it's a huge step for us and allows us to still prepare quick and tasty meals throughout the week.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Yea I'm really not sure exactly what direction to go in, I just know it needs to be less eating fast food and more cooking healthy at home.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_please-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:0a2a99b2-477e-4f7e-a4a5-665107777ee3Post:ff547498-8f23-446f-aea0-f50db2e2993b">Re:Please share...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Please share... : Yea I'm really not sure exactly what direction to go in, I just know it needs to be less eating fast food and more cooking healthy at home.
    Posted by shanding4787[/QUOTE]

Most of the time cooking at home is always going to be healthier than fast food.

Cut out all sodas and juices is a good first step. I saw on an HBO documentary that the average American drinks 200ish calories a day, and also the average American overconsumes around 250ish calories a day. Do the math.

What we do a LOT during the week is throw a couple of frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot with low sodium broth and a few seasonings (we buy premade cajun, southwestern, etc) and leave it on low for 6-8 hours. Then we just make whole grain rice and have a side of either fresh veggies or frozen in the microwave. We always have a lot of bags of veggies just in case we run out of fresh ones.
    The great thing about that is that it's SO simple, especially since we can work crazy schedules. If you do the chicken in the morning, there is 0% chance you're going to drive through on your way home from work since dinner is already halfway done.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_please-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:0a2a99b2-477e-4f7e-a4a5-665107777ee3Post:30960cf0-6a8b-4ea7-bf2e-f30f3cdc1f63">Re:Please share...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Please share... : You cook frozen chicken directly in the crock pot?  Breasts or smaller tenders? 
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Breasts. If they're large we cut them in half.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards