Chit Chat

Help Virginia v. Georgia

My fiance and I recently moved to Savannah, GA shortly after we were engaged. We both love this city, the charm, the people, and the convenience that all out wedding vendors are all on the same block with each other. We love everything about this city. So we decided to have our wedding here, placed deposit on venue already. 

We were very excited about having out wedding here, until we realized that it would be inconvenience to all our guest. All of our guest, and families live in Norfolk, Virginia so it would require everybody to travel. We would have to pay for both of our families to travel down here, on top of buying their wedding clothes for them, and paying for the wedding ourselves.

We have looked at having our wedding in Virginia, and we can not find anything that makes us as happy as getting married her in Savannah. It also doesn't help that nobody in Virginia  is willing to help us plan a wedding there. I tried asking all my bridesmaids and families to stop by venue we had not seen yet and take pictures, no body was willing to do it. I was really hurt. I told my fiance, he just said " let's elope." I don't think this is truly what he want's, he said it out of frustration. 

So we are very torn, we can have a wedding in Savannah, GA that only few of our friends will be able to make it to, but is easy and convenient for us to plan, or we can have a wedding back in Virginia, which will be difficult to plan, not in place we truly love, but all our friends will be there. 

Do you think I am being Bridazillla, by saying if people want us to get married in Virginia, then we need a little help. At this point I am feeling really thinking elope may be best, nobody seems to care regardless.

Thoughts or Opinions are welcome! I am just feeling really discouraged at what should be one of the best times of my life! 

Thanks
StephUndecided

Re: Help Virginia v. Georgia

• SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Why would you have to buy them clothing and provide lodging? If its a money thing, then have your wedding in Virginia. If its an entitlement thing, then have it in Savannah and they will deal. Most of our guests came from OOT, including all our family, and no one complained. Some people declined, but that's to be expected. 

Then again, if you really don't think anyone will care, elope. Its your choice. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • ^^good points. Plan the wedding YOU want, and your family will find a way to make it. But if you need any help planning a wedding in Norfolk, I work there (on the Spirit of Norfolk!), and will be moving there in the next month, so feel free to PM me :)
    September 2011 December Siggy: First Kiss
    imagePregnancy Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Blog!
  • Have it in Savannah and call it a Destination Wedding? :) 

You've placed a deposit on the venue. Unless your guests are actively making your life miserable because of your wedding venue choice, plan your GA wedding with gusto! 
    Visit Purple.weddings.com
  • Have it in Savannah.  If you are paying, you get to call the shots.  And that means having it in the location you want.  Plus, Savannah is a great place to go for a weekend getaway, so your guests should enjoy making the trip.  

You are under no obligation to pay for anyone to come to your wedding.  If you want to pay for certain VIPs, fine, but don't let them make you think that is your responsibility.  
  • i am from savannah and it is just too beautiful to not get married there.  no matter who is willing to come, it is YOUR day!  you and your FI have to do what makes ya'll happy.  also, how far away is the wedding?  if it is far enough in advance, you can send out STD and that way people can start planning to come down.  but don't do something where you don't want to. plus, if no one is willing to help you in VA, then why stress about it.  Good luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards