Chit Chat

Menu Compromise!!!

We came to a menu compromise today!!  :)  I'm vegetarian but my FI is not although he eats vegetarian at home.  We talked about having an all-vegetarian wedding and he was all for it....whatever makes me happy :)  Best answer ever!!  Well, I'm from a very small town in Northern Minnesota full of hunters and fisherman (i.e. sort of redneck-ish but not in a bad way) and we were having a hard time coming up with a "main" course part of the menu.  My family will be doing all the cooking and it's going to be buffet style so we decided on everything being vegetarian (salads, soups, etc) and then having either sliced turkey or sliced ham on a seperate table.  I'm feeling good about it BUT if between now and the wedding we can think of a good "main" meal that will be easy for my aunts to make we'll go with that instead. 

Re: Menu Compromise!!!

• I personally think having a veggie-only wedding is like not serving alcohol because you don't believe in drinking: not right to force your views on others.  I'm glad you found a compromise; I'd stick with it. 
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • oh good lord.. please... can this NOT turn into yet another argument over veggie-only wedding receptions?
  • Oh shoot.  I hope this doesn't start an argument.  If we DO have a vegetarian wedding menu it wouldn't be weird food though.  It'd be pasta with alfredo sauce, a burrito bar or just an array of pasta salads and such.  I wouldn't ever try to serve anyone tofu or seitan.  LOLI do, however, not believe that is forcing my beliefs on others.  I don't think people who eat meat should be forced to serve tofu and I see no reason for vegetarians to be forced to serve meat.There's a TON of stuff that people eat that is vegetarian and they may not even realize.  So far this compromise is good.  Mods-- If this turns into a debate please delete it.  I don't want to debate.  I just wanted to post my good news!!Peace & Love!!!
  • how vegetarian are you going? I have a fantastic spinach tortellini recipe I would be willing to share, but it has cheese and heavy whipping cream in it. Its a pretty easy recipe, but you would have to make it in batches. veggie lasagna is great, and most people don't even think about whether its veggie or not
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • We are doing 2 main dishes on the buffet: lemon tuscan chicken and vegetable lasagna (you could also do just an all cheese version, I make an ricotta & goat cheese lasagna). Aside from the chicken and shrimp cocktail with the apps, everything is veggies (potatoes, broccoli) or veg friendly (salad, mini quiche, fruit & cheese). something for everyone.
    Crosswalk
  • Northern MN,  Are you lutheran or norwegian by chance..lol
  • My family will be doing all the cooking and it's going to be buffet style so we decided on everything being vegetarian (salads, soups, etc) and then having either sliced turkey or sliced ham on a seperate table. Isn't turkey or ham meat?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lynd: that is why its a compromise. I think her point is they couldn't find a main dish that was veggie and was easy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Since your FI is not vegetarian AND your guests are a bunch of hunters/fisherman I think you should keep the meat option. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Aggie-  I would LOVE the recipe.  Everything but the meat will be vegetarian.  Dairy is fine and that recipe sounds GREAT!!Anna-  Finlander!!  ;pLynda-  We are going to keep the meat option unless we think of something vegetarian that would be suitable and easy to make.  :)  Peace & Love!!
  • We're making a big compromise too, but it's more meat involved.  My fiance is a steak and potatoes guy, and I'd rather just do a vegetarian menu or at least some kind of meat that's more interesting that chicken or beef...I originally wanted to do a fish and a duck option (we're having a winter wedding, and I think the richness of duck would be right for the season).  My fiance wants prime rib.  One giant slab of dripping meat slapped on a plate (ugh).  I tried to suggest something a little more visually appealing like wagu beef (it's so tender you can cut it with a fork) because at least it looks pretty on the plate.  He said this is the one thing that he wants, so I'm considering just letting him have it so that I can get my way on everything else.  What about doing a veggie risotto or pallea could be cool too but with all veggies and beans and sutff.  Good luck.  A vegetarian wedding sounds fantastic!
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • pallea yummmm but I have only had a seafood type pallea so I dont know what to say about a veggie one. Creamy Spinach and Tortellini: -1lb uncooked tortellini (original recipe calls for cheese, we have used several types before, I like mushroom) -2TBSP Olive Oil -1/2C chopped onion -3 cloves garlic -1pkg (9oz) frozen chopped spinach thawed, squeeze out the water -1C seeded cubed tomato -1/4C schopped fresh basil (1.5TBSP dry) -1/2tsp salt -1/2tsp pepper -1C Parmesan or Romano cheese -!C whipping cream Cook tortellini as directed. Drain and keep warm. Heat oil in a large skillet, saute onions and garlic until tender, about 4min. Add spinach, tomato, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes then stir in whipping cream and cheese. Cook just to boiling. Reduce heat to low and stir in tortellini. Cook another 5 min to heat through. ( I think the recipe book is Spade to Spoon)
    Fred Rogers
  • on second thought about the pallea, I am not sure it would be good for a crowd like you are going to have as it will be somewhat like a veggie stir fry. I think you are on the right track with a pasta veggie dish. and I hope you enjoy my recipe even if you don't use it for the wedding :)
    Fred Rogers
  • Aggie-- That recipe sounds GREAT!!  I think I'll try that for dinner next week :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards