Chit Chat
Options

No wedding? Court House?

So today it was brought to my attention that i wouldnt have much help with the wedding. I want a nice pretty wedding, nothing huge. So now i feel liek i wont be able to afford it and im almsot ready to go to my fiance and say "no point in having a wedding, lets go to the court house." Sorry to complain i just needed to get it out. :-(

Re: No wedding? Court House?

• Options
    No matter what you end up doing, it will be a wedding.  You may not have the big ole' reception, but it will be a WEDDING.  DH and I went to a notary, (the only requirement in FL) and it was more than I could have ever wished for--much better than the medium sized wedding I had the first time around. You can still have a lovely ceremony no matter where it happens, because really, the only things you need is you, the groom, and in some states, the official. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    Simple can be VERY romantic. So is eloping. You can also still have a wedding with all of the people you love that is just scaled down to something more casual, while still being chic. Think J Crew slip dress, farmers market flowers, no big bridal party, followed by a great party at your house or your parent's house. Great parties just need food and alcohol; you can cater a good BBQ and get an assortment of desserts rather than an expensive wedding cake that often tastes like crap anyways. You could do something like this: http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/gallery/orchard-cove-photography+150/2 Just think of it as another party with the people you love, rather than A Wedding (TM) that has a bunch of requirements. Don't let the whole culture that says you need the limo/tuxes/rented hall/favors/big cake/huge dress wedding with all the stuff get you down. The people who push that are just trying to sell you stuff, and all of that complication and pressure gets a lot of brides stressed out, and often over trivial crap. We're keeping our wedding simple and I am totally happy and not stressed about it
  • Options
    If you want a "nice pretty" wedding, set a budget, wait a few years, start saving, and start planning.  You can have an awesome wedding on just a few thousand dollars.  Lots of girls here on the boards have done just that. 
  • Options
    A courthouse ceremony IS a wedding. The "wedding" is the exchange of vows. The party afterward is the reception, not the actual wedding. Nobody owes you a wedding. If you're mature enough to get married, then you're mature enough to either (a) pay for the type of wedding that you can afford now, or (b) postpone the wedding until you can save up enough money to afford the kind of wedding that you really want. It sucks that we're not all millionaires, or the children of millionaires, but them's the breaks. We're paying for our own wedding, too. You gotta do what you gotta do.
  • Options
    Extend the engagement so you can save more money to have the wedding you want.  It might take a year or two, but if it's something you really want it will be worth it.
  • Options
    A little bit against the grain, I guess, but I would say get married now! Don't put it off for the sake of money. Do what you can afford now, and then you can always have a one year anniversary reception or a 5 year vow renewal or something like that. I just personally cannot imagine being engaged and putting off the date!
    BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Options
    This isn't your parents day this is your day come to vegas and get married you can do it at a very low cost and have a blast then you get your honeymoon and your wedding all in one! If I did everything my parents wanted lol I don't think I would be a very happy person.
  • Options
    YOU CAN GET OUT OF THE WHOLE PARTY , DESTATION WEDDING . IT AWESOME!!! . IF PEOPLE WANT TO COME THEY WILL IF NOT  . SORRY , :00 CHEAP  , CHIC ,CLASSY
  • Options
    Save yourself the $$ that you clearly can't afford to spend right now.  You've had a wedding already, so you ARE married.Grown-ups make decisions, and then live with the consequences of their decisions.  You choose to go to a courthouse, you live with the resultant consequences which is forgoing a princess party.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I agree with Jolynn... why put it off?? It amazes me that people are able to be engaged forever! I got the ring, and was ready to get married right away.... had to wait 10 months before we could get a church/reception hall... and that felt like forever! How about a courthouse wedding with a big old backyard picnic reception afterwards? Round up some friends with Nesco ovens for a pot luck, or have a pig roast, or grill out! I've seen some gorgeous outdoor weddings lately that were relatively inexpensive! Most parks have inexpensive rental fees (but booze can be an issue)... or borrow a friends big back yard! You always have options.... just take a step back, breathe, and recoup! You'll figure something out!
  • Options
    Loads of people get married on pretty small budgets, if you put your mind to saving hard and think outside the box you should be able to have a really pretty wedding with close friends and family on a budget you can afford.There's no hard in waiting and saving.  You've got the rest of your lives to be married.
  • Options
    sorry *hard* = harm
  • Options
    I am in the same boat, MONEY is an issue... But I am not letting it control our day. We are doing what we can do and it people don't like it they don't have to come.. Saves use money anyways lol... Just keep in mind this is YOUR day not anyone elses....Do what is going to make you and your soon to be hubby HAPPY.
  • Options
    We have the same issue. It's just us paying for it, so we opted for a destination wedding. If people can offord to come they will if not thats fine. We ended up with 20 people coming, which is a lot more that I thought would come. It's going to turn out great. We are getting married on the beach in Hawaii and having a reception at a restaurant after. I think its going to be lovely, I will find out in 12 days. And Mexico costs less than Hawaii if you want an even more affordable destination wedding. Just remember to look at all your options, not just the ones that are more obvious.
    After almost 3 years and 2 IUIs our lil guy is here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker sam and harvey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards