Chit Chat
Options

Do I need a new career?

I'm having some job woes lately and I think I need some advice... I just came back from a two-week sick leave after having surgery, so it could just be the back-to-work blues, but I'm not 100 per cent sure that's all it is. I'm 22 and have been working as a reporter for a weekly newspaper here in Alberta. I started college at 18 but before that had work placements and an internship at a newspaper. The college program was two years, but a few months into my second year I got a job here in the west. I did the rest of my school-work through correspondence to graduate and was one of the youngest people in my college to get a job that early on in my program. I guess some people have found jobs with just a month or two left to go, but I had almost a whole year. Anyway, so I have been working in newspapers for a while. To make ends meet more easily these days, I also work part-time at the grocery store and I freelance for a horse magazine. I L-O-V-E being a writer. I love English, grammar, researching the big story and trying to make a difference in people's lives by telling them what they need to know. Not to mention I am probably the nosiest person I know and what better career than a reporter for someone like me, right? :) But being a reporter means a shoe-string salary, late nights and weekend work and I don't think that's the life I want forever. What about when I have kids? Instead of hanging out at home, I'll be covering hockey games or council and I want to be able to spend a lot of family time with them. I'll admit there are a lot of things I am interested in - animals, languages, working with kids, all that kind of stuff. I was toying with the idea of being a teacher a few years ago and now I have been researching local schools that teach sign language. Problem is, if I want to switch careers I need to be committed and decide, 100 per cent, that I want to do it. But I'm just not sure. What do you guys think??

Re: Do I need a new career?

• Options
    Well if it isn't generating the income you need that maybe you need to find something that will. Money isn't always the issue. you need to find what motivates you and makes you want to get up everyday.
  • Options
    I have three friends that have left journalism in the past two years because their (lowpaying) jobs weren't safe.  Is yours relatively safe?  If so, I would work on your other interests on the side if time allows and wait to jump before you know where you would like to land.  That being said, everyone gets frustrated with their jobs now and then and a career shouldn't just be about money.  Good luck.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• Options
    Yes, my job is safe. The paper I work for is pretty small, just the editor and I, so I can't imagine the publishers cutting out my job. But I agree about exploring before I leap into something else. And although money is NOT the most important thing, it is pretty important on the grand scale. But I wouldn't take a job that pays $100,000 that I hated, over a job that pays $30,000 and I loved. I know that. Thanks guys!
  • Options
    what I think is you are only 22, you have plenty of time to start a new career! If you are allready unhappy with your job, you should look into something different.  You don't want to feel stuck when you do have kids and other things going on!
  • Options
    As someone who hates her job, I have to say how lucky you are to be in a career that you love, even if it pays crap.  What I would do first is see what else you can do with you skillset (that's what I'm trying to do now).  How else can you use your degree/journalism experience?  I'm not well educated on that area, so I can't really tell you what to do, but talk to someone who knows.  Or, stick it out for now, and then when you're ready to start a family, ditch the paper and just do free-lancing. 
  • Options
    I think your career actually leaves a lot of wiggle room for starting a family and staying at home more. I would keep doing what you love and figure it out more when you get to that point in your life. It never hurts to keep your ears open for more opportunities too. Maybe when you start a family, you can do some "a-la-carte" articles or jump into a part-time role. It sounds like you may be able to work from home easily. One of my friend's mom was a food critic for a newspaper. Pretty cool job. She would go to eat at restaurants, write up an article from home, and every Sunday she was published. 22 is really young and sometimes you don't have absolute control over your career. Keep doing what you love!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Great advice, and I appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards