Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

The Great Date (and venue) Debate

I've begun discussing different date and venue ideas with my family and fiance.  However, we're really at an impass so I'm looking for people to weigh in.  And what better place than The Knot?

Here are the 5 options we have for our wedding date/venue.  I've listed some of the pros and cons that we've come up with.  Please weigh in with your vote and thoughts!

1. July 8th, 2010: Pros: It's a Friday, which means cheaper than Saturday.
It's during the summer.
More family should be able to attend.
It gives us time to go on a nice minimoon before moving me out to WA to be with my fiance.
Cons: It's hot and in July.
It's a Friday, which makes other wedding festivities difficult.
It's right after the 4th of July weekend.

2. July 24th, 2010: Pros: It's a Sunday, which means cheaper than Saturday.
It's during the summer.
More family should be able to attend.
Cons: It's hot and in July.
It's a Sunday, which might conflict with church schedules or other people's schedules and makes going to work on Monday HARD.
It's late in July, so our "minimoon" would be a road trip to move me to WA.

3. Transatlantic Cruise in July: Pros: Smaller wedding, which is what we want but can't get away with because of the huge number of close family members.
Cheaper than a traditional wedding - you get a whole two weeks rather than a single day or two.
We'll be able to go on our honeymoon and afford the wedding without breaking the bank.
We can host an informal reception when we return for all family and friends to celebrate.
Cons: Less family can attend.
Less wedding presents.
Our immediate families are with us on our honeymoon.
It's non-traditional.
Our best man and MOH probably won't be able to come.

4. Oct 8, 2010: Pros: It's my dream date - it's our 6 year, 6 mo. anniversary.
It's a Saturday.
It's in October, which is normally cooler and prettier.
Cons: Less family will be able to attend because of school.
It's a Saturday, which means more expensive.
I'll be living in WA and starting a new job and would need to plan the final wedding details long distance.
We wouldn't have time for a mini moon.
Pre-wedding festivities would be hard to plan.
Gift transportation?

5. Elope: It's easier, simpler and cheaper.
But not fun.  Boo.

Sooo, knotties, what's your thoughts?  What pros and cons haven't I thought of?  And how do we decide???  (We've pretty much narrowed it down to the first 3, which means I have to give up my dream date.  I'm slowly coming to terms with that.)

Thanks all!

Re: The Great Date (and venue) Debate

• I think that if you have a "dream date" and it is one that has meaning, that would make it that much more special. Plus with it being in October, that gives you a little bit more time to plan, and finalize things even if that is from long distance. July 8th will come faster than you know it and it could be some added stress with planning a move too. The people that are important will do what they can to make it to the wedding on whatever weekend that you choose.

Maybe there would be a way that you and the FI could take a long weekend from work to get away for a honeymoon somewhere even if it was just for 3 days. That's something you could always talk to your work about. I know when I started my job I have now, I negotiated a family vacation that was planned for months with my boss and I just worked a few extra late hours the week before and got to take two days off to go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Less wedding presents.

Really?  Why is this even in the debate?

Pick the date that will work for you and you FI.  You will not be able to make everyone happy and some people will not attend because of the date you pick.  Don't worry, they still might send you a gift.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Don't pick a date because of "special meaning" Its your wedding day you can pull a date out your butt and it will be special. July 8 sounded like it had the most pros and cons that can be worked with. I say go with that one.

• What is more important to you:  your budget?  The date?  Having an outdoor wedding? Being able to take a honeymoon? Family being able to attend?  Wedding presents?

Prioritize and then decide.  You are not going to please everyone or get everything you want.  FWIW, I voted July 8 because it seems the most doable. 
  • We've kind of eliminated October because we've realized it just won't work out.  It would be too stressful to try to plan the wedding and be out of state for the weeks before the wedding.
    Instead, we've really limited it down to July 8th or the transatlantic cruise.

Less wedding presents isn't a big deal - it was just a con in general. We were trying to be all inclusive in our list.

We're sure the day we pick will be special, but it's hard to figure out which one will work best for us.  We're looking for more pros and cons other people can think of.  It's hard to weigh it - we're pretty evenly split on both.
  • Were these dates supposed to be 2011?  And I understand what you're saying about  October... but for Saturdays you could consider the afternoon... it is cheaper.  (For NYC a LOT cheaper... my venue charges a 75$ difference for evening and afternoon, and I'm not even at a top of the top venue.)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2010
    One of your pros for the cruise is the cost.  It would be cheaper now (wedding & honeymoon in one)but for a reception later you're gonna have the same expense as if you threw a reception right after your ceremony.  Plus, you'll still have the same venue/date problems
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards