Chit Chat
Options

XP: Is this normal? flowers

So, FI and I started looking at florists today.  We are thinking of doing Sam's Club or Costco, because of the cost and what I want is really simple.  Well, when we called Sam's Club today, we were told that they can't tell us anything until after Valentine's day.  I am kind of off-put by this, because we also checked out 2 local grocery stores and were going to get prices and stuff from them as well, and neither of them blinked at eye and the one even said the earlier the better.

I am just torn because Sam's Club is much, much closer to us than Costco and I want to get corsages and boutonnieres as well as the bulk flowers, so I can't just order online. So basically, is this a normal response?  And if it is not, what can we do?  Because it seems like we just need to go elsewhere. And if it is normal, when should we start looking then?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP: Is this normal? flowers

• Options

First, you have plenty of time to place your flower order.  Plenty!

Second, as someone who has worked in a florist for 8 years this is a bad time to want to talk wedding.  January is basically the florist preparing for v-day and changing things over in the store from christmas to v-day/spring type things.

Also, quotes around this time aren't the best.  Flower prices sky rocket around holidays and especially Christmas and V-day so you may being getting quoted a higher price than what you would normally pay during a non-holiday time.

• Options
    Sam's Club and Costco also have packages that are pre-done that are shipped to you that include bouquet flowers, BM bouquets, bouts and centerpieces. You can check those out online to get an idea of what their pricing is like so you have a ballpark before speaking with them in a month and a half to get more in depth. I agree that 7 months out is a long time before you really need to place any type of floral order. I didn't get mine hashed out until about a month and a half before the wedding.
  • Options
    rsannarsanna member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2012
    The pre-done one's are more expensive and it doesn't get me everything I need. I am actually worried about prices going up. I didn't realize that trying to figure out prices, even ball park prices wasn't even an option now. I mean, if anything I noticed Sam's Club prices went down from when I looked over the summer.

ETA: And I guess I should add if we don't do this now, we really can't until the end of March.  But then it is prom/graduation season, so I suppose they still won't talk to us.  And then after that we really can't until May.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What about Trader Joes or Whole foods? I'm using Trader joes- $4 for a dozen white roses. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-is-this-normal-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:22d73492-d982-44b6-9a39-ccebc16f3700Post:3f1f6b53-1bcd-45cb-82fd-66d111e520d1">Re: XP: Is this normal? flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about Trader Joes or Whole foods? I'm using Trader joes- $4 for a dozen white roses. 
    Posted by misssunshine17[/QUOTE]

<div>Wow!  I thought about TJ but I wasn't sure if they did flowers.  Does the store need a specific floral department or something? Do you know if I could order them now for August, or would that be too soon? </div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards