Montana

Changing Name

What is the best way to go about changing your name?  I've heard of people buying kits for it but does that really work?

Re: Changing Name

• edited December 2011
    i think they are a waste of time from other posts i've read. I am going to SS office first, then, DL, then things like insurance, banks, bills, & post office
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't use a kit.  We filed our marriage license just a day or two after the wedding.  They gave us certified copies immediately so I was able to go to the SS office right away.  Got my card in the mail a couple weeks later, then after a few hours at the DMV, you're mostly done.  After that it's just having it changed on bills, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    I think its a waste to get the kit, there is a name changing link on the knot with addt'l helpful information, or you can just google it, there are a lot of sites out there

You can't change anything until you get your marriage license back then you can start with your driver license and credit cards, passport, social security card, etc.
  • elbuort2elbuort2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting a kit because I have a lot of things to change not just a couple cards and I talked to a bride that said it took her over a year to even figure out all the places and fill out all the paperwork she needed and the kit on the knot is only 25 dollars so I think its worth it u don't have to go anywhere to get paperwork you fill it out on your computer so you don't have to hand write a bunch and risk messing up than all you have to do is mail it to your local businesses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards