Chit Chat
Options

For those who ask about men changing their names...

Read This Story (clicky). 

Long story short, a Florida man opted to change his name after he got married.  The SS administration let him, the passport agency let him, his banks let him.  But the Florida DMV, who intially let him, then turned around and said he committed an act of fraud by obtaining a license under a fake name, and ordered him to go to court to change his name legally.

DSC_9275

Re: For those who ask about men changing their names...

• Options

What a crappy situation.  Maybe this case will serve as an example in the future.  It's hard to believe there are still policies in place allowing women to change their name after marriage but not men.  It isn't common, but it does happen.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Was reading from a blogger that I follow that her Husband (also in Florida) had no issues doing the exact same thing this man did. He got all of the necessary changes made without any issue.

Also, apparently now, the charges have been dropped.
  • Options
    I read about this this morning.  Unfortunately in NJ guys need a court order to change their name after marriage.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I read in the Yahoo article that Florida doesn't stipulate which gender is changing their names after marraige. It is just a generic "change your name after marraige".

I hope they don't change that after this.
  • Options
    I will admit I didn't read the article. Does this only apply to men changing last names? What about men changing their names for reasons other than marriage? 

There are lots of reasons for people to change their names, the most common of which being marriage. But for example, my cousin underwent a sex change, and now goes by a completely different name than he used to. I'm not sure if he changed his last name, or just the first. It seems like not allowing men to change their names is a huge step-backwards (or at least a non-step-forwards) in the name of progress. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_for-those-who-ask-about-men-changing-their-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:5c86f20c-d7ca-4a60-8b06-4760559ba64dPost:702e797f-d8ca-4ef9-85ff-0ff68adf523a">Re: For those who ask about men changing their names...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will admit I didn't read the article. Does this only apply to men changing last names? What about men changing their names for reasons other than marriage?  There are lots of reasons for people to change their names, the most common of which being marriage. But for example, my cousin underwent a sex change, and now goes by a completely different name than he used to. I'm not sure if he changed his last name, or just the first. It seems like not allowing men to change their names is a huge step-backwards (or at least a non-step-forwards) in the name of progress. 
    Posted by egeurts[/QUOTE]

As far as I know (but I'm not a lawyer) any name change other than marriage requires a court order. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_for-those-who-ask-about-men-changing-their-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:5c86f20c-d7ca-4a60-8b06-4760559ba64dPost:b29e4e53-bb99-48d3-81a8-1155dd43eff5">Re: For those who ask about men changing their names...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Was reading from a blogger that I follow that her Husband (also in Florida) had no issues doing the exact same thing this man did. He got all of the necessary changes made without any issue. Also, apparently now, the charges have been dropped.
    Posted by heroeswearbrown[/QUOTE]

Were you reading Epbot too? :)
  • Options
    Thank you CT for passing same sex laws that made this so easy for my husband, even though we're not same sex.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards