Chit Chat
Options

Hoboken

I see you answered one of my questions.  The other was in another thread.  I think I'll save us all some energy, and just consolidate here.

As you probably haven't cared enough to notice, I've been gone for a minute.  I'm trying to decide if I can dip my toes back into the CC world, or if I'll just end up banned again, but I'm pretty confused.  It seems some things have changed since I last ventured here regularly.  So I have a few questions.  If you can answer them, that would be helpful.

1.  What exactly is your job as mod?  IIRC, it's to enforce the TOS right?  Is there more to it than that?  I don't envy you, it doesn't seem fun.

2.  Where exactly is the "getting ugly" line?  I'm trying to figure out how much fun is allowed and how much is putting me into finger wag territory.  I can't quite wrap my brain around the chiding in the flip flop thread.  SB, E, and CC have always a little more leniency as far as joking around and pushing buttons goes.  It appears that may not be the case anymore.

3.  Is there a rule against posting why someone was banned or a thread was deleted?

That's all I can think of for now.  I'll let you know if there is more!  TIA!

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.

Re: Hoboken

• Options
    I'm going on break in a few minutes so I'll be right back to answer your questions in depth. Just wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks, I appreciate that!  Take your time. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hoboken-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:5e883488-b48d-4a59-ba09-e55f0d5a6e2ePost:278f9ece-3afd-4544-9c9a-1c10c5094058">Re: Hoboken</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Hoboken : Nah, that's been a mystery since GoHeel, Dani, and RingPop were around and prior to the mass exodus on WP.   Near as I can tell, either TK gods gain interest for awhile and start monitoring threads then getting onto mods for us being "ugly" then go away after awhile or the mods SAY that's happening (since it never happens on multiple boards at the same time) because they want to clean things up and feel they need invisible God backup.   Regardless, NO ONE has ever been able to give me a clear cut line of "this is okay, this is too far", so I'm not holding my breath. Not accusing Hoboken specifically of anything here, just giving my opinion formed by years of mods randomly going into scolding mode without being able to articulate WHAT about this thread was over the line that wasn't in that thread over there.  
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I'm picking up what you're putting down, and I agree.

IMO the clear cut line should be:  Is there a violation of the TOS? 

Flow chart as follows:  Is there a violation of the TOS?  If yes, warn.  If no, continue to monitor.  Did the warning work?  If yes, good.  Continue to monitor.  If no, delete.  Did deleting work?  If yes, good.  Continue to monitor.    If no, ban.

• Options
    I mean, I get that saying it and doing it are totally different and it's not always that clear cut.  But I'm just confused. 

• Options
    Here we go. I will try to be as articulate as possible but I'm a chemistry teacher, not an English one.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hoboken-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:5e883488-b48d-4a59-ba09-e55f0d5a6e2ePost:99c0abc0-5624-4aa9-ac51-915cb69b3a47">Hoboken</a>:
    [QUOTE]I see you answered one of my questions.  The other was in another thread.  I think I'll save us all some energy, and just consolidate here. As you probably haven't cared enough to notice, I've been gone for a minute.  I'm trying to decide if I can dip my toes back into the CC world, or if I'll just end up banned again, but I'm pretty confused.  It seems some things have changed since I last ventured here regularly.  So I have a few questions.  If you can answer them, that would be helpful. 1.  What exactly is your job as mod?  IIRC, it's to enforce the TOS right?  Is there more to it than that?<strong> Officially my job is to maintain a positive, friendly and supportive atmosphere.  This is not limited to enforcing the TOS on things like vendors, bad language, personal attacks, trolling etc.</strong>  I don't envy you, it doesn't seem fun. 2.  Where exactly is the "getting ugly" line?  I'm trying to figure out how much fun is allowed and how much is putting me into finger wag territory.  I can't quite wrap my brain around the chiding in the flip flop thread.  SB, E, and CC have always a little more leniency as far as joking around and pushing buttons goes.  It appears that may not be the case anymore.  <strong>There is no clear cut definition so it's vary hard to explain.  Some threads just take on a life of their own, for example it is going in circles or become no longer relevant to the OP's question.  As far as the past TK used to go through community coordinators like people changed their underwear so no one really had a handle on things.  The new Knot gods are trying to change things.  It's gone so far aray that it's going to take a while to reel in.  Sometimes it's a judgement call, sometimes it's not up to us.  There is still fun to be had but I appreciate if I tell someone to knock something off that they do.  I'm not crazy and going to go on a banning spree but if I ask the same person to cut something out multiple times the official rule is it's bannable.  </strong>3.  Is there a rule against posting why someone was banned or a thread was deleted?   <strong>Threads only get deleted if the OP was banned, and the computer automatically does that. I can't control that.  OPs get banned for 1) advertisingg, 2) receiving multiple warnings, I use 3 but that's just me. 3) for going off a cliff.  2 of 3 of these things happened in the thread I believe you are taking about.  So i can say without saying,  if you get my drift.   </strong><strong>Sorry if some things are still vague. </strong>That's all I can think of for now.  I'll let you know if there is more!  TIA!
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

• Options

I've been on the boards for a very long time and I don't get it.   There are some  threads make me go  Surprised.  

Other threads like the flip-flop thread didn't seem all that bad.  It was not a bunch of regs beating  up a newb.  We were calling out a long term reg who knows thinks wearing flip-flops is a dealbreaker on getting married without knowing the history of the couple.   Maybe he was insenstve,or maybe he doesn't like closed-toed shoes.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I will agree that I was being overly cautious after the situation with Mrs.JP but you never know when someone is going to go BSC.  There has just been a lot of crazy lately and as a mod of 2 high traffic boards it can be exhausting so I was playing it safe.  I got 5 crazy PMs in one day! 

• Options
    What I meant with my last question was:  Why couldn't you have jsut posted the reason in Linger's page to you?  Seems more efficient than sending 17 PMs.  And if it's not ok to post it for everyone, I dont' get how it's ok to PM people.

And thanks for your responses.  I can see this probably isn't the place for me anymore. 

• Options
    As far as your last question I just didn't think it was appropriate to put it all out there.  Those what were specifically involved in the thread and attack, like Linger got an in depth explanation, those that weren't got a simple she's banned. That was my call.

• Options
    Hoboken, thanks again for your candid (if not terribly clear at times, ha) answers.  I have to go to work now, so I'm peacing out. 

• Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hoboken-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:5e883488-b48d-4a59-ba09-e55f0d5a6e2ePost:7e89960b-dcb2-48d5-8834-b04393d6a25f">Re: Hoboken</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hoboken : This times a billion. ETA:  And I have zero clue what we're talking about with JoshParker since<strong> I was gone most of yesterday, but I just would like something at least SORT OF definitive.  Is "overly cautious" your new mode or is that your way of saying you were jumping the gun, or is the line going to change from day to day based on behavior in other threads and the number of PMs you get, which we have no way of knowing?</strong> Again, not trying to attack in any way shape or form, just looking for information and answers so that we (or at least I) can know what to expect and what is expected of us (me).  I think that's only fair.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

It's not going to change from day to day.  I will step back and let things be.  I probably jumped the gun on the thread, but I'm human. It's going to happen from time to time.  Just please no one get BSC around here and we'll be good.

• Options
    Totally unrelated but kind of related. I found this out by accident last night.  On TK mobile you can see if a banned user makes a post.  It comes up user banned- post unavailable.  I wonder what it said...

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hoboken-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:5e883488-b48d-4a59-ba09-e55f0d5a6e2ePost:79c81a57-9933-4f2f-9b2d-773a6e4a9f3c">Re: Hoboken</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you Hoboken.  I know I feel more comfortable being myself knowing that yesterday was just kind of a fluke judgement call. I noticed that in the cached threads when I did a search for JP yesterday.  They all said "User has been blocked" where her posts should have been and I just kept thinking that I sure as hell hand't blocked anyone.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

As long as you keep supplying us with awesome graphics you are welcome to say.

• Options
    I just want to say I think the troublesome poster who ended up getting banned issue was handled well by you Hoboken.  

I also was a llittle confused about why the flip-flop discussion was terminated.  I was getting ready to add my 2 cents.  It was turning into quite the lively yet respectable discussion.  I actually wouldn't mind resuming it if others are open.  I had what I think is an interesting question to pose related to flip-flops at weddings.  

Anywho, thanks again for giving us some guidelines and dealing with the board like you do. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hoboken-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:5e883488-b48d-4a59-ba09-e55f0d5a6e2ePost:2375e628-bdd2-4fe5-9769-c044aef571bf">Re: Hoboken</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just want to say I think the troublesome poster who ended up getting banned issue was handled well by you Hoboken.   I also was a llittle confused about why the flip-flop discussion was terminated.  I was getting ready to add my 2 cents.  It was turning into quite the lively yet respectable discussion.  I actually wouldn't mind resuming it if others are open.  I had what I think is an interesting question to pose related to flip-flops at weddings.   Anywho, thanks again for giving us some guidelines and dealing with the board like you do. 
    Posted by RachelBFMD[/QUOTE]

The thread is not closed, Hoboken just said it was basically dead since the conversation had drifted a bit from the OP's question.  Which is OP's fault anyway because she posted a question and then never came back to reply to follow-ups or provide clarification.  That's the only thing that pissed me off in that thread! :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hoboken-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:5e883488-b48d-4a59-ba09-e55f0d5a6e2ePost:d701e1c1-519f-427c-aab8-fca0db77fc03">Re: Hoboken</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hoboken : The thread is not closed, Hoboken just said it was basically dead since the conversation had drifted a bit from the OP's question.  Which is OP's fault anyway because she posted a question and then never came back to reply to follow-ups or provide clarification.  That's the only thing that pissed me off in that thread! :)
    Posted by daveANDkristen[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks.  And yeah, I hadn't wandered down the page far enough to see that there were more posts.  I added my question.  I too get annoyed when OP's don't come back.</div>
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards