Chit Chat

HELP! MoH Speech

My best-friend is gettign married in 2(!) short weeks and I still don't have my speech prepared. I am so not a procrastinator in any way, I am suffering from severe writer's block. Everytime I sit down with a notebook or the computer, I blank. She is amazing in so many ways but I don't know how to translate everything she is to me onto paper. I want something light, sweet, sincere, and a little humorous. Do you have any suggestions to get me started? I am starting to worry I'll be standing at the reception with no speech and a deer in the headlights kind of look!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: HELP! MoH Speech

• I think the best speeches start with an anectode, and my favorite speech ever started with a story about when the MOH and bride were younger.

Tell a story about the two of you planning your weddings in high school, or trying on bridal gowns just for fun before there were any men in your life or something like that. Then tell everyone how wonderful she is and how they'll live happily ever after.
    Bio!
    Updated 8/9!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_moh-speech?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:607ed817-71ea-46ec-a3d5-5dec63a532d4Post:517cd7c0-af97-4094-96e6-1def289fd00b">Re: HELP! MoH Speech</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the best speeches start with an anectode, and my favorite speech ever started with a story about when the MOH and bride were younger. Tell a story about the two of you planning your weddings in high school, or trying on bridal gowns just for fun before there were any men in your life or something like that. Then tell everyone how wonderful she is and how they'll live happily ever after.
    Posted by Christine&Joshua[/QUOTE]

See, I think that is my problem. Every speech I have ever personally heard started with the "when we were young" story...we don't have that! She and I met a few months before my fiance and I met! We worked together in a retail store...haha, I was actually one of her bosses. We have all the awesome moments that shaped our friendship but I don't know if people will "get it"...her close friends from high school look at us like we're looney tunes when we all get together and say how I bring out a girly side they never knew existed.

Ugh, I feel like I am talking in circles and that's what happens when I try to write the speech!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When our son was married, his BM told a really cute story about son making dinner for the first date son and DIL had.  He talked about how hard DS had worked, and how utterly awful the dinner turned out.  Then he said that when our now DIL complimented DS on the dinner anyway, he knew she was the one for his best friend.  It was so sweet.

When our DD got married, our younger DD was MOH and she told a very cute story about the first time our now SIL met the fam.  He came into the house even though DD wasn't home from work yet and met us without the buffer of DD.  MOH called it a "bold, courageous move".  And everyone laughed.

My point in this is, one cute story about something that you remember, and then "So now raise your glasses with me as we wish bride & groom a long and happy marriage."

Something along those lines.

Keep it short.  Keep it simple.  Keep it sweet.  Everyone will be grateful.  =)
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_moh-speech?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:607ed817-71ea-46ec-a3d5-5dec63a532d4Post:49b2728c-97b0-4951-acc5-20932152d491">Re: HELP! MoH Speech</a>:
    [QUOTE]. Keep it short.  Keep it simple.  Keep it sweet.  Everyone will be grateful.  =)
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]
    Ditto this. The story doesn't have to be from way back when.... but something personal to the two of you is nice.   What about when the bride first started dating her FI? Did you talk about him? It doesn't have to be WR or FI related but just what a good friend she is, maybe she bailed you out when your car diddn't start.
    You will be fine!
  • PPs have good advice.  I will go the Wedding Crashers route and just recommend that your toast is sweet.  Don't worry about it being funny.  At least don't try too hard to make it funny or else it will bomb.  It's always best to go with something from the heart.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • Don't write anything.  Speak from the heart.  Enjoy!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_moh-speech?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:607ed817-71ea-46ec-a3d5-5dec63a532d4Post:28f8591d-fc4b-48ea-a08b-d1bd99aac71c">Re: HELP! MoH Speech</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't write anything.  Speak from the heart.  Enjoy!
    Posted by Lisa50[/QUOTE]

No, please write something.  Notes on an index card will do.  But don't just "wing" it.  You'll have no idea what you're saying, and the crowd won't, either.

I was the Best Man (long story) at my brother's wedding last summer, and I wrote the speech out word for word. It was brief enough to fit onto an index card.  But you know what?  As soon as I stood up, I mistakenly introduced myself as the "sister of the bride" and had to correct myself.  I have a degree in acting and lots of public speaking experience, but weddings are emotional and tend to bring on the nerves.

What are some words that come to mind when you think of your friend? Just three or four adjectives might get you started. 
  • I would start it out with a funny story that happened at work or how you guys met and then say something about how she would always talk about him and how they have a good relationship and stuff like that i would keep it simple and make it something that will make the bride AND groom happy hope this helps :)
  • Can you maybe focus on a good story that outlines how much you know the bride and groom mean to each other?  Did she talk to you about him when they first started dating?   Your first thought when she told you she was engaged?

Maybe ask the bride for a story that outlines how she feels about her groom?
  • My sister told the story of how she and my BIL decided that H was the one for me. Basically we had met them in NOLA jsut 3 months in to our relationship for the weekend. They know that I'm not happy until I have taken care of everyone around me, but they saw him taking care of ME for once. That hadn't happened in any other relationship. Also, the fact that he walked 10 blocks early one morning to Cafe Du Monde and brought back coffee and beingets to them. That kinda sealed the deal. 

I was nervous that she would tell the part of the story where he took care of me after I got sick from too much drinking, but she didn't. It was really sweet.

So maybe just talk about how you knew her H was the one. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards