Chit Chat
Options

Wedding gift theft

What happens when you leave wedding gifts unattended OVERNIGHT?!

THIS happens.

Call me blackheart, but I don't feel too bad for these people.

Re: Wedding gift theft

• Options
    For what ppl?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I heard about it yesterday... a couple had their reception outdoors in a tent. They left all their gifts and cards in that tent overnight, unattended. Big surprise everything was stolen! They had to call all the guests to ask what they gave so they could write up a police report.  The gifts/money totalled $10,000.  

Who leaves that amount of gifts just sitting there for the taking??   It just defies all reasoning.

84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • Options
    FI and I went to a wedding last year and some a$$clown crashed the wedding and before he left he took a handful of cards and made off with $1600 in cash.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-gift-theft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:77cc8632-7ec7-4aae-892b-46aafd29e6ccPost:14e25107-644a-455d-9600-0fb8b7e24158">Re: Wedding gift theft</a>:
    [QUOTE]For what ppl?
    Posted by samantha24p[/QUOTE]

I linked the story on the original post, just click where it says THIS and it will take you to the Yahoo story.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-gift-theft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:77cc8632-7ec7-4aae-892b-46aafd29e6ccPost:8161f267-e10f-4bb5-9d95-f32d71c5c2c0">Re: Wedding gift theft</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding gift theft : I linked the story on the original post, just click where it says THIS and it will take you to the Yahoo story.
    Posted by courtski2004[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Well that really sucks, and I hope they catch the jerk/jerks who did this but why would they leave there gifts out? They had to know that was risky.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Um, how about you don't leave your gifts un-flucking-attended overnight!

This couple is just down right dumb and deserves what happened.  Sometimes you just have to learn a lesson the hard way.

• Options
    Some people are just asking to be robbed.  I
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    And then to have their picture in the article--I'm not sure I would want to broadcast to the world that I was the idiot that left $10K worth of gifts outside for the taking.
  • Options
    I found it funny that they felt justified in leaving them outside unattended because they were in a tent vs the sidewalk out in the open because thieves won't look in the tent, especially if they had been casing the joint earlier in the day.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-gift-theft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:77cc8632-7ec7-4aae-892b-46aafd29e6ccPost:297b7829-4586-4f06-9922-7a90a39502ee">Re: Wedding gift theft</a>:
    [QUOTE]Um, how about you don't leave your gifts un-flucking-attended overnight! This couple is just down right dumb and deserves what happened.  Sometimes you just have to learn a lesson the hard way.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I totally agree.  And I would never have called all my guests to ask how much they gave me.  How rude.

</div>
  • Options
    While, I agree the couple was dumb.  I don't think they deserve it.  First, it is not like they knew how much the gifts were worth.  Second, it wasn't like it was public property.  If someone was "casing the joint" they would have just broken into the house and stolen the gifts anyway, since the house was right there too. And while yeah it is rude to ask how much was given as a gift, it was for a police report.  It wasn't like they were asking for replacements. If someone steals your engagement ring and you don't know how much FI spent on, I bet you sure as hell would ask him when you file the report.

Again, they are dumb.  They should have known better.  But I don't think they deserved it. I just don't get wishing ill on people that simply made a mistake.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Geez I got married at a venue and I still would not have left the gifts and cards sitting around overnight. 

Obviously the bride and groom was too trusting and too naive.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    Really? You guys think thy deserved it! No one deserves to be robbed. I can't believe you guys wouldn't be more sympathetic
    Live life like its your last day!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-gift-theft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:77cc8632-7ec7-4aae-892b-46aafd29e6ccPost:44d9ffa5-25a1-4b7b-a31d-62d9825c51b5">Re: Wedding gift theft</a>:
    [QUOTE]Again, they are dumb.  They should have known better.  But I don't think they deserved it. I just don't get wishing ill on people that simply made a mistake.
    Posted by rsanna[/QUOTE]

<div>Saying they deserved what they got isn't the same thing as wishing ill on them.  It's more about not extending sympathy.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Say you had a co-worker who was always late or out fake sick.  You might not wish that he'd get fired, but you wouldn't have a lot of sympathy when he did.  It's more saying that they brought it on themselves and shouldn't be so shocked and less about saying you're glad they got robbed.</div>
  • Options
    Wow I feel bad for them. My mom and I visited a possible site today and it was set up for a wedding and the couple had the gift table by the door. I wouldn't have put it there because of the easy accessibility. You can never trust anyone anymore unfortunately.
  • Options
    That sucks. $10,000 is a lot. Though I admit the cynical part of me wonders if the guests, when asked how much money they gave, may not have uped the number and made their gift sound more generous than it actually was. Am I the only one who thinks like that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-gift-theft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:77cc8632-7ec7-4aae-892b-46aafd29e6ccPost:ffe7dbee-54a5-4f2a-9481-fa73d6c4437c">Re: Wedding gift theft</a>:
    [QUOTE]That sucks. $10,000 is a lot. Though I admit the cynical part of me wonders if the guests, when asked how much money they gave, may not have uped the number and made their gift sound more generous than it actually was. Am I the only one who thinks like that?
    Posted by arendiva[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-gift-theft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:77cc8632-7ec7-4aae-892b-46aafd29e6ccPost:07ff7933-3d54-467b-b0c8-4e63ac5071d0">Re: Wedding gift theft</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding gift theft : I totally agree.  And I would never have called all my guests to ask how much they gave me.  How rude.
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

this is required by the cops, at least in iowa.
  • Options
    Wow. That is a really careless and stupid mistake. I'm wondering why no one in their families or wedding party said "hey how about we take the gifts inside?" Haha! If I had a friend or relative that was about to leave all that outside I would offer to help carry it all in. I mean at the very least they could have carried in their cards...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards