Chit Chat

NWR - Job hunting when your wedding is coming up?

I was hoping to get some input on my job/work situation.

I started a new job in mid-June and was really excited about it. Unfortunately the new position is nothing like what they told me it would be during my interview process. I have given this job a few months to see if my feelings would change but they haven't.  I am so unhappy and all I do when I get home after work is complian to my FI (thank goodness he is so understanding).

So here's my question....  Wedding is 9/22 - 3 1/2 weeks away with our honeymoon following on 9/29 through 10/9.  Knowing that the job hunting and interviewing process can take a long time should I start to reach out now to recruiters about a job?  Or should I wait until after the Honeymoon?

Thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR - Job hunting when your wedding is coming up?

• I got laid off about 3 months before my wedding (while we were looking at buying houses, too), and had no choice but to look for jobs right away. We had already booked and paid for a 2 week honeymoon. I didn't bring it up during the interview, but I did when they gave me an offer. The answer was pretty much what I expected - yes, go on your honeymoon, but we can't give you that much vacation time, so it's on you.

So I'd say if you wouldn't be getting paid vacation anyway, go ahead, if not, decide if you can take the 2 weeks lost pay. Hope that helps!
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-job-hunting-when-your-wedding-is-coming-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:7ba691dd-919d-486a-b28b-988016fbbd7fPost:6f09b6aa-1ee6-4aeb-914d-c04ba552d836">Re: NWR - Job hunting when your wedding is coming up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Start now.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

This.  It took me quite a while to find what I really wanted and to make a smooth transition.  So as long as it doesn't disrupt your work (you want to keep it discreet of course) or other things you have to do definitely get started asap.
  • Thanks Ladies!  

I was thinking that I shoudl get started now since job hunting can be so difficult.  It's good to have confirmation from others.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was laid off  3 months prior to my wedding. We were in a position where I didn't have to look immediately, but I did end up getting a job 2 weeks prior to the wedding. I was up front with them in the interview regarding the time off that I would require, as they had every right to know. I would suggest advising them since they do have the right to not grant those days to you, PTO or no PTO.
  • I agree with the rest of the girls. Go ahead and start looking now!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards