Chit Chat
Options

Do you have to LIKE your wedding planner?

We are planning a destination wedding in FL for October (from Boston)  and are working with our second company. We changed due to discrepancies in the first contract vs what was promised to us via verbal communication. We decided on the current company due to positive reviews from previous customers. we found on wedding sites.  The owner however leaves much to be desired in the way of people skills and professionalism. After sending the contract back to her and giving the deposit I've had no contact from her. Two emails and messages left and no calls back. I tracked her down this morning after 4 days only to receive a "what are you bothering me for" tone and I'll get back to you vague statements. The reviews are very  positive but a wedding is so personal and I feel like I'm speaking to the DMV. Is an online "reputation" for doing good work enough even if my gut says otherwise and trying to communicate with this woman makes me even more stressed about everything? 

Re: Do you have to LIKE your wedding planner?

• Options
    If your wedding date is correct, it's in 4 months. That means that you already have all of your vendors picked & paid a deposit for by now, right? 

Switching again probably is going to be more hassle than help. I don't think  4 days is that long of a time because you don't know what else is going on for them, but I also don't think that their unprofessional tone was necessary. As your date gets closer, hopefully you'll climb up their list of important people & they will respond faster. Just remember you're not their only bride.
  • Options
    It's so frustrating! This is a service business is it not? Thanks for your input! My fiancée thinks I'm overreacting a bit although he understands my frustration. But if my gut says something is wrong with this picture... and with 3+ months to go?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_do-you-have-to-like-your-wedding-planner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83460169-fdc6-47ac-aa7d-5617fcb341f5Post:869ce1fc-8f6b-4e37-8433-3a300fe34d74">Do you have to LIKE your wedding planner?</a>:
    [QUOTE] <strong>The owner however leaves much to be desired in the way of people skills and professionalism</strong>.    
    Posted by tonyacls[/QUOTE]

Their main focus should be customer service and satisfaction. The job of a wedding planner is much more than just coordinating the events the day of--it is to provide ease in the overall planning and execution. With you being out of town, you should feel 100% comfortable that things are being handled effeciently and their goal should be to make it as stress-free as possible for you. I met with a few when I was planning, and I chose the company that made me feel like I was their only bride-it was a comfortable fit. They may have been a tad more expensive, but I felt comfortable with handing everything off to them to make it happen. If you are second guessing your decision to go with this new company (which you clearly are), I suggest cutting ties and finding someone who can provide you with customer service that barely exceeds that of the DMV. Good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_do-you-have-to-like-your-wedding-planner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83460169-fdc6-47ac-aa7d-5617fcb341f5Post:4854afb6-2d54-489f-b91b-9d87a5d93478">Re: Do you have to LIKE your wedding planner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your wedding date is correct, it's in 4 months. That means that you already have all of your vendors picked & paid a deposit for by now, right?  Switching again probably is going to be more hassle than help. I don't think  4 days is that long of a time because you don't know what else is going on for them, but I also don't think that their unprofessional tone was necessary. As your date gets closer, hopefully you'll climb up their list of important people & they will respond faster. Just remember you're not their only bride.
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]
    I definitely agree about not being the only bride! I completely understand that- but states she will reply and then does not. My one message and one email in response to her (over a period of five days) were not obsessive (because I'm trying really hard not to be thats why I'm here and not yelling on the phone) but since the first co. was a bust I want a little reassurance about service. The event is small and on the beach so there is not much planning/vendors etc involved. Just get me straightened out in the beginning and then I'll see you in October is all I'm really after, but she doesn't seem into it. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_do-you-have-to-like-your-wedding-planner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83460169-fdc6-47ac-aa7d-5617fcb341f5Post:7da79e85-a08b-4f26-9ed7-2cca6ff1ac5d">Re: Do you have to LIKE your wedding planner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Do you have to LIKE your wedding planner? : Their main focus should be customer service and satisfaction. The job of a wedding planner is much more than just coordinating the events the day of--it is to provide ease in the overall planning and execution. With you being out of town, you should feel 100% comfortable that things are being handled effeciently and their goal should be to make it as stress-free as possible for you. I met with a few when I was planning, and I chose the company that made me feel like I was their only bride-it was a comfortable fit. They may have been a tad more expensive, but I felt comfortable with handing everything off to them to make it happen. If you are second guessing your decision to go with this new company (which you clearly are), I suggest cutting ties and finding someone who can provide you with customer service that barely exceeds that of the DMV. Good luck!
    Posted by courtski2004[/QUOTE]
    I think you have hit on exactly what I am saying- it is about what I feel comfortable with, and dealing with someone I do not entirely trust makes a stressful situation worse. I know I'm not "the only bride" and in the grand scheme of life four days really isn't that long, but lie to me for 5 minutes here and there and make me feel like I'm your only customer! A little customer service goes a long way in my book. Thanks :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_do-you-have-to-like-your-wedding-planner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:83460169-fdc6-47ac-aa7d-5617fcb341f5Post:e6754777-1ff1-4e1e-b19b-794c61fdf3b5">Re: Do you have to LIKE your wedding planner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have to LIKE your wedding planner? : How much do you still have left to plan?  Have you found your ceremony and reception venues?  Your caterers?  Your DJ?  Your florist?
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]
    OP, you haven't answered these questions. If you have all of these things booked already, do you really need the planner? You said it's a small wedding on the beach, right? Perhaps you can forgo it or just get a DOC. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_do-you-have-to-like-your-wedding-planner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83460169-fdc6-47ac-aa7d-5617fcb341f5Post:fdec6799-eae0-4e33-9870-e96da5935b3c">Re: Do you have to LIKE your wedding planner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have to LIKE your wedding planner? : I think you have hit on exactly what I am saying- it is about what I feel comfortable with, and dealing with someone I do not entirely trust makes a stressful situation worse. I know I'm not "the only bride" and in the grand scheme of life four days really isn't that long, but lie to me for 5 minutes here and there and make me feel like I'm your only customer! A little customer service goes a long way in my book. Thanks :)
    Posted by tonyacls[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't answer your initial question, but yes, you do need to like your planner.
  • Options
    Yes, please let us know if all of your vendors have been booked.  If they have then there really isn't that much to do until about a month or so out from your wedding date.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_do-you-have-to-like-your-wedding-planner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:83460169-fdc6-47ac-aa7d-5617fcb341f5Post:5d8061f1-e120-4a67-a9ee-02f56faaf4cb">Re: Do you have to LIKE your wedding planner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You do realize this planner probably has other clients too right?  Some of those other clients probably have more pressing matters that have to be dealt with, and some are probably getting married much sooner than you.  4 days is not that long to wait.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm sure the best wedding planners also have other clients, and still find time to respond to every client in a reasonable amount of time. And sometimes, to some people, 4 days is a long time to wait when they need to know something or figure something out. Not to mention OP says the planner was less than personable when she spoke with them, and that speaks volumes. Sounds like once they got her money they put her on the back burner. 

</div>
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards