Chit Chat
Options

NWR: Advice (long-ish)

So H's mom's bday falls a week after mother's day. He got an email last night from his sister that was saying she wants to send their mom and dad on vacation for her bday/mother's day. Now, I don't really care for H's family and H doesn't either; they've said some nasty things to me and about me to H, but we've tried to get past it and everyone is cordial to each other. Normally, we'd say "ok, we can contribute $XXX for this" and then SIL would have to pay the rest herself, if it was an expensive trip.
However, we have had some major necessary home repairs and just don't have a lot of extra money. SIL is going to throw a fit when she hears this because, once she wants to do something, she has to have it her way. We haven't had to deal with anything like this yet (no asking for money-type issues) since we haven't been married too long. If we had any extra money, I wouldn't hesitate to give anything.
Anyone else had this kind of situation? Advice on what to tell SIL without having her get all bent out of shape?

Re: NWR: Advice (long-ish)

• Options
    I have a really good relationship with my siblings and his, so I'd just say:

"Hey, we have a really small budget and already planned something else for mom, thanks for thinking of us!"
  • Options
    I would say, "sorry, but we already planned or bought a gift for her."

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-advice-long-ish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:929ebf27-9825-44ce-84e1-d624027621c6Post:18e10c07-1131-4780-8526-06d8aa8ee3df">Re: NWR: Advice (long-ish)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would say, "sorry, but we already planned or bought a gift for her."
    Posted by redheadfsu[/QUOTE]

I had to do this for my dad's wedding.  Find something more in your price range and let them sort it out themselves.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. As he was reading this email, I was hoping that she hadn't already booked a trip, then just expected us to pay up our half. Because she is totally the kind of person that would do that.
    Although, I have no idea what to get her. Every year for my mom, I write her a letter about why I think she is an awesome mom and woman, and I include events that have happened in the past year to back this up. This year's letter will include our wedding. I'm definitely going to need a box of tissues for this one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards