Chit Chat

Question most likely directed at your significant other..

Are any of you or your significant others cigar smokers? My FI indulges every once in a while and I am looking for a really nice single cigar to go in the cigar case I bought him and give it to him as his wedding present. I would like it to be around 50. Can you or your SO help me?

Re: Question most likely directed at your significant other..

• Have you paid attention to what he's smoked in the past? That would help in determining his tastes. If you don't know, does he have anyone he generally smokes with who would have observed his tastes? They would probably be your best help here.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There is a poster over on the favors board who is doing cigars as her favors. She says her crowd is very into cigars, so she might have some recs. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_question-most-likely-directed-at-your-significant-other?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:95827f87-2c79-418b-a060-e988112c0ac2Post:3da34407-aeab-47e6-b7ac-d8feecaeb638">Re: Question most likely directed at your significant other..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Question most likely directed at your significant other.. : Well that's a pretty sexist assumption.  I smoke more cigars than my SO so he can't help you sorry.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

She said "any of you <strong>or</strong> your SO".  Not seeing the sexism there...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_question-most-likely-directed-at-your-significant-other?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:95827f87-2c79-418b-a060-e988112c0ac2Post:b10235fd-a074-45fa-b569-a36e2b5b1a06">Re: Question most likely directed at your significant other..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question most likely directed at your significant other.. : Did you read the title of the thread?  " Question most likely directed at your significant other.." Sexist.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

Yes, I read the title of the thread.  To my knowledge there are more men than women who smoke cigars, so the title seems fine to me.  I don't think she was trying to offend anyone.
  • Everyone has different tastes. I'd recommend going to a store with a cigar room, and asking for what is more universally popular. Good luck!
  • In Response to Re:Question most likely directed at your significant other..:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question most likely directed at your significant other..:In Response to Re: Question most likely directed at your significant other.. : Did you read the title of the thread?nbsp; " Question most likely directed at your significant other.." Sexist.Posted by LingerLonger1Yes, I read the title of the thread.nbsp; To my knowledge there are more men than women who smoke cigars, so the title seems fine to me.nbsp; I don't think she was trying to offend anyone. Posted by daveANDkristen[/QUOTE]

Linger likes to look for trouble.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • First off - you should NOT be paying $50 for a single cigar.  If you do, someone is ripping you off.  A high quality cigar should cost around $15-20/cigar, maybe even $25. An average priced cigar should cost around $8-12 (that's still a GREAT cigar!). Go to a place that has options and talk with their employees.  Most of them are proud to share their knowledge. 

My FI sounds alot like yours.  Over the years I've learned that the biggest thing to pay attention to is the type of cigar he smoking.  I believe a corona is the most common.  But if your FI likes something with more spice you might want to go with a robusto.   Below is a link to Cigar Aficionado's Top 25 Cigars of 2012.  That would be a good place to start.  When in doubt - I'd go with a Cohiba from Nicaragua, or a Padron Family Reserve.  Can't really go wrong with either.  

Before you buy, maybe you can get some more info from him on the DL.  Take him to a cigar bar and see what he picks out, or suggest you guys sit outside with a glass of wine and a cigar.  Ask him what he's picking and why.  Then reiterate to employees at the store where you purchase.

Good luck!! 
  • Thanks for the tips! I want a super premium cigar and figured 50 would get that. And yes, Linger is the pet troll of these boards. Take what she says with a grain of salt.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_question-most-likely-directed-at-your-significant-other?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:95827f87-2c79-418b-a060-e988112c0ac2Post:3b683f9a-af8a-427c-89f1-5b2d88a7544d">Re:Question most likely directed at your significant other..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the tips! I want a super premium cigar and figured 50 would get that.

And yes, Linger is the pet troll of these boards. Take what she says with a grain of salt.
    Posted by Sharpschruter22[/QUOTE]

I know LOL. I don't know why I bothered replying to that but I was bored :)

I was going to ask you though, OP, where in Saint Louis do you live? I know there is a cigar bar on Wash Ave, and it has high reviews on yelp. I think there's also a place on Olive but I can't remember the name of it. I would go to a place like that and find out what their popular cigars are.
  • I should have figured you know. I wasn't paying attention to your post count. My apologies. I don't live in St. Louis, I live in a small town two hours away from it. I was laid off last week so I can't make a trip up there. I was hoping to find one online.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards