Chit Chat

XP Name Change Question

We just got our certified copy of our marriage liscense today.  I wanted to go to the DMV this afternoon and mail out my new SS card app as well today.  The only thing I'm worried about is we are going on our HM next week and it's booked under my maiden name.  I am planning on using my passport which will still have my maiden name but is this enough.  Can I just use my passport or will my DL name need to match as well.  Thanks.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: XP Name Change Question

• I think your best bet is to hold off changing your name until you get back from your HM.  It would suck if you changed it and then the airport security wouldn't let you get on your flight.

Also, I have never flown internationally but don't you need two forms of ID with your name on it?  So you would need your DL to match your passport.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-name-change-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a1ad5e3c-71bd-4b65-aa0b-50942fe88ec9Post:d2c54f83-8c5f-41e6-b2ec-c204a1c0f581">Re: XP Name Change Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think your best bet is to hold off changing your name until you get back from your HM.  It would suck if you changed it and then the airport security wouldn't let you get on your flight. Also, I have never flown internationally but don't you need two forms of ID with your name on it?  So you would need your DL to match your passport.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

This!

Our travel agent advised me against changing my name until we got back from our HM in case there was any sort of issue. The plane tickets, hotel, my license and passport are all going to be in my maiden name. I will change it when we get back from the HM.
    imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • Wait to change your name until after your HM. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    I just called the National Passport Agency and asked.  They said as long as my ticket name and passport name match it's fine and just carry a copy of my ML just in case.  The only reason I'm in a rush to do it is because I only have 30 days after the wedding to add DH on to the insurance else I'd have to wait until November. Same thing goes for the name change so I wanted to do it all at once. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • As long as your tickets and passport match, you should be okay.  I would advise you carry a copy of your marriage certificate as well, in case there are any issues, but everyone else in the world uses passports as their primary form of identification, and probably won't ask to see anything else (unless you're renting a car, then you might need to show a valid license, but I don't think it would be a big deal).
    DSC_9275
  • You only have to show one form of ID.  Most people in the states use their DL, but a passport is a form of ID.   As long as the passport matches your ticket there is no need to show your DL.  

Even if you are only flying domestically you can use just your passport.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards