Chit Chat
Options

Would you?

I was listeniing to the radio this morning and they had a story about a man here in STL who was at a store and saw a dog in a car with the windows rolled up. Well considering we're under a heat advisory with temps in the 100s until next Tues, he busted out the car window and retrieved the dog and took it to a shelter. So, question is...would you do the same thing? Or just call the police? Or nothing at all? (PS that last one is just heartless!)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Would you?

• Options

Everything PP said.

I would call the police and then ask what I should do if the dog looked to be in severe danger.  I would never take matters into my own hands because even though what you might be doing is helpful to a person in danger, your butt still could end up being charged and sued.

• Options
    I'd call the police and animal control and wait until they showed up. If the animal looked to be in distress at some point, I'd call again and ask. If it's in a parking complex, you can go into stores and have them make an announcement (y'know, "will the owner of a- insert car info here- report to customer service.) I've worked in animal welfare and we've taken in dogs that have been found in cars in the heat and kittens left by the side of the highway in boxes- it's utterly inhumane. In this day and age, people really should know better. An animal's life is worth more than someone's window, IMO.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    That just makes me sad. Why do people have pets if they can't properly take care of them?

I would call the police/animal control and wait until they showed up. I would get the license plate number for the car in case they left before the cops arrived (I would personally not want to get into an altercation with the owner of the car by making them stay. You never nkow if they'd turn violent). I'd just tell the police the license plate number when they showed up so they could hopefully follow them home. If the pet owner treats their pet this way out in public, chances are they might be neglecting them at home too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I might call the police, but I like SM's style. It makes H cringe, but I occasionally go stupid on someone for this kind of behavior. My friend's dog died in a hot car while he hopped into the store "real quick." Needless to say, we're not friends anymore.
  • Options
    I would call the police! I cant believe people leave their pets in the car when its so hot out. One of my girlfriends did this to her 2 dogs, they both died in the car... So sad...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-you?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a2fbe8f0-3ce3-41fe-b92e-96b355863bf1Post:fab38ed8-439c-4898-be6a-03057956c788">Re: Would you?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would call the police.  In our litigious society I'm not about to get myself sued for destruction of property when there are less risky ways to handle the situation.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This, for the exact same reasoning.  If the police failed to show and the dog was showing signs of distress, that's when I would be willing to bust the window.

</div>
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would totally call the cops!! If the dog didn't seam to be in major distress, I would try to locate the owner of the vehicle and (in the store with witnesses) let them know how big of an idiot they were being. I'm sure the cops would get there before I finished - lol!  If the pooch was looking really unhealthy, then I would tell the 911 operator that I was concerned about the dog's safety.  I would let them know that I wanted to break the window so that I wouldn't later be accused of a B & E. =)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I would call the police. It disgusts me how people can leave their pets on the street or in cars-especially with it being so hot outside. People these days can be so heartless. It breaks my heart to see an animal in a situation like that.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    First I'd call the police, second call I'd make would be the local news channels.  Sometimes when the police don't seem to care in situations where they really would share, mentioning the media gets their behinds in gear. 

I have no respect for anyone who can endanger anything that can't take care of itsself.  And honestly I've went postal on more than one person for something ignorant.

I know here it was almost 110 today (and with the Georgia humidity, even though it was "low" today) its just way too hot!!  I'm usually an accountant who sits in a nice air conditioned office but today I had to go to several job sites (I work for a high end construction company) and was out in this crazy heat from 8am till almost 5pm.  Needless to say I was unsure if I would make it.  I can't fathom having to sit in a car with the windows up, or heck, even the windows down as hot as it is.  When I got into my car this afternoon after it sat in this heat all day the thermometer said 112!! And that was OUTSIDE the car.  It had to be 150 or more IN the car. 

What are people thinking?!?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards