Chit Chat

Earlii Wedding

So I am 19 years old and last year October 25, 2009 my husband and I got married in our pastors kitchen. None of our familys were there. We wanted to do it as soon as possible. My problem is that I want to do a wedding for our family to be there and they can actually see me and my husband getting married. Does this make any sense we want to remarry. How long should we wait to do another wedding.

Re: Earlii Wedding

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_earlii-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a7535635-f541-4ee7-abc6-c96f451169c5Post:b3746500-a84e-4a1a-af17-daa9acd16718">Earlii Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I am 19 years old and last year October 25, 2009 my husband and I got married in our pastors kitchen. None of our familys were there. We wanted to do it as soon as possible. My problem is that I want to do a wedding for our family to be there and they can actually see me and my husband getting married. Does this make any sense we want to remarry. How long should we wait to do another wedding.
    Posted by Aisha09[/QUOTE]
    You can't remarry unless you get divorced first.  Your family cannot witness you getting married because it already happened.  You only get one wedding per groom.  Sorry, that's life.

You can do a vow renewal if you want a chance to celebrate with everyone, but those are usually reserved for milestone anniversaries.  So I would wait until at least 2014, if not 2019.  But vow renewals shouldn't have the wedding trappings: no tosses, no attendants, no big fluffy dress, no registering for gifts.  Just a small ceremony to renew your vows, followed by a party.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Technically you would be having a vowel renewal, not a wedding.  I'm not sure if there is a "proper" time to wait, but I wouldn't care if there was. However, I do think that you should wait enough time to save up to pay for the wedding without having debt.  You're pretty young, and the last thing you need is wedding debt to put stress your marriage.

Hope that helps!
    Photobucket
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    Well, you already had your wedding on 10/25/09. 

Call it a "vow renewal" (Since that's what it is) and then plan whatever you can afford to have.

ETA: Ditto PP on waiting for a "milestone anniversary" to do this, because it is a little weird to do them after only being married a year or 2. At the very least wait until 2014.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • thank you all for your replays. Some of them were very helpful.
  • Nilla:  I think you meant "vow" renewal and not "vowel"  =)

OP:  All the replies were helpful.  Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't good advice.

You're quite young.  You had a quickie wedding in your pastor's kitchen.

Welcome to the world of being a grown-up.  Being a grown up means you make choices, and then live the consequences of your decisions.  In your case, you made the decision to get married in your pastor's kitchen, without family and friends there.

The consequences of that decision are that you are now married.  You didn't get the big white dress, the cake cutting, the bouquets, and your friends and family sharing the moment with you.

Live with the consequences.  In 10 or 15 years, have a vow renewal if you still feel the same way.  Me?  I think you now have an anniversary party.  Because that's what it will be.

Skip the PPD stuff.  Celebrate the day you were married.  Because it's the only wedding you get.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Trix, no I meant vowel. Haven't you renewed your A, E, I, O, U's?  Hahaha! Thanks for the correction.
    Photobucket
  • nilla:  actually, my vowels are terrific.  But I'm seriously considering renewing my consonants, especially Q and Z.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Thank You Soo mUCH... VERY HELPFUL... ONe OF THE BEST COMMENTS
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards