Chit Chat

Will a photographer travel?

Im having a bit of a dilema as far as pictures go. Around here most photographers have packages where you can do your engagement and wedding photos at a discount. But...I was hoping to get our engagement photos done where he proposed in Chicago. See the problem?!! Im from Michigan. So before I go calling around and asking and sounding like a dumb dumb I figured I would ask all of you b/c im sure you'll understand =) Maybe I should just do them seperately with two different photographer? But then I wont know if I for sure LOVE my photographer on my wedding day... I feel like I am in a lose-lose situation and need some guidance!!!!

Re: Will a photographer travel?

• We planned our whole wedding from overseas (didn't meet the caterer til the month before the wedding-yikes!) but we knew who we wanted to hire for a photographer from the start.  She did travel about 3.5 hours each way for our wedding, but we were in another country during the whole engagement.

We had a friend take (amateur) engagement photos, and it was a LOT of fun:

• Yes, they travel. But it may cost you extra. Consider how much you are willing to spend. Call around and ask. It can't hurt. And you won't appear dumb,,,,no worries!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • I'm going to go ahead and say that you don't need to test out your photographer before the wedding. I never did engagement photos. I think as long as you meet with the photog in person and your personalities click, and you like his or her work, you'll be fine. You can either use that photographer for engagement pics or find someone local.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I feel like much of your savings of the wedding/engagement package would be negated by travel fees, why not look into how much just engagement photos cost?
  • I did some calling around today and found someone who is willing to travel here as long as we get a room for them for 2 nights which will only be $150 tops! Now my concern in a chicago photographer costing more than someone where I live. What is the price ranges for the shoots?And then the photos seperately? Like what should I be looking to spend, what is a good deal?!!
  • I would do two separate photographers.  As PPs said, a local will know the good shots.  Also, I don't like "packages" that some photogs offer.  DH is from Wisconsin and I am from CA.  We wanted to take Epics out where he was from, and many of the photogs we talked to both here and there were in no way thinkiing they needed our business in both or none.
    someecards.com - What's the difference between peanut butter and jam?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_will-photographer-travel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:b158a2b4-5a94-40df-b946-6ea19d7be0f4Post:a7757403-2d18-4cb1-9a39-9f1fcccac399">Re: Will a photographer travel?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did some calling around today and found someone who is willing to travel here as long as we get a room for them for 2 nights which will only be $150 tops! Now my concern in a chicago photographer costing more than someone where I live. What is the price ranges for the shoots?And then the photos seperately? Like what should I be looking to spend, what is a good deal?!!
    Posted by Style2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Personally, I think that's a rip off.  Why do they need a hotel room for two nights?</div>
    Photobucket
  • well he said the first night for say Friday night if the wedding is saturday so their not waking up at 4am and the second night assuming they will be staying at the wedding all night... And that would actually work out well now that I think about it b/c maybe I could talk them into doing to TTD shoot the morning before they leave. IDK though... I JUST started calling around!

Not making any commitments right now. we literally just got engaged. Im more trying to see what kind of budget we need to set before starting to book. Problem is, I have no clue how much anything should cost =(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards