Chit Chat

Vegas vs. Big

I'm torn between having a big wedding vs just having a "Vegas" wedding.  I'm not loving either idea... but to be honest, I'm not loving any other ideas either.  I'm to the point right now that I don't want to have one and wish I had done the other... My fiance wan'ts just a small one, him and I with our parents on a beach.  My mom wants me to have the "wedding" I always wanted... But I was never one of those little girls who had a dream wedding....
Anniversary

Re: Vegas vs. Big

• What do you want?  Not the big picture, but what elements are important to you?  Do you want a lot of people there?  Do you want a gorgeous location?  Do you want a wild party?

If you truly don't care about any of it, my suggestion is to go with what you FI wants. 

BTW, it's totally ok if you don't care.  Tons of women could give a flying rat about a wedding.  That doesn't make you weird or anything. 
  • Have you actually priced Vegas?  Trust me, it ain't all that cheap.

But I totally agree with MyNameIsNot.  If you really have absolutely no preferences toward the wedding, do the private beach thing that your FI wants.  If you've neer cared about the whole wedding thing, I doubt you'd regret not going all-out.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Ditto the PPs on this. There's nothing wrong with "not caring" about having something big and fancy, some girls really just can't be bothered with something like that.

If you honestly have absolutely no preferences about your wedding (Aside from whom the groom if, of course, haha), then I would go with what your FI wants. Your mom can't really force a "dream" wedding on you if you really don't want one ... unless of course she plans on paying and you have no qualms accepting her money.

Maybe, if it means a lot to you to make them both happy, you could find a nice compromise between the 2, like having a medium sized wedding with the beach ceremony?

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Vegas is no bargain we considered it until I started pricing and just the ceremony was WAAAY more then anywhere else we considered.
  • Yep...If you want a "nice" Vegas Wedding, you still will spend a decent amount. I say go with what YOU & FI want. Even thou I am getting married in Vegas, escaping to elope on the beach sounds REALLY good right now! Laughing
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • It's not so much that I don't "care", it's more like I don't have a set mind frame.  I would like to have a decent sized wedding, it's just the simple fact that the only people I even have to invite are family.  I don't even have "close" friends I would want to ask to be in the wedding.  How sad is that?  I do have a location in mind that I fell in love with, but then I start thinking about who I'm going to invite, all family, and about half of them will probably only go because they feel obligated not because they actually care.  I'm a huge photo person... I love having picture displayed, so naturaly I would want pictures  of my wedding.  I don't know I like the idea of a real wedding, but I just feel like no one else would care one way or the other.
    Anniversary
  • A wedding in Vegas, a wedding at the courthouse, a wedding on the beach, and a wedding in church are all real weddings.

A wedding is what you make of it.  You can invite your family to any of the above, and you can skip WP at any of them, also.
  • Ditto. It is STILL a wedding....an a WP will not make it any less so, I am not having one because my girls will already have travel expenses.
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards