Chit Chat

Work rant...

It's Monday and far too early in the week to already be complaining about my coirkers, but the woman next to me eats Salt & Vinegar potato chips as early as 9am (and she is a rail....biatch), rice cakes, popcorn, etc. I get that what she eats is crunchy by nature and she can't help it, but she chomps so bad and goes ALL DAY LONG with the chomping. Normally I have patience, but this woman tests me every day. I've tried headphones to block her out but I have to listen for pages and can't tune out for the entire day.

Help! Me!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Work rant...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_work-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:c862539e-690d-454a-9adf-51795b442a88Post:38876adf-d51b-4d86-87a0-c37dc6ecd3ba">Work rant...</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's Monday and far too early in the week to already be complaining about my coirkers, but the woman next to me eats Salt & Vinegar potato chips as early as 9am (and she is a rail....biatch), rice cakes, popcorn, etc. I get that what she eats is crunchy by nature and she can't help it, but she chomps so bad and goes ALL DAY LONG with the chomping. Normally I have patience, but this woman tests me every day. I've tried headphones to block her out but I have to listen for pages and can't tune out for the entire day. Help! Me!
    Posted by LeenieLane[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>I would probably do something passive aggressive like "Man...what are you eating? It sounds good!" </div><div>
    </div><div>But I'm not good at direct confrontation. I'm better at passive aggressive-ness.</div>
  • I would definitely say something to her about hte volume of the crunching.
    Anniversary
  • LeenieLaneLeenieLane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_work-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c862539e-690d-454a-9adf-51795b442a88Post:5bcc528d-f03f-4560-be46-c93423aefd5c">Re: Work rant...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you said something to her?  I know I can chew loud but have curbed it since someone at my old job mentioned it in a nice way.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

I have tried but she does NOT get it...or maybe she does and she just doesn't care! She chews when she is on the phone, only with co-workers or family, so I make a comment in a joking manner that I would hang up on her if I were the other person. She just laughs.

I'm not being dramatic one bit when I say this goes on ALL day. I don't know why I'm not used to it yet. Someone who sits on the other side of the cube from her actually went to HR and asked if they could send out an etiquette email about eating at your desk in the workplace.

I guess I can't really complain about someone doing something when they have no clue what they're doing is driving us all nuts. Give me some nice suggestions on how I can put it. =) TIA
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_work-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:c862539e-690d-454a-9adf-51795b442a88Post:b109740d-4e4d-4b70-b7f0-ad66b2ca82bf">Re: Work rant...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Work rant... : I would probably do something passive aggressive like <strong>"Man...what are you eating? It sounds good!" </strong> But I'm not good at direct confrontation. I'm better at passive aggressive-ness.
    Posted by crash2729[/QUOTE]

Lol
  • Since someone already complained to HR I'd lodge another complaint. Maybe if they get multiple complaints about the same issue they'll actually do something about it.

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_work-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c862539e-690d-454a-9adf-51795b442a88Post:ab6a862f-63a8-4d64-9014-644e8ed2eda1">Re: Work rant...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since someone already complained to HR I'd lodge another complaint. Maybe if they get multiple complaints about the same issue they'll actually do something about it.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

Good point. I feel like such a whiny baby complaining about the way someone chews, but I promise it is that bad.

Thanks, Ladies!! Happy friggin Monday =)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_work-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:c862539e-690d-454a-9adf-51795b442a88Post:c487f4d9-16af-4942-9d14-e540b58f2832">Re: Work rant...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Work rant... : Good point. I feel like such a whiny baby complaining about the way someone chews, but I promise it is that bad. Thanks, Ladies!! Happy friggin Monday =)

Trust me, Im sure people have complained about worse. . .
  • Interesting.  My husband mentioned that his department created a new policy last week that no one is allowed to eat at their desks.  I just assumed it was because they had ants or something, but maybe it's a similar problem.

I would mention it to HR.  Set it up that it is distracting and interferes with your ability to do your job, not that it's annoying or gets on your nerves.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_work-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:c862539e-690d-454a-9adf-51795b442a88Post:cfa2399e-2612-40d2-99c6-784afb88249b">Re: Work rant...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Interesting.  My husband mentioned that his department created a new policy last week<strong> that no one is allowed to eat at their desks</strong>.  I just assumed it was because they had ants or something, but maybe it's a similar problem. I would mention it to HR.  Set it up that it is distracting and interferes with your ability to do your job, not that it's annoying or gets on your nerves.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]
    We have that policy but only for lunches. Because people will use their whole lunch hour to piddle and then come eat a meal at their desk and not work for at least another 30 minutes.
  • We aren't allowed to eat hot foods at our desk because of the smell but now I'm paranoid about my daily Pringles habits...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_work-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c862539e-690d-454a-9adf-51795b442a88Post:6833092f-01e0-4698-83ed-6d5939b99d6d">Re: Work rant...</a>:
    [QUOTE]We aren't allowed to eat hot foods at our desk because of the smell but now I'm paranoid about my daily Pringles habits...
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

There are signs on every microwave in the building that reheating fish is forbidden, LOL! I'm sorry if I gave you a complex!! I'm sure you're fine =)

PS - she is currently attacking popcorn. I think I have to say something now.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_work-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:c862539e-690d-454a-9adf-51795b442a88Post:5770383c-1623-469c-bdd6-c705d69e0941">Re: Work rant...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Work rant... : There are signs on every microwave in the building that reheating fish is forbidden, LOL! I'm sorry if I gave you a complex!! I'm sure you're fine =) PS - she is currently attacking popcorn. I think I have to say something now.

We had a sign like that at my old job. There was another one about being very attentive to your popcorn. Whenever someone burned a bag, it smelled horrid throughout the entire store!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards