Chit Chat
Options

Losing Weight

So it's 4 months away from my wedding and I desperately need to lose weight!!! I am thinking of starting Jazzercise because going to a traditional gym just doesn't work for me.  I was wondering if anyone has any tricks/suggestions to boost my weight loss.  I really just want to feel beautiful on my wedding day!  Thanks -Ashley

Re: Losing Weight

• Options
    may be hard, but i can tell you going vegetarian was what made me lose the most weight.
    i wasn't a full vegetarian when i lost the most weight. i ate poultry only for some time, and then switched to fish only. cutting out redmeat will help drastically. just make sure you get your iron & vitamin B12 & protein elsewhere. you can search the web for the vegetarian food pyramid. strictly follow that, and you'll drop weight quickly...
    i didn't even exercise. :)
  • Options
    I agree, cutting out red meat helps a lot. Also, if you drink soda . . you better stop. Drink the 'zero' sodas if you have to. I also eat a lot of salad with no dressing (I dont like dressing to begin with so I didnt have a problem with this) and I would cut up grilled chicken. Its filling and tasty.

You can also talk with a nutritionist and see if they have any suggestions. Be careful about how much you lose. Too much in a short about of time can be very unhealthy and could cause you to bounce back to your starting weight.

Another helpful hint is have a weight lose partner. My Fi works out with me and we eat the same thing (he eats a little more because he burns it faster) and having him on board with me really keeps me on track and makes me want to continue :)

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    liz745liz745 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2009
    1) Stop drinking soda.

2) DIET!!! Take your weight and multiply it by 12 then subtract 500-700 and that's how many calories you should be eating in order to lose weight.

3) Exercise. Technically you can lose weight without it but it will make you look better (toned) as you lose the weight. Plus building muscle helps burn fat. I would say you should do cardio three times a week and weights 2 times a week.

4) Losing weight isn't easy so set small goals for yourself. For example my long-term goal is to lose 30lbs. But my short-term goals are 5lbs a month. That way at the end of the month I have achieved something and have some gratification for all of my work

5) Losing weight effectively means making a lifestyle change. So I would not suggest becoming a vegetarian just to lose the weight because once you stop you will gain it back. Learn how to eat healthy and how to keep it up.

6) If you have the money a personal trainer is AMAZING!!! they can help you so much and design a program that is perfect for you. if you don't have a personal trainer lots of gyms have group programs that cost less.

7) If you have trouble going to the gym, have a friend work-out with you or join a couple of classes. Being accountable to someone helps a ton! 

8) Losing weight is hard! I know, I''ve lost 30 lbs but have 30 more to go. You will defiantly need a support group. Tell your family and friends your goal and ask them to help you by not tempting you with food or by going to the gym with you or just by being there for you. You can defiantly do this. Good Luck :)
  • Options

If the gym doesn't work for you than I'd strongly suggest working on your diet. Don't do fad diets or anything crazy like the grapefruit diet. They don't work because youll gain the weight back and then some more. I suggest changing how you look at food. I'd go through your pantry and look for any processed foods like Oreos, Doritos, and Lucky Charms. Then I'd go to the store and buy a healthy non diet cookbook. My favorite is The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great by Pam Anderson (different Pam Anderson than the one you're probably thinking lol) She stopped dieting and began to eat healthy. Her recipes are really yummy. Like Creamy Chili Corn Soup with chicken and black beans and fresh tomato flatbread with arugula and prosciutto. (I replace the prosciutto with turkey bacon.. I don't eat pigs)

You're getting married and the best way to look and feel your best is to eat food that isn't empty calories aka junk food because that food is known to make people tired and sluggish. I just started eating healthy. I used to love McDs and Doritos but I've seen such a change in how I feel that I don't ever want to eat that crap again!

Exercise is important. If the gym doesn't work for you than I suggest going to see a doctor to see what will work. I don't know what physical condition you are in. But they will be able to tell you what will work for you and what won't. Maybe start slow like taking your dog for a thirty minute walk and get an ab workout video. My personal favorite workout video is the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders bootcamp video! It's amazing! And very motivating! Pilates and Yoga are also fun to do!

The most important thing is your health. As you begin your new life as a wife, the best gift you could give yourself and your future hubby is the gift of health. You will look and more importantly feel amazing. Good luck :)

• Options
    Actually, going veg usually makes people gain weight.  If you've never been a vegetarian, now is not the time to start--most people substitute the missing protein from their diet with carbs.  That's great that previous posters have lost weight by going veg, but that's not typical.  I wouldn't abandon red meat, either.  LEAN red meat has more iron, protein, and various other minerals per once and per calorie than poultry or pork. 

What you need to do is determine how many calories a day you consume, and burn more than that.  It's really that easy.  A cheap way to monitor your calorie intake is go to Slim Fast's website.  You don't have to use their products, but you can still use their online weight-loss tools for free, and I found them very helpful and lost 15 pounds several years ago in college.  The first tool helps you determine how many calories you need a day (usually 1500-2000 depending on your height, weight, and activity level), and it plans out meals for you based on that number.  You can safely loose up to 2 pounds a week, and I consistently lost that much for the first 8 weeks of my plan.

We have a Getting In Shape board, the girls over there are really great at motivating each other to meet their fitness goals, you should check it out. 
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have been on Sparkpeople.com for the past year and other then my lack of exercise (I'm Lazy). I have through diet and tracking my food lost close to 20 pounds. You get out of it what you put into it, but when you join you put in your data, and it will tell you how many calories you should be taking in every day. There is a lot of support on the boards, they even have boards for just about everything, I'm in Cat lovers, and Brides 2010. But I was surprised how many calories I was eating each day. Good Luck with what ever you choose to do. 
    BTW Sparkpeople is free.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I second the sparkpeople recommendation. It's a great site.
  • Options
    I agree with cutting out sodas.  I was never a huge soda drinker, but I do get bored with regular water (even with lemon) so I also drink a lot of seltzer water with a squeeze of lemon or lime, or a sparkling water like Pelligrino or Perrier. It gives you some fizz without calories.

Definitely watch your carbs. If you haven't already, replace your white carbs (rice, pastas, white breads etc) with whole grains.  Lots of fruits & veggies. Good snacks: nuts, hard boiled eggs, 1 oz cheese (string cheese or cubes). Yogurt too but watch your ingredients.  Several popular yogurts have high fructose corn syrup which is a big source of sugars.  Go for an organic brand or get plain yogurt (I like greek yogurt, sometimes add a wee bit of honey).

And EXERCISE.  It will improve your health overall, you'll sleep better, feel better, plus adding tone and shape as a PP said. Cardio burns more calories, so definitely incorporate lots of cardio and some weight training.  I do several of the Biggest Loser workout dvds and a couple of Jillian Michaels as well.. Tough but I like them!! 
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    You should look into the Getting in Shape board too. They girls are really helpful and have tons of suggestions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I lost about 15 lbs over the summer (Which I have been carefully maintaining my weight since so I can properly fit into my dress), and I know I didn't make any incredible changes in my lifestyle (Though, I'm not really a huge junk food person to begin with when it comes to meals, so this might have helped). Here's what I did:

1) Swapped sodas for water, juice, ice tea and club soda (Usually mixed with said juice for a nice bubbly effect). I will still have a Coke of Dr. Pepper or something once of twice a week, but the bulk of my beverages are "good" for me.

2) Swapped snacks for V8 juice. A local convenience store sells 12oz bottles of the Fusions (Grocery stores also sell larger bottles, but this worked better for me). Each bottle has an entire serving of fruit and veggies in it. I drink 2 of these a day, so I'm getting all of my reccomended values before eating any other fruits or veggies I'd eat during the day (Which, yes, definitely switch the potato chips for carrot sticks while you're at it).

and 3) I did light cardio like 3 times a week. Sometimes I'd go for a short run or a walk, other times I'd pop in a work out tape, but I totally didn't kill myself with it.

Definitely check out the Getting In Shape Board as well, the ladies there has lots of great advice. You've got 4 months, that's plenty of time to accomplish a reasonable goal. Best wishes!

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    Clean eating has helped me! Just eat whole foods in their natural state, cut out processed foods and watch portions as well. My biggest challenge was lack of time to cook shop plan etc... I got the Body For Life Cookbook and it is so easy and quick and convenient and even my fiance doesn't realize he is eating "diet food" I feel satisfied and healthier for sticking to it.

Also the 30 day Shred DVD by Jillian Michaels is awesome for a good work out at home... I hate the gym. It's only $10 at Target.

Sparkpeople is a great resource as well as the Getting in Shape board.

Goos Luck!!!
  • Options
    Well, I am already mostly vegetarian.  I only eat poultry on occasion, definitely no red meats.  Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • Options
    I would cut out anything white in your diet, white sugar bread rice...Eat high protein such as eggs and whole grain toast in the am or greek non fat yogart from trader joes, 14 grams of protein and 150 calories..sprinkle with agave syrup and pumpkin seeds for power and will keeep you full. Salads with chicken grilled or fish, mix salad dressing of oil an vinegar..No bread or carbs...dinner sald, fish chicken or  quinoa with those two items...if going veggie then quinoa is a wonder grain of protein add some yogart and go greek style with taboli or hummos....Walk 4 times a week during lunch or  after work... Walk or do cardio so its difficult to talk during the session then you know you are getting your heart rate up.   Cut out desserts and carbs and you will see the difference.  If you drink sugar drinks ditch them and if you have lattes cut those out.   Exercise will tone and make you look gorgeous all over...Keep us posted on how it goes...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards