Chit Chat
Options

Transporting dress

I live in London and my wedding is in California.  I have a big heavy ballgown dress, and I'm not sure how to transport it.  Did anyone send their dress ahead of time using DHL or Fedex?  I've heard there are services that will suck your dress down into a carry-on size package, but they're very expensive here.  Or I can check it in luggage, which makes me cringe.  Any thoughts on the best way to transport the dress?  Thanks so much.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Transporting dress

• Options
    Have you considered just carrying it on the plane with you? Usually the filght attendants will be very accommodating with wedding dresses, from what I've heard. You should be able to either lay the dress along the top of an overhead bin or hang it in a flight attendant closet. Maybe ask on the destination weddings board as well?

I wouldn't risk shipping the dress ahead of you, especially with only 2 weeks to go.
  • Options
    Thank you for the suggestion.  :)  My only worry is if they say, "that doesn't fit in the carry-on thing" and then ask me to have it sent as stowed luggage.  Has anyone tried to carry their big dress aboard?  I'd hope that they'd let me, but I'm concerned if they don't.  Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I carried my dress on when flying from Philly to Bermuda. Easy peasy. Flight attendants are very nice about it.
  • Options
    There's a closet in first class that is usually used to accommodate things like this.

• Options
    BulgariHeartBulgariHeart member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I shipped my dress from Italy to the US via FedEx. It arrived safely at destination in 72 hours. It wasn't cheap but it saved me from stressing over having to pull it out at customs, explain, maybe have it searched and worry about the potential damage and I don't know what other ugly preoccupations were going through my head at the time I made the decision. I didn't regret shipping it. 

edited a word
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I will say that I soooo badly wanted to ship it and people got up in arms about it (read: the destination weddings board and our wedding coordinator). 

In the end, though, carrying on was really not a hassle.  No closet in first class on our plane, but we laid the dress over the bags in an overhead.

Everyone in customs knew it was a wedding gown.  I didn't have to explain it to a soul.  In fact, I got a lot of "congratulations!!!" while going through security and customs.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_transporting-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d9cd30fb-871f-4683-8a9c-e5fe71c193adPost:04aca38f-4d0b-4a05-8978-6174e3c39e9f">Re: Transporting dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for the suggestion.  :)  My only worry is if they say, "that doesn't fit in the carry-on thing" and then ask me to have it sent as stowed luggage.  Has anyone tried to carry their big dress aboard?  I'd hope that they'd let me, but I'm concerned if they don't.  Thanks!
    Posted by travelerkris[/QUOTE]

You could always call your airline and ask them about carrying your wedding dress on the plane.  Ask where it can be place (closet or overhead bin) and if carrying it on will violate any size policies, etc.  Like others have said, I am sure that it will not be a problem but it is best to ask the airline.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Well if you're not a US citizen and enter the US with a wedding dress people at customs WILL ask questions.

ETA - I should add that I knew I was going to fly solo, which made me worry a bit more about potential difficulties at customs. Not sure if that makes sense.
  • Options
    Call the airline and see what they say.  If you need to pack it in a bag, I would suggest rolling it from one end to the other.  It will help keep wrinkles from forming on your dress.  Then as soon as you arrive unroll it and hang it up.  It may need a steaming, which if you will be at a hotel, should be an easy thing to find.
  • Options
    Most airlines will let you carry on a wedding dress for free. It's really not a big deal.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_transporting-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d9cd30fb-871f-4683-8a9c-e5fe71c193adPost:b5ecd2b8-dca1-40b9-8a1b-7720dab71eb9">Re: Transporting dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well if you're not a US citizen and enter the US with a wedding dress people at customs WILL ask questions. ETA - I should add that I knew I was going to fly solo, which made me worry a bit more about potential difficulties at customs. Not sure if that makes sense.
    Posted by BulgariHeart[/QUOTE]

Bermuda isn't the US, but they also aren't silly.  It was obviously a dress.  I was obviously there for a wedding.  You're over thinking this.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_transporting-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d9cd30fb-871f-4683-8a9c-e5fe71c193adPost:469da1fc-dbe3-4596-976f-92a39e2e1be1">Re: Transporting dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Call the airline and see what they say</strong>.  If you need to pack it in a bag, I would suggest rolling it from one end to the other.  It will help keep wrinkles from forming on your dress.  Then as soon as you arrive unroll it and hang it up.  It may need a steaming, which if you will be at a hotel, should be an easy thing to find.
    Posted by OliveOilsMom[/QUOTE]

When I brought my dress from Cincinnati to New Jersey, I called the airline and was told that it would be the decision of the flight crew.  In other words, bring it and take your chances.

I laid out white tissue paper across the bed, put the dress on top of it and then rolled it top to bottom.  I then wound it inside of my carry-on bag (It was the only thing in there).  When I got home, I unpacked it, hung it from the balcony over the living room and steamed it before putting it back in it's bag until the wedding.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    I'm the exact opposite.  My wedding is in London.  My bridal salon told me to carry it on when I fly to England, but that idea doesn't appeal.  My plan is to ship to via FedEx with plenty of time to iron/steam before the big day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Joy, my wedding is long gone, not much to overthink. I'm just offering my feedback (result of a decade of first hand experience) on US immigration, in case OP happens to be a non-US citizen, which is something US citizens can't know about. People have been sent back to their countries by customs officials for the silliest reasons. 

ETA - pardon my wording, not trying to freak anyone out!
  • Options
    If I was traveling with my dress I wouldn't want to take any chances. I would buy my dress a seat on the plane. I'd make sure to budget for it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_transporting-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d9cd30fb-871f-4683-8a9c-e5fe71c193adPost:fa802a7b-3b03-4889-b487-186ce7d19f2e">Re: Transporting dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Transporting dress : That seems a bit excessive to me.  It's less expensive to have a dress professionally pressed for wrinkles on the other side after being tucked in an overhead or a closet, or even under a seat, than it is to buy a seat on a plane from London to California. 
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with you that it is excessive, it's just what I would do to have that peace of mind. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards