Chit Chat

NWR: Mattress Suggestions

So my FI and I are in the market for a new mattress.  The last mattress he purchased was about four years ago when we first started dating and he has been having severe back pain when he wakes up.  The problem is he likes a more firm mattress and I prefer a more plush one, like I am sleeping on a cloud.  

We looked into a Sleep Number and loved it but based on consumer reviews, we have decided against it (since its two different chambers, its not ideal for snuggling, amongst other things). His friend suggested a Sealys brand because they have a plush/firm option, but it doesn't appear that we are able to get a combo of both.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Anything would be extremely helpful!  Thanks in advance ladies!
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NWR: Mattress Suggestions

• We litterally just bought a new bed last week, and I wish we had done it years ago. We went with a Simmons Beautyrest, a firmer pillow top with some sort of gel layer. It's a pretty reasonably priced line and they had every thing from firm to super plush. I think the best way to go is just go lay on some! Good luck. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    J + A [4-15-13] + JJ [1-22-14] 
  • beardownbchsbeardownbchs member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    We have a sleep number and we love it. It's fine for cuddling too. Our numbers are pretty different (I'm a 35 and he's a 60) and if you're laying in the middle, you can't tell the difference. Unless your number is like a zero, you can't tell where the center divider thing is (it's soft foam anyway). Sure, if your numbers are VERY different, you'll feel the difference but we can't. 

I suggest going to a sleep number store and trying one out before you totally rule it out. 

My FI has back pain too and if it's worse one day, he can pump his side of the bed up so it's stiffer and his back feels better. Then drop it back down on a regular day. 

And if your "amongst other things" is referring to the other activity done in bed, it's fine for that too. Wink
  • I think our current mattress is a Serta and we've been happy with it.  Before this mattress, we had a Sealy Tranquility that literally fell apart in less than two years (mattress and boxspring too).  We've had the Serta since spring 2009 and it's doing well. 
  • We bought a Serta, one of the iComfort series models (I forget which one, either the genius or prodigy). In all honesty, though, we tried out some sleep number beds and hated them. I always thought they were supposed to be the most amazing beds ever - it was like finding out Santa wasn't real, except worse. However, I know lots of people who love theirs, so if you have a store nearby it's probably worth the trip to find out.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We just bought a Sealy firm.  It has a layer of memory foam though so it was really comfortable to me.  We have the same issue (he likes his mattress firm and I like it more soft), but the sales guy suggested a firm with memory foam and we tried out a BUNCH and kept coming back to that one.  Plus it was on sale that day.
  • We bought an iComfort last summer and love it. It is on the firmer side which is good for FI's back and I normally hate but I am sleeping better in this bed than I was in my old bed. Plus the 3 dogs love it too.

***September 2013 March Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We just bought a new Stearns and Foster last year. Best decision ever. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We have a Sleep Number...I don't rave about it, but it suits our needs. We got the baseline model and I really wish we had spent the extra $$ to get an upgrade on the top. He's a 100 and I'm  35-45 depending on the day, so that part is nice, and we cuddle on it just fine. I just wish the top was a little more plush.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-mattress-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:da7e0aea-4104-476f-abda-a416653409e3Post:d545357b-03a8-47a5-8372-0e22bb8455d1">Re: NWR: Mattress Suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have a sleep number and we love it. It's fine for cuddling too. Our numbers are pretty different (I'm a 35 and he's a 60) and if you're laying in the middle, you can't tell the difference. Unless your number is like a zero, you can't tell where the center divider thing is (it's soft foam anyway). Sure, if your numbers are VERY different, you'll feel the difference but we can't.  I suggest going to a sleep number store and trying one out before you totally rule it out.  My FI has back pain too and if it's worse one day, he can pump his side of the bed up so it's stiffer and his back feels better. Then drop it back down on a regular day.  And if your "amongst other things" is referring to the other activity done in bed, it's fine for that too. 
    Posted by beardownbchs[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We actually did go to the sleep number store and we fell in love with it.  So we went home and researched consumer reviews because it was alot of money to spend.  Most of the reviews were positive and the ones that were negative were mentioning everything you said didn't cause a problem for you.  Our numbers were pretty much as the same yours.  Mine was between a 25-35 and his was a 50-55.

</div>
    Anniversary

• Thanks ladies.  Def some great suggestions!  
    Anniversary

• Look into a memory foam mattress, like Tempur Pedic or a generic brand.  I've had mine for about a year and a half, and have never slept better. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards