Chit Chat

Like or Dislike Your Future In Laws

Re: Like or Dislike Your Future In Laws

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_like-dislike-future-laws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e26c1aa2-1bd1-4843-b6df-02c8ec9ef185Post:91859967-0de1-4919-9e61-122b4f53fe23">Re: Like or Dislike Your Future In Laws</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>i love my FFIL- he and my FI are almost the exact same person haha</strong>.
    Posted by lyssaloo[/QUOTE]

Same thing with my FI .
    Anniversary
  • I love my FFIL.  They are all great; I get along better with his mom than i do my own.  Also his sister is the same age as me, so we really click.  His Dad is very quiet at first, but once he opens up, he is HILARIOUS!!  I really appreciate them, and I wish everyone was able to marry into such a cool family. 
  • My FMIL and I have a different relationship. I can't say that I absolutely love her and having her around, but I definitely don't hate her. She would give me the shirt off her back, but a lot of the time she is overbearing. I sent out save-the-dates 6 or 7 months in advance of the wedding because it is out-of-town, and one of her friend's lost the accommodations information and she wanted me to get her a new one. (this was bout 2 months after I have mailed them). I said to her, I don't have any, plus I don't have time to worry about it, can you please just give her yours since you know where you're staying? She replies, "See, that's the problem with sending stuff out too early." Grrr!!! Just because they didn't do save-the-dates "in your day" DOESN'T mean I shouldn't do them! lol. She also treats my FI like her baby. He is the youngest of 3, and he is hers! She has instructed me to make him cut his hair and shave his goatee for the wedding because she hates it. I'm like, "Your son is 37 years old, he can make his own hair decisions!!!"
    As far as FFIL, LOVE him! I am also the only gf my FI has ever had that his dad enjoys having around and talking to. Also FSIL and FBIL - LOVE THEM!!! =) SO, I guess one out of four ain't too bad...we'll see what happens when we have kids! AAHH!! lol
  • Not sure how my FMIL and I are going to get on but we'll see. He is an only child , She didn't approve of me at the start and now is acting like the sun shines out of me. She is excited that we are getting married but every so often tries to dictate what we do which I don't take well to. FI's Father passed away a few years ago and that was a difficult relationship. Its going to be interesting!!! At least my FI backs me up and will tell her to pull her head in and stop interfering.
  • I absolutely ADORE my FILs ... They are a little old fashioned (they believe FI and I live together but sleep in separate rooms....) But I talk to FMIL on the phone for hours. 

FSIL is also one of my BMs.. she doesn't have a sister so has latched onto me -- I already have two sisters but would never mind another !!! :)
  • I love them both... His mother and I have a wonderful relationship... Something I could never have with my own mother... And his dad is really cool to hang out with...
  • I love my future in laws. FI and I met when I was 16 and he had just turned 19. I met his parents not long after we met. We have always gotten along and as the years passed they got to know me. They also realized that I loved their son and would pretty much do anything for him. My FMIL is like a second mother to me. I honestly could not ask for better in laws.
    Mrs. Married Lady
  • I lovelovelove my FMIL. She's a sweetheart and never does anything to try and interfere in her son's life. FFIL...somewhat of a jerkface. Doing better, though, which is a serious improvement over when I met the man. I get along great with my FBIL, and one of my FH's sisters, but the other two are a different story.  His younger sister could care less about it, which is fine by me, but his eldest sister is practically like the evil MIL most women seem to have issues with. SHE has more than her fair share of opinions and doesn't think twice about telling people them. Definitely my least favorite person.
  • I was actually thinking about that earlier today. My fiancee's dad drives me nutts, he is very threatened by me and feels that i am stealing his som away from him. My fiancee recently deployed to afghanistan and ever since he left his father has been nothing but a pain. I actally go out of my way to avoid him. On the other hand i get along with his mom., I go hang out with her and we do lunch and everything. I just think its backwards because most women dont like the mother in law.
  • Even though we've been together for almost 2 years, I feel like it's a bit early to make a judgment call about the FIL's....I could definitely already say with certainty that I love his brother and sister like they're my own - both funny, intelligent, awesome people and I feel like we get along just as I would get along with my own siblings. I'm closer with them than I am with my own sister! We're all fairly close in age, so that's a lot of fun, and we live just far enough away (an hour and a half) that we can choose when we want to spend time with them and when we need our space.

As far as FMIL and FSFIL...FMIL is a funny lady and I like her a lot, but we're not super close...which I'm ok with, I think. We're not getting married until 2012, so there is a lot of bonding time left to go, and it will be very interesting to see what it'll be like when we actually start seriously planning our wedding. We spend holidays with them and hug and check in on each other occasionally, but that's about it. I'm not the most people-loving-person, so I'm ok with keeping our distance from one another. Hopefully that doesn't sound horrible; I just think it's healthy to have a friendly, chill relationship with FIL's. Better than getting uncomfortably into one another's business. FSFIL can kind of be a drunk mess and I'm not a huge fan. (His bio. Dad died when he was in H.S. and wasn't too much of an upstanding citizen himself, sooo....) Yup!

As far as future in-law stuff goes, I definitely like & respect his family, and if nothing else they did a FANTASTIC job raising my future husband!! So, kudos to them for sure.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • My FMIL HATES me. My FFIL hates me only slightly less than she does. They've hated me from the start, despite me doing everything in my power to be friendly, polite, and try to get on their good side. Ther won't even tell my FI why they hate me, other than "she wasn't raised in the church" and my family is poor.
  • aaylaaayla member
    First Comment
    Take great pride in being close and loving your in-laws. My situation is very different.

FMIL - is a drug addict mostly living on the street. I've met her once at a sober moment and liked her very much. She's very sweet and funny but due to her situation she is not in our life.

FFIL - is an alcoholic (seperated from mother) that I have met a few times and surprisingly enough I also found him nice and sweet. But again due to his lifestyle my fiance has decided to keep a distance.

FSIL - I love her to pieces. She is just 19 years old and is one of my bridesmaids. She fits into my family perfectly and they have all met her and love her too. Unfortunatley she lives far away so we don't get to visit much but with technology we talk all the time.

FBIL - I have never met him and may not as we don't know yet if he is coming to the wedding. My fiance has had little contact with him since they were split up as kids due to their mother's situation.

Despite all the heartache and the seriousness of all this I actually care for his family very much. I wish I could have some sort of relationship with his parents even the privelage of having my MIL butt in and tell me how to cook a dish etc. It's a way to show she cares and wants what's best for her son. Take stock in what you have and love and cherish every moment, the good and the bad.
  • Some of my futue in-laws are fine, but there are others I cannot stand. I'm just hoping a particular in-law does not stand up at our wedding and reject it. On second thought, I think we will cut that part out of the vows. Nobody is going to ruin our wedding.
  • My FMIL is two people, she seriously has to be bipolar.  One minute she's bending over backwards and the next she making every snide comment she can think of.  MIL from hell.  I have no relationship with my own mother and really try for one here.  Invited her to shop for my wedding dress and she kept telling me and my friends that dress shopping brought back bad memeories since her daughter marriage didn't work out.  It's like she was married to my FH, and I'm the other woman.  When she's upset with him she even tells him "I've given you 28 years of my life" like he's leaving her.  Waiting for the judging to stop.

• my SO's family is a brother and sister.

his sister is great, haven't met his brother.

they live in a different country so there's not a lot of interaction.
  • I voted that I love them because I do.  BUT I live with my FMIL and my FI and it gets hard sometimes because we dont get a lot of time alone.  I'm also 27 and am just ready to be in our own house so its hard sometimes.  I'm lucky to have them but she sometimes treats him like hes still a kid too and he does so much for her but she puts him down sometimes and that really p's me off.  What other 27 year old has dinner with his mother every night?  She is also always telling us what to do, so that's hard too.  He always stands up for me though, hes the best!  I just hope she can handle it when we move out and can't tell us what to do anymore!
  • WOW!  I'm sorry that's kind of nuts!
  • I got along so well with my FMIL, untill we got engaged then all of a sudden she is always in my face about wedding plans and such. She has all these ideas, and she even told me which wedding dress I should choose, while she was showing me a magazine. I'm not a very dressy girl. (more of a tom boy) and she wants me to have this huge princess wedding like her daughter did. (My FMIL planned the whole thing for me FSIL's wedding) When I bought my dress it was just me and my mom, and bridesmaid and my FMIL wouldn't talk to me for weeks cause I didn't invite her, she is too opinionated.

Also the way she is around my FSIL's little children scares me, she is always at there house "helping" her with them.

She is driving me nuts. I do however get olong with FFIL, and FSIL. But not so much FBIL.
    The most beautiful things in the world are not seen nor touched. They are felt with the heart. -- Helen Keller Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • At the beginning of our relationship I really liked FH's parents, but as time has worn on they've shown their true colors. FMIL is nosy and throws a crying, irrational fit if things don't go her way, as well as creates trouble for herself so she can blame it on someone else.

For example, she can't decide what to wear for the wedding. I told her to wear whatever is comfortable, and showed her a similar dress to what my mom's wearing, but said, again, whatever you want to wear! She picked out two dresses, but doesn't like them, so is stressed out.  She also wanted to know what we wanted for the rehearsal supper. We said burgers and hot dogs. She is now making enchiladas and brisket, and I'm sure we'll hear about how HARD it was and how she WISHES she COULD have made something simpler.

FFIL is moody.  He snaps FH's head off on random occasions, and often goes off by himself and sulks.  He told my relatives and others they can't stay over at our wedding because the hotel is full, so have to drive 2 hours both days. The hotel, indeed, is not full. He just didn't feel like calling, and they absolutely ignored me when I asked them if they wanted my mom to reserve them a room. He is angry because we're getting married in my hometown.

It's gonna be an interesting next many years, as they live in the same town as FH....

• I'm rather in between. Love my FFIL, and FMIL. Not so much FStepMotherIL.
    She's a nasty person. Basically if you're not shoved up her butt, seeking her advice constantly, and kissing the ground she walks on - you're not a respectable person to her. And that's totally opposite of my attitude! Not to mention she treats FI like a slave and says horrible things to him.

But, the main point is I get along with, respect, and love his biological parents! And FI is just fine with that as he doesn't like his step mother either, haha
  • I wish I liked my future MIL she is not very nice at all, we are always affraid to invite her anywhere because she doesn't think before she opens her mouth and always ends up offending someone.  She is very sellfish,the day I went to show my stepmom and bridesmaids my wedding gown for the first time she was to busy trying on dresses for herself!(a year before the wedding)  She even left our shower before it was over and did not even say good bye to anyone !  I don't know how my future  FIL has put up with her the last 30 years he is going straight to heven as far as I'm concerned.  So I keep my distance as much as I can.
  • ritrit member
    First Comment
    My inlaws wants to still have a relationship with his ex-wife!!!
  • I'm in between as well. While I do like his family they seriously get on my nerves - especially FMIL and future grandmother in law. They are just so nosy and in everyone's business. And they still think he is a child who can't handle anything. Lastly, we are doing alot of the wedding planning and such ourselves such as picking music for our reception and when I asked his family for song suggestions they thought I was crazy. They think that since it is my wedding I should do it all myself (I only wanted a few suggestions not 5 hours of their fave songs!). So, I have picked everything myself and it's definitely stressful because they are all up in everyone's business but as soon as you ask them for something they don't want to have anything to do with it. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My future in-laws are super nice and fun to be with. His mom can be a little nosy at times but not in a mean way; she is definitely a sweetheart!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • gloshglosh member
    First Comment
    dont worry, we are together. i love ma in- laws, they are good to me, they really care. so iam ready to be good to them as well and hope everything will keep in line.
    not everyone must get bad in laws. so play ya part and u will enjoy ya marriage especially the family gatherings.
    may be those othar ladies were unlucky, keep postive and love them.

keep blessed GLORIA
  • It's funny you should ask this question. He has one brother and 3 sisters. I love my FFIL. However, everything seems to revolve around his youngest sister. We get along great! Infact, we talk more than her and her two older sisters talk. It's just that when anything is said about the wedding or needs to be done it gets turned around to well J did this and did that. Infact, everything is about J all the time. J did this or J did that, all the time. The same sister got married almost two years ago and my FMIL is wearing the same outfit for our wedding that she wore for the sister's wedding bc J said it was ok. The day we picked out dresses, she left in the middle of it to go get a tatto bc it was the only time he could schedule her in. I got a call last week Sat that not one of my girls orderd there dresses and they need to be ordered bc they were seeing shipping delays. I still dont know if the ordered hers yet. All my other girls had there's ordered by Monday night.  I'm waiting on her. My mom and I are doing the video, asked for pictures months ago... Still waiting on those. I would like it done so that I am not doing it weeks before the wedding. I know I willl be adding pictures but it would be nice to have the concept down...

Now, I dont feel like this all the time. But. it's been a stressful week! I'm glad today starts a new one!
    Finally, a Mrs!
  • I love my in-laws to be except for my FMIL. SHe is so disrespectful of my morals and my wants not only for my wedding but for my own life. My fiancee and I have a dog together and she can't even respect us enough to listen to us when it comes to training her and what is and is not acceptable behavior. What really worries me is going on to my children and how she will handle our wishes and rules.

• My mother in law and farther in law is gr 8, but when it comes to the step mother in law and all the sisters that is a diffrent story, they still think of my FI as the little brother, and that makes me very hot.
  • my FMIL is sweet, doesnt talk a lot, My mom is jealous that i might like my MIL more than her. since my mom and i do fight often

My FIL is a bit strange.
  • i have the FMIL from he**. she is intrusive, opinionated, rude and bossy. She told us she wanted to be more involved in the wedding so i showed her a picture of my dress and she told me that i would look like a who!@. The dress covers 90% of my body! She told me she was going to wear black to the wedding and that if we don't do specific things at the wedding that she is not going to be there. AHHHHH!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards