Chit Chat
Options

Getting married on dating on anniversary?

Ever feel pressured to get married on your dating anniversary?  See, we're May 15th, and if we get married next year in 2014 then that's a Thursday...but if we wait until 2015, that's a Saturday.  Does anyone else think of doing this?  Just curious!

Re: Getting married on dating on anniversary?

• Options
    i was just literally thinkign this our dating anni is dec 4th , but i hate winter so i was in no way in hell doing a winter wedding infact we chose our wedding date to be june 14th 2014,  we picked it for weather reasons mostly, LOL might sound bad but it works 
  • Options
    Our dating anniversary is Christmas. Every year we end up getting so busy with Christmas that we don't even acknowledge our anniversary. We picked July because I'm always cold. The dead heat of summer is the only time I'm not and we are doing the end of the month because the beginning of July is prime vacation time and lots of people may be out of town.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No because our dating anniversary is in Feb. and that wasn't an option for us (both teachers who worked in Feb. so it would have been very difficult and stressful). Plus I didn't want a winter wedding.

I would say to think in terms of season/time of year that you want to be married instead of one particular date. You can still do something small on your dating anniversary if you want, like go out to dinner or exchange cards. Your wedding date will become special and meaningful.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    We did, but we had it on a Friday because we didn't want a big wedding, nor did we want to wait a year to have it on a Saturday. If our first date was in the winter, we would have picked a different month.
    planning

• Options
    I don't even know when my dating anniversary is, so no it was not important.

It's cool if it works out, but I think it's silly to plan around it.  Your wedding date will be just as special

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We are planning to get married on our dating anniversary, but also only because it happens to go well with our plans. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_getting-married-on-dating-on-anniversary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:f55981ed-0733-48fa-bd59-cd930d80f57bPost:60744dbf-9923-4856-a327-87a6633a4a6d">Re: Getting married on dating on anniversary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i was just literally thinkign this our dating anni is dec 4th , but i hate winter so i was in no way in hell doing a winter wedding infact we chose our wedding date to be june 14th 2014,  we picked it for weather reasons mostly, LOL might sound bad but it works 
    Posted by sunnilove[/QUOTE]

<div>I am in the same boat as you.  Our dating anni is Dec. 1st, but we wanted an outdoor wedding, so that wasn't going to happen.  Both of our birthdays are in the fall as well, so I wanted something in late spring to mid-summer to avoid too many celebrations in one season.  So weather and lack of gift giving holidays were our reasons.  :-)</div>
  • Options
    libby2483libby2483 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Our dating anniversary is August 14.  While I originally thought it would be neat to get married on our anniversary (since we knew we wanted an August wedding anyway), it fell on a week day.  We got married on August 18 instead.  Honestly, I wouldn't get married on a week day or wait a year just to make the anniversaries fall on the same day.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Our dating anniversary is August 14.  While I originally thought it would be neat to get married on our anniversary (since we knew we wanted an August wedding anyway), it fell on a week day.  We got married on August 18 instead.  Honestly, I wouldn't get married on a week day or wait a year just to make the anniversaries fall on the same day.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
  • Options
    We are getting married the day before our dating anniversary only because it was one of the dates that met our other criteria. I would not wait longer to get that date and I wouldn't ever get married on a weekday. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Our dating anniversary is 10/18 but we're getting married on 10/19 because it's a Saturday.

• Options
    We didn't feel pressured to get married on our dating anniversary, but we wanted to.  10/20/12 was 6 years since our first date and it happened to fall on a Saturday.  We decided we'd get married that day.  Problem was, even 13 months in advance, the day was already booked everywhere in our area.  So we went with 11/2/12.  No big deal.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We started dating in January and wanted a Spring wedding, so we never even thought about it. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    We don't have a dating anniversary, so...no. But if you choose a different date, then you get two things to celebrate! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm NEY, but my mother recently told me if this works out, she'll disown me if I try that nonsense.  Our dating anniversary is December - along with my birthday, my dad's birthday, and Christmas.  I know she's joking, but seriously, that's just too much in one month.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_getting-married-on-dating-on-anniversary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:f55981ed-0733-48fa-bd59-cd930d80f57bPost:74f6c80b-1b8e-4699-88a3-76ae05da60fe">Getting married on dating on anniversary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Ever feel pressured to get married on your dating anniversary?</strong>  See, we're May 15th, and if we get married next year in 2014 then that's a Thursday...but if we wait until 2015, that's a Saturday.  <strong>Does anyone else think of doing this?</strong>  Just curious!
    Posted by jmfhokie[/QUOTE]

1st bolded: The only person who should have any say in your wedding date is you, your FI, and possibly your parents (especially if they are paying).  Of course, it is also a good idea to touch base with your VIPs, including siblings, grandparents, or anyone else you absolutely MUST have in attendance.  But I can't imagine why anyone would pressure you to get married on a particular day. 

2nd bolded: Some people do get married on their dating anniversary, but no one that I know of.  Our dating anniversary is November 10, which was a Saturday in 2012, but we didn't even consider it, TBH.  We wanted a wedding on the edge of summer, and late May/early June felt too soon, so we went for the weekend after Labor Day.  I agree with the PPs who said to just think about the season you would like and go from there.  I would not delay my wedding by a year only because the date is significant.  If it is important to you, maybe you should look at the 15th of another month.  Like, August 15, 2014 is a Friday and March 15, 2014 is a Saturday, so those are a few good options.  Just a thought.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I have to know who is pressuring you to get married on your dating anniversary. Why on Earth would anybody who isn't the bride or groom even care?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_getting-married-on-dating-on-anniversary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:f55981ed-0733-48fa-bd59-cd930d80f57bPost:19f28a4d-9c96-485d-a919-ede9aa3d4761">Re: Getting married on dating on anniversary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't even know when my dating anniversary is, so no it was not important. It's cool if it works out, but I think it's silly to plan around it.  Your wedding date will be just as special
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

This.

We started dating in May but as for the exact date, I have no clue, nor do I care.

Anyhoo, your wedding anniversary will really overtake your dating anniversary which will just become obsolete to anyone but you two (if people really cared about your dating anniversary to begin with).

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_getting-married-on-dating-on-anniversary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:f55981ed-0733-48fa-bd59-cd930d80f57bPost:9edc3b17-86ee-4a9e-875c-c32c4f7f4f07">Re: Getting married on dating on anniversary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting married on dating on anniversary? : For that matter, I've never had anyone aside from the two of us seem to care when our WEDDING anniversary is, aside from if it conflicts with family plans or whatever.  Anniversaries are really a thing just for the couple, so I don't get why anyone outside of the bride and groom would have an opinion on it either way.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I think the only people who cared about our first anniversary were my parents, his parents and my sister.  That's it.

In our families anniversaries really aren't a huge deal anyway (just like birthdays) so no one really cares if a vacation overlaps someones anniversary because really it is just another day.

• Options
    I have no idea when our dating anniversary is, sooo... no.
  • Options
    CA.GiraffeCA.Giraffe member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    Our wedding date is our dating anniversary, but that didn't play any part in our choice of date. Just happened to be the only weekend in January we were free. ETA: the only reason I know what day we started dating is because I still have the email setting the date up.
  • Options
    Our dating anniversary was July 13..Friday the 13th... I don't want to get married on a friday, so it will be on the 12th of next year.
  • Options
    We got married on our anniversary because we wanted to and it worked with our VIPs. There wasn't really any "pressure," just picked a date that we liked and it worked with our budget, too- it was a weekday so it saved us a TON of money in our pricey area and allowed us to host more people and have a shorter engagement with the wedding we wanted. No regrets!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We thought about it for a split second before we realized it would be on a Tuesday.  
    We like our date better now anyway, My birthday is 1/23 his is 9/23 so we chose 8/23.  23, 23, 23 :) I may be a nerd, but I like stuff like that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would love to but saving up is not going well at all and it doesn't look like we're going to make it (May 3 is on a Fri this year and a Sat next year). Oh well. Guess we will just have to try to think of something else. We had no idea where to even begin when it came to picking dates so we jsut tried to pick ones that seemed cool or had some meaning already attached to them. Plus it's one less date for him to remember! =P
  • Options
    We are getting married on our 13th year anniversary. We started dating in 9th grade on March 15th, 2000 and now we are getting married on March 15th of this year! For those that want to keep the same special day, why not elope on your anniversary then have the bigger ceremony on another date that you both choose on. That way your true anniversary will stay the same! :)
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards