Chit Chat

offensive or funny?

I can't post this on facebook because I want it to be a surprise to my coworkers, but for Halloween, I thought of this idea and wanted to make sure it won't seem TOO offensive...

I work in a corporate office for a company that makes blinds, shades and draperies for windows. I thought of dressing up as a 'blind person' with a fake cane and sunglasses, and wearing a name tag with our company logo on it with my name... meaning, I'm the "blind leading the blinds"... funny or offensive?

Re: offensive or funny?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_offensive-or-funny?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fba0975a-b3e6-4150-abba-73dc6f1ad989Post:3f0f22bf-8923-486b-b782-8156e473f471">offensive or funny?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't post this on facebook because I want it to be a surprise to my coworkers, but for Halloween, I thought of this idea and wanted to make sure it won't seem TOO offensive... I work in a corporate office for a company that makes blinds, shades and draperies for windows. <strong>I thought of dressing up as a 'blind person' with a fake cane and sunglasses, and wearing a name tag with our company logo on it with my name</strong>... meaning, I'm the "blind leading the blinds"... funny or offensive?
    Posted by CLR+VCR[/QUOTE]

How could you seriously NOT think this is offensive?

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Yeah, I agree with the pp.  Making fun of people with disabilities is not cool.
  • I'll be honest, since my mom passed away, my sense of humor never recovered and that's why I wanted opinions, so thank you, i honestly didn't see it that way...

• I vote no as it could be perceived poorly. I'm having trouble coming up with an alternative that is related to the business. Are other people in your office dressing up for Halloween?
  • Yes, a lot of people are, they do a huge contest and everything. I was trying to think work related because everyone does the standard costumes... I might just skip dressing up all together if I can't think of something else
  • What about dressing up as "the real Slim SHADEY"?

• Ramona - I like that idea... but how would I do that?
  • Baggy jeans, oversized white t-shirt, short bleach-blonde wig (Look like Eminem in the Slim Shady music videos). And the name tag with the company logo.

• hmmm... I like it... I thought you were going to use the sunglasses as a 'shadey' kind of thing, but I like this... even if I don't really like his music Wink 

thank you for the alternative, and I really am sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention, just trying to find my sense of humor again Embarassed
  • When it comes to work I always go with, if I have to ask myself if it would be offensive, it is for work (it depends on your friend's humor for how things will be perceived elsewhere, but at work...)

You could also be a "Shade" aka a type of ghost.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Good point, Jessica, about the 'ask yourself if it's offensive' rule for work... The whole reason I brought my mom into this is because she always had a way of 'thinking outside the box' and never even considering if things are offensive...she was always "who cares!"... so when I thought of this original idea, it made me think of her and I was ready to just go with it...glad I asked first!
    as for the "shade" being a kind of ghost...guess I have to go google that, never heard of that before...
  • its very offensive. i have a disability myself (chronic pain) and i would be very offended if someone did this even for a joke / for fun.
  • How about dressing up as 50 shades of grey...I saw this at a costume party.  They wore a grey dress and had different grey paint swatches/samples on it.
    Anniversary
  • Normally if you have to ask yourself if something is offensive IT IS!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I second 50 shades of grey.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_offensive-or-funny?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fba0975a-b3e6-4150-abba-73dc6f1ad989Post:b58dd08c-3794-4f9f-912e-6d28842d29b5">Re:offensive or funny?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not only is it offensive, but honestly, it's not really that clever. I doubt I would have gotten it as a coworker, but instead would just think you were making fun of blind people.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this.  I don't think it's cute, funny, or clever, offensiveness aside. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • FFS. Beyond offensive. I work in disability rights and this makes me sick. And just for the record, not all blind people wear sunglasses and use a cane.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards