Chit Chat
Options

Obligated to invite?

My fiance and I were introduced by mutual friends, our best friends to be exact. His best friend and my best friend had been dating for a year or two and thought we would hit if off...obviously we did. Shortly after becoming a couple, my best friend and I had a falling out and have not been friends ever since.

Now we are planning our wedding and his best friend is the best man but the sight of his girlfriend angers me. Not only did she throw our 20 year friendship away, but she is supposed to be the Godmother of my daughter and she has not seen or spoken to her in 3 years. (and when asked as to what happened...she is constatnly changing her story)

Am I obligated to invite her as well or can I ask nicely for her not to come? I don't want to come off as a witch, but at the same time, I absolutely do not want her there at all.

Please help!!
Jen
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Obligated to invite?

• Options
    You can't split up a couple, they are a social unit.  So if her boyfriend is invited, yes, she is too.  Trust me, you'll be too busy and too happy to even notice she's there.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I think you should deffinatly invite her, but who is to say she will even come.  It seems like if shes changing her story she feels guilty and maybe embarrased by something. By inviting her it will show that you have the class to do the right thing.  Who knows, after getting the invite she might call and want to work things out with you after all.
    Married my best friend 11/20/2010! Expecting our little blessing 09/09/2012!
  • Options
    If they have been a couple that long, then you need to invite them both.  If she harbors any ill will toward you, she will probably decline the invite.  The last thing you want to do is cause a problem between your FI and his best friend/best man.  If they have been able to maintain their friendship even though you and her have not, then they must value their friendship.  Like PP said, you probably wont even notice her. Just be the bigger person and invite her. 
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I have a story SO close to yours! It's just that I think I was "the other gurl". Something SO close happnd b/w us four! They got married last Dec. My FI was the Best Man and I....was nowhere in the picture! Actually, I didnt even make it to their wedding as I am overseas now!!!! Not destined, perhaps! ;)

But back to you......put yourself in a better spot. Invite her. If there is one BIG deed you were going to do as you start out your new life - let this be it! Clean your slate, don't worry about her's....

You're getting married, after all. You must be overflowing with love... 

• Options
    OMG I have a similar story! We were set up 3 years ago by our two BF's. The girl and I have not been very close in months. The guys still talk but not really a lot like girls every other day lol. Thankfully they live out of state now and fiance isn't inviting him because he knows he won't make it. I was just getting so anxious about inviting them and if she showed up how akward it would be not speaking to her in months and if she would start drama etc.
    Good luck that is tricky I know but you kinda have to invite them as a couple.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Options
    Yes, invite her
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards