Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Experience with Convertible Dresses?

Hi!
I've been searching for BM dresses for what feels like an eternity. I came across Dessy's new convertible dresses which I think would be cute so all the girls could wear different styles (one of my big issues was that I couldn't find many non-strapless dresses that I liked and this gives me a lot more options! Plus I love the idea of the girls matching, but not being in the exact same cookie cutter dress). My concern is this: A lot of the styles look to be revealing in the back and I worry about my two girls who are larger up top - will they be able to wear bras? 
Does anyone have experience with these dresses?

Re: Experience with Convertible Dresses?

• Options
    I can tell you right now as a plus-sized girl that I would NEVER wear a dress that has the twist-back.  Any rolls are now squeezing through the fabric.  EWWW.  

If you're set on this dress, see if the bridal store can order a few yards of the fabric in that exact color so that if girls want to add a panel over the hole in the center/lower portion of the back so they CAN wear a bra... yeah, that would be nice if they have more than a B cup.  I'm just sayin' ... 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    BTW, on the slideshow of dresses, the only wrap style that has a covered back may not be as formal as some would like for a WP.  Depends on what you want.  

Have you asked your BM's? 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have talked to the girls. All of my girls are small framed but two have larger breasts, I think both are 34Cs. They love the idea of the dress and want to try and find one to try on, but I know they would like to have support in the chest, especially since there will be lots of dancing and such. 

I agree about the one that is more full coverage not being as formal - i wonder if there are ways to tie that aren't featured on the website. 
  • Options
    Just a thought, but the fabric looks kinda casual, maybe too summer dressy...    It looks really fun, though!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We're having an outdoor garden wedding, so I thought it would work fine in that scene. 
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I had my heart set on using this dress for my BM, so I went to a bridal shop that carried it and tried it on, and so did my BM. It was not flattering on either of us....it showed every little imperfection in our bodies. I also have a larger chest (36D) and I couldn't figure out a way to wear it that would give me enough support where I wasn't feeling super self conscious or that I could wear a bra with.

I would HIGHLY suggest trying this on at a shop that carries it before you really get your heart set on it. It may turn out to work great for your girls, or you may find out that its not as cute as it looks on the website.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    It's a little expensive but try twobirdsbridesmaids.com.  They are the covertible dresses and sell tube tops to go under them for more support and coverage.  I had two larger bridesmaids and they looked wonderful.  The fabric just floats over everything doesn't stick.  PM me if you want to see pictures.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Honestly, I've never heard a positive review from someone who's actually worn one of the convertible dresses...
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I have a dress similiar to these (not specifically a BM dress, but its pretty much the same thing). The concept is really cool & I love the dress, but it can also get a little awkward depending on how you're wearing it. The times that I've worn it I have been a little self conscious about it shifting or getting out of place(& I haven't even done any sort of dancing when I've worn it so I don't know how that goes). I haven't worn a bra with it when I've worn it either, which added to the awkwardness.

If you want to use these as BM dresses I would suggest having all of your BMs try them on first to make sure they're comfortable in them. Some of the options do look very flattering in pictures but in actual life are not so much.
    They can also be awkward to twist and tie around so I would definitely practice... a lot. The twobirdsbidesmaids website DOES have videos of how to do some of the styles though, which is really helpful!
    Also, I believe twobirdsbridesmaids sells bandeaus (sp?) for larger chested women.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I bought a non-bridesmaid dress like this a year ago and love it.  Mine is a dressy material and I have worn it to weddings (where I was a guest) and received compliments. 

That being said, its a skirt with two long "scarves" attached.  It offers no support.  I would not reccommend it for anyone larger than a B cup.  The only type of bra you can wear would be one that sticks to the front, and even then it depends on how you tie it. The ties are very stretchy.  I am make sure to check everything is tied tight periodically throughout the night.

It would probably only work if everyone in your bridal party has small chests and on the skinnier side.  I know they have used them on "My Fair Wedding" and I thought they were not flattering to the girls wearing them who had larger chests (it made them sag).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_experience-convertible-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:012b8d8e-fbe9-4de8-9a8f-36e9c607f94fPost:7e30d901-e46d-470f-a22d-3087c9a9a78d">Re: Experience with Convertible Dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I bought a non-bridesmaid dress like this a year ago and love it.  Mine is a dressy material and I have worn it to weddings (where I was a guest) and received compliments.   That being said, its a skirt with two long "scarves" attached.  It offers no support.  I would not reccommend it for anyone larger than a B cup.  The only type of bra you can wear would be one that sticks to the front, and even then it depends on how you tie it. The ties are very stretchy.  I am make sure to check everything is tied tight periodically throughout the night. It would probably only work if everyone in your bridal party has small chests and on the skinnier side.  I know they have used them on "My Fair Wedding" and I thought they were not flattering to the girls wearing them who had larger chests (it made them sag).
    Posted by daysleeper3[/QUOTE]

I agree with this completely.  I have 2 of them and love love love them, but I wear a B cup and am slim.  There is no back coverage and often a lot of cleavage showing.  I'd make sure your girls tried them on.  I have a satin one from Butter and a jersey one from Tart and while I get a lot of compliments on them, know that a lot of people wouldn't be comfortable in them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards