Attire & Accessories Forum

Getting out wrinkles

Hey ladies, I normally stick to my local and club boards, but I was hoping some of you might be able to give me some advice on this. :) I have my bridals this Sunday and I'm trying to figure out a way to get rid of wrinkles from my dress. My dress is Maggie Sottero Harriet, which has an organza overlay with lots of little lace and pearl beading along the bodice (http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=A3264). When I got my alterations done the lady told me I couldn't have it pressed because of the way the dress is draped (has some ruching on the side and gathered areas in the skirt). I had heard of the bathroom steaming option, so I tried that out a few days ago by hanging my dress in the steamy bathroom for about 25 min, but nothing really happened. My questions to you girls: have you tried the bathroom steaming thing yourself and did it work? Do I need to leave it in longer? I'm just worried that some condensation will form on the dress and leave water spots. It's not horribly wrinkled, but if you look closely you can tell. For those of you who couldn't get every wrinkle out, did it show up in the pictures at all? If you think it won't be very noticeable then I don't really care. I just don't want to look like a crumpled mess. Any other suggestions on what I could try? TIA!

Re: Getting out wrinkles

• Bathroom steaming worked like a charm for my tulle veil but that doesn't necessarily mean it works for all fabrics. Try doing it once or twice more. There shouldn't be any issue with condensation; steam needs to hit a cold surface to condense into drops. (and I,for one, have never been in the shower so long that drops formed on the mirror!) If that doesn't work you could try asking at your dry cleaners whether they have a steamer, or ou can buy your own. Hard to say without actually seeing it whether the wrinkles are a big deal, but with the way the fabric drapes on that dress, my guess is that it won't be that noticeable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • My bridesmaids & I all had to travel to my wedding so I purchased a pro steamer from BB&B that worked great: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=16429007It really got wrinkles out quickly & easily
  • Hey Linzlars! Try seeing how much Five Star cleaners would charge. My seamstress recommended them if my dress got wrinkled in the bag it hangs in. And they do specalize in wedding dress cleaning/preservation. I wouldn't think steaming would be too expensive but I haven't looked into it. Good luck with your bridal pictures, can't wait to see them. Looks like you'll have perfect weather!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks to all of you! I guess I might try the bathroom steaming again and see how it goes. If I had the extra cash I'd look into one of those steamer things. Don't know if I can actually cough up $150 though! Hey Oliviosis! Fancy seeing you over on this board. :o) That's a good idea to call Five Star tomorrow to see how much they would charge. I was just trying avoid any costs if possible. I'm really excited to see how the bridal pics turn out too! I'm just hoping the weather guys have the weekend predicted right. I hate it when they say 0% chance of rain and then the night before it turns into 80% or something, haha. I'll definitely post some pics when I get them back. I just hope mine turn out as good as yours did!
  • I bought a steamer from Wal-mart for about $45. Worked like a charm on my dress and all 4 of the BM dresses
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I bought a steamer. The steamy bathroom trick is only useful for minor things.
  • I'd go for professional steaming. The shop I got my dress from will do mine for $35. Apparently it is possible to goof up bathroom steaming yourself. Someone I know ruined a prom dress (old story) because she hung it on the curtain rod and part of it ended up toching the curtain, which condensation formed on.
  • linz-What ended up working?  We are dress twins - I am wearing Harriet on Saturday!  Mine is kind of wrinkled - what can I do?  My mom borrowed a steamer but I'm afraid to use it on the dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards