Attire & Accessories Forum

Show me your dress alterations!

I've only been dress shopping once and I made a post about it probably a week ago (it wasn't the experience I was expecting, oh well!) I'm a little concerned that whenever I tried on a dress, it seemed to swallow me whole. I literally felt like a little girl trying on my mom's clothes. The picture may be too small to see, but there is a pretty big gap around the bust area; here is an example:

I'm 5'3", 117lbs and we're pretty sure I'm a size 4 or 6 at Davids (they had one size 6 and one size 4 and I can't remember how well they fit.) I've been going back and forth looking at this dress, and if it could be altered, I might be sold on it. I'm just wondering if it's possible and once it's altered would it still look like it's swallowing me? I would have asked my consultant about that, but she was nowhere to be found.

I would absolutely loooooove to see other people's before and after pictures, not only to help me understand alterations, but also because I just really like looking at wedding dresses. :)

Re: Show me your dress alterations!

• I bought a sample and had it completely changed.  So yes your dress can be altered to look like it's eating you.  :-)
    Have you tried on different styles?  Perhaps one with more of a fitted waist would suit you more.  
    I agree though when I was first trying on dresses it was a bit surreal.  I think it's just the process.  

I had the bodice removed, I didn't like the lace, back was lowered, straps and sash were added, some crinoline was removed 

• Because the gown you're trying on has somewhat of an empire waist it does have the effect of making you look small and angelic-like. That is the point of that cut of dress. If you wanted something that fit closer to your body I would try to find a style that wasn't empire waist. 

That being said, I believe the dress you had on in the photo could be altered to fit you and would look lovely. If you find a reputable alterations person it should be no problem.

I have no photos to share, but I wish you the best of luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited October 2012
    NCV2, you look so amazing in that dress! The alterations are so beautiful!

Thanks, csweaney! I'm going to another place on Saturday. I've picked out some more form-fitted gowns that, hopefully! the place will have in stock. I've decided to get away from what I like, and try to find the shape that will make me look good and confident.
  • Gowns aren't suposed to swim on you. A good sales rep will know what sample size you can fit into and should have clasps handy so that the dress fits you like its supposed to. If youre not comfortable go with a different style. Judging from what I can tell from the picture, and you look good, try on something with a fitted or rouched bodice.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards