Attire & Accessories Forum

Alfred Sung BM Dress/Size...WWA&AD?

I'm a BM in a friend's upcoming wedding and need to order the dress.  Will be going the online route through a reputable site since it will save me some dollars.  We are all wearing different styles of a cocktail length Alfred Sung in dupioni fabric.

I tried on a size 10 in the dress style I am getting.  Wasn't beat up by any means or looked stretched out to the high heavens.  That size fit quite well & hugged all the right curves but I could have used an inch in the waist and it had some room to be taken in at the shoulders.  In my head, I figured I'd order a 12.  Now, looking at my measurements, the size chart is telling me to go with a 14 due to my hippy-ness.  I'm at 41 1/2", and a 14 fits 42".  Size 12 fits 40 1/2".

My question to the board - what size would you order?  Anyone have experience with Alfred Sung BM dresses running small?  I'm under 5'4" and have this gut feeling that a 14 will be needing a lot of alterations.  And I know, the tag on the inside of the dress...it's just a number.  I just don't know if I should risk a 12 and potentially look like a sausage.

I'm spending waaaay too much time thinking about this but figured I'd go to the boards for a neutral opinion.  Thanks!

Re: Alfred Sung BM Dress/Size...WWA&AD?

• My bridesmaids are also wearing Alfred Sung. I think if you tried on a 10 and decided a 12 would work, you're probably fine. It really depends on what style, but I know most of their dresses are open through the hips so, I would think you'd be fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_alfred-sung-bm-dresssizewwaad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:1c6d6af0-0e14-43f9-8308-1cc0fb78011aPost:921e0ceb-6f31-4b83-be59-58566c7bb728">Re:Alfred Sung BM Dress/Size...WWAamp;AD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My bridesmaids are also wearing Alfred Sung. I think if you tried on a 10 and decided a 12 would work, you're probably fine. It really depends on what style, but I know <strong>most of their dresses are open through the hips</strong> so, I would think you'd be fine.
    Posted by Barbiiieee[/QUOTE]

<div>This is true on the outside, but for the Alfred Sung dress I wore as a BM, there is an interior lining that fits very close to the body, which I didn't notice initially as the store only had larger sizes that I could try. I went with the smaller of two sizes because I thought the hips wouldn't be a problem since it seemed open below the waist . However, when I got it, the lining was definitely snugger feeling than I would have liked for comfort (not so much for looks).</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was in a wedding with Alfred Sung bridesmaids.  They are a division of Dessy.  You might want to email Pearlsplace.com for a size chart.
  • It depends on the dress. I wore one of their dresses recentlly, and I measured a size 8 in my bust and waist, a 10 in the hips. I went with the 8 and it was fine, because my dress flared out at the hips.
    Praying for a miracle!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards