Attire & Accessories Forum

Trunk shows?

Has anyone been to a trunk show?

I haven't been dress shopping yet, just browsing online. I saw that a bridal shop near me is having a trunk show next month for a designer I think I like. (Like I said, haven't actually tried anything on, so I have no idea if these dresses would be the right style/shape for me)

What can I expect at a trunk show? Should I dress shop before so I have an idea what I like? Are you expected to order that day?

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Trunk shows?

• There are a couple of reasons to go to trunk shows.
    1. The trunk show will likely have a larger range of gowns than the salon will have samples of regularly in stock. Since the trunk shows are sponsored by the designer, the shops aren't purchasing the sample dresses, so they will get a wider range of styles. Too, sometimes salons will have trunk shows for designers they don't regularly carry except through special order.
    2. If you do like a dress, many designers give discounts if purchased during the sale weekend. Not all designers do-Maggie Sottero's company does not-but lots do.
    You definitely will need an appointment in my experience. They're worth going to though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  I love trunk shows! I went to one and it took place at a local family owned bridal shop. The lady was so excited because her granddaughters (all between the ages of 17 and 22) modeled the dresses. We had such a great time, and there were so many gorgeous gowns! Expect to see BM dresses and wedding gowns. I would also bring a pad of paper and a pencil so you can write down which one you like so you can request to see it later! 
    ~Soon to become Mrs. O'Kane!~
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2012
    My friend bought her dress at a trunk show.  She really liked the designer James Clifford (formerly the designer of Jim Hejlm) and he held a trunk show at a local salon.  I forget the discount given (maybe 10%) but all of his dresses were on discount if bought within the timeframe of the trunk show.

The only downside of a trunk show is that since the shop does not own the samples the dress may not be there for you to try on at a later date.  So if you really like a certain dress but you want to wait to make a decision the dress will most likely not be there at a later date to try on again.

Also, an appointment is definitely needed at a bridal salon whether you are going for a trunk show or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards