Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

What if I don't like my dress anymore??

Hi everyone, I'm having a bit of a freak out and don't know who else to ask!!

I purchased my dress about 6 months ago with my mom and sister.   We went to a discount store and I only tried on about 5 dresses.  My mom and sister really loved the dress I bought, told me it looked great on me, told me it was made for me etc.  So I brought it home.  The problem is, it really isn't what I wanted in the first place, and the more I look at it/ try it on the more I realize it really isn't the one....and my wedding is in september...

There ARE things I can do to it to make it my own and closer to what I want, but I think it still won't be right. 

So what do I d?.  The dress was cheap ($300 )so do I go out and find another dress that I like more (maybe without my mom and sister)? OR Do I stop looking at the dress I have, get it altered and hope that I like it better???

Please help, I don't know what to do and I need to decide fast!

Re: What if I don't like my dress anymore??

• Options
    Here's the thing--I usually say just stop looking, you bought the dress because you loved it.  

However, I was in a similar situation (MOH talked me into a dress), but luckily didn't go right home with the dress. Months later I found one that I didn't need talking into, and I actually bought it without my family's input, that's how much I knew it was the one.

Sounds like you fell in love with the price, and then your mom & sister talked you into the dress.  You never really like the dress, and it was relatively inexpensive.  If you can afford it, I'd say try to find something you truly love.  But if family members talked you into it, be prepared for them to be upset or shocked that you want a different dress.

• Options
    With great accessories and your hair and makeup done, do you like the dress?  There's a big difference between putting on a wedding dress without accessories or decent hair and makeup and being all made up.

I would get it altered and get some great accessories.
  • Options
    The same thing sorta happened to me.

I got talked into a dress (and veil) on sale - big time sale. I liked it... I didnt love it but I didnt really expect that I would love a dress. I started to think I needed a new dress but all I needed was to make it mine. I found the jewelry I wanted, and the shoes I wanted. I exchanged the lace trimmed veil for one with a pearl and bead edge and I altered my dress to remove a ribbon and now I LOVE it. I just needed to make it more of MY dress then the pretty dress that everyone loved that was on sale.

Don't give up yet. Pin point what you don't like about it and see if you can change it. Think about your hair and maybe a fun accessory will do the trick. Look on Etsy.com - there are a ton of great ones!

GL!
    Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    llmw07llmw07 member
    First Comment

If you are thinking about doing the 2 different dresses (depending on the style) could you wear one to the ceremony and one to the reception?  That way, it's kind of a compromise...just throwing it out there.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice.  I only want to wear one dress so if I do get a new one, I would sell this one.

I have called a couple of people about alterations and I think that inorder to make the dress what I want it is going to cost me more money than I paid for the dress in the first place....

I don't really want to buy a new dress, this one has the whole shopping experience with my mom attached to it, but I don't want to get to my weddding day and decide that I hate my dress either.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards