Attire & Accessories Forum

outfits for boys, 8 and 6, casual wedding

We're doing a backyard wedding in August 2012. My FI has two boys who will be our "ring holders". I have a fairly simple wedding dress (ivory satin, sleek, spaghetti straps, kind of slinky - think 40s Hollywood) and FI will be wearing khakis, a white shirt and orange tie.

For the boys, I'm debating between khakis and shorts. If I did "dressier" khaki-like shorts, and some nice brown leather sandals I think this would be appropriate but I wanted another opinion. Since the wedding is in our yard, I really want the boys to be comfortable and be able to run around and play since we will have a lot of kids their age there (neighbors they play with regularly and a few of their other friends). I'm really afraid of this being some stuffy, formal event for them.

Does anyone think shorts are too casual, even for a backyard wedding?

TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: outfits for boys, 8 and 6, casual wedding

• I think that sounds perfect! 

You could have them wear khaki shorts and a navy jacket for the ceremony if you want to dress them up, then let them take the jackets off. 

But really, I don't think they need to be fancy for what sounds like a very casual wedding.

Good luck :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_outfits-boys-8-6-casual-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:3b055707-395d-4212-86f6-eacb76c4d79ePost:d9bfa40c-8161-45cc-b530-0b650a3113a8">Re: outfits for boys, 8 and 6, casual wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Couldn't your FI wear a navy blue jacket, too?  He could take it off after the ceremony.  Your pictures would look much better.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]
    I'm guessing that he could but does not want to.  Not a big deal.

I think the boys would look great in shorts, sandals, and a polo to match the colors.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_outfits-boys-8-6-casual-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:3b055707-395d-4212-86f6-eacb76c4d79ePost:c7dd8760-76aa-4f69-8de3-d49bee47da72">Re: outfits for boys, 8 and 6, casual wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: outfits for boys, 8 and 6, casual wedding : I'm guessing that he could but does not want to.  Not a big deal. I think the boys would look great in shorts, sandals, and a polo to match the colors.
    Posted by pgcp[/QUOTE]

The boys will look fine like that.  Its a casual wedding as you said.

For a more formal wedding, they should wear Eton suits but that's too dressy for this occasion.  I hate putting little boys in tux!
  • Would the boys want to dress like their Dad in khakis, white shirt and orange tie?
  • Another option would be for them to wear khakis for the ceremony part and run inside to change in to shorts. Since both the pants and shorts aren't too formal I am sure they could wear them again too (a plus for the budget)!

• Thanks for all the responses. 

I'm a bit hesitant to put them in ties (or jackets) because I want them to be comfortable. They are not used to dressing up, although their father and I are (we work in finance and "dress up" every day for work). They are not "in" the wedding, other than they will be holding the rings. The ceremony is about 5 minutes long and then the reception - taco bar, yard games, etc. will start. But it isn't a bad idea - I think the idea of them dressed up like their dad might be cool - if they like the idea (and they just might) the pictures would look really neat.

I'm shying away from the jacket idea for FI too just because I kind of like the casual look for him. It's an outdoor wedding in August - the less layers the better. I'm not terribly concerned about how it looks for pictures - I've seen some great shots from other casual weddings with the guy not wearing a jacket. Plus the navy jacket - while I do love the color - might make people think Bears when matched with the orange tie. FI is from Chicago and we live about 30 minutes from Green Bay - Packer territory. :)

Thanks again for the advice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards