Attire & Accessories Forum

Pregnant (possibly) bridesmaids

So I admit, I'm at a complete loss--my Maid of Honor is about to start trying for a baby, which is so great for her, but leaves me in a bit of a conundrum about bridesmaid dress shopping.  I have two maids of honor and want at least the two of them in the same dress for a uniform look.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to handle the situation, as we don't know how pregnant she'll be by the time the wedding comes in mid-August.  Also, does anyone have a suggestions for designers who do reasonably priced but flattering maternity bridesmaid dresses?  Thanks!

Re: Pregnant (possibly) bridesmaids

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Pick a dress that has an empire waist and flowy fabric.  Also, they really don't need to order dresses until about June so if she's not pregnant by then she may be able to wear a regular dress.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Don't worry about it until she is pregnant.  It can take months to conceive, and if she does become pregnant this month, she might be too pregnant in August to stand (literally) with you anyways.

If she is considerably pregnant at the time of the wedding, she will probably be most comfortable in a maternity dress, or other dress that doesn't restrict the stomach.  Would the other maid of honor find such a garment appealing?  You could consider letting the 2 maids each wear a separate dress and have the other bridesmaids all in the same dress.

I think both David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo offer maternity dresses that are the same style as a non-maternity dresses, just more tummy fabric.  There are also dresses that a pregnant woman would be comfortable in even though it isn't maternity.  There are probably other designers that have dresses as well, but I'm not as familiar with them.

When you go to look at dresses, ask the store how long it takes to get the dress in and add some time for alterations.  Then, order closer to the wedding date.  That will give you a better idea of how pregnant your maid of honor will be.

This box shipped toys? No this box is toy! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks so much for all the advice!  Some good tips all round, especially in terms of designers and waiting until June.  You know, it's funny, you dream about your wedding all your life and then have no idea how to go about planning it when it actually comes.  *shakes head*
  • I think it is wonderful that your besty is thinking of getting pregnant and you should be thrilled for her and not worried about it disrupting your wedding. If I were you I would choose the proper color dress that you would like to see her in and let her choose the style that she would be most comfortable in. My 8o year old grandmother is my matron of honor and I am letting her wear what she wishes! :)
  • I don't think the OP was upset about having a pregnant MOH, deanozzi.  She just wanted to know how to approach the bridesmaid dresses so as to accommodate her friend.  Nothing wrong with that.

I think the David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo suggestions are great since they are large manufacturers and often have dresses in stock or can order VERY quickly from their warehouses.  Just wait until the spring or summer and see where she's at in her TTC and then let her choose a dress that will work for her.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Here are a couple we're looking at (one of my maids is trying for #2, crossing my fingers for her!!):

They'd all pretty much work on non-preggo as well as a fairly far along gal, depending on how she carries. That's what we're aiming for so she'll have flexibility and she and the other gals can get the dress hoopla settled sooner rather than later.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks again, all.

For the record, I am definitely not upset about my MoH, but thrilled for her.  It's just tricky not knowing how far along she'll be and how best to accomodate her.  She's also being really sweet and saying I should get to have whatever dresses I want for the BM's...but I want something that will make her comfortable.

A question--if you go with a regular dress (i.e. not maternity) do you just buy it big enough to accomodate the belly and then have it altered to fit other areas?

BTW, HollyweenOR, I *love* those suggestions!  They're drapey without being boring.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_pregnant-possibly-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:3d93cc41-68ed-4543-851c-d37e61d4c79aPost:19d5693f-3a9d-41e2-abf9-7a8c65a24347">Re: Pregnant (possibly) bridesmaids</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks again, all. For the record, I am definitely not upset about my MoH, but thrilled for her.  It's just tricky not knowing how far along she'll be and how best to accomodate her.  She's also being really sweet and saying I should get to have whatever dresses I want for the BM's...but I want something that will make her comfortable. A question--<strong>if you go with a regular dress (i.e. not maternity) do you just buy it big enough to accomodate the belly and then have it altered to fit other areas</strong>? BTW, HollyweenOR, I *love* those suggestions!  They're drapey without being boring.
    Posted by francienyc[/QUOTE]

It might be best to ask the store that you end up buying from.  Some of the dresses might be able to accommodate the belly even when bought in her usual (nonpregnant) size.  I think I have seen some stores (DB maybe?)  where they have a strap on baby bump so you can see what the dress would look like. 

I would wait just about as long as possible before ordering her dress, so you have a better idea of what size she might need.  She may gain weight with the pregnancy and need a larger size overall. 

You sound like a great friend to be so thoughtful.  I know selecting the girls dresses is something fun you want to be able to check off the list.  You can definitely plan and finalize your dress pick now, just be open to last minute changes depending on her situation.

This box shipped toys? No this box is toy! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • OP - My girls all wore AA 7016 in purple.  My extermely preggers BM (actually had her baby the night before the wedding and couldn't make it) looked lovely in the regular version.  I bought her one as a suprise (just in case) and it looked amazing on her belly.  It looked really great on all of my girls actually. 

http://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/styles/7016

My girls wore it in the short version though, but the long version is what I bought my preggers friend. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i'd really stay away from empire/flowy long dresses. i think they make just about everybody with a decent figure look pregnant and tent-like >.<  i also don't think you need to go for a maternity dress. if she gets pregnant now, she'd only be about 6 months by the wedding - and you'd know the situation before you'd have to order the dress so you could do a larger size and have it tailored

personally, i'd pick something similar to my BM dresses (in my siggy) -- soemthing with straps and a decent amount of structure (to help hold up the pregnant chest), but still flowy enough for a belly.  Mori Lee 744. They took 4 months to arrive, so you could get away with buying them in March. 
    A post-march belly would fit under that =)

my FSIL was 4 or 5 mo pregnant at a friend's wedding and wore the Jcrew dress a PP suggested:  http://www.jcrew.com/wedding/Wedding_Bridesmaid/bridesmaidpartydresses/silkchiffon/PRDOVR~22512/22512.jsp it worked well for her figure and belly, but she was 'chicken winging' often to keep pulling it up.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_pregnant-possibly-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:3d93cc41-68ed-4543-851c-d37e61d4c79aPost:16839990-790e-4c78-88d9-76cb9ab2153c">Re: Pregnant (possibly) bridesmaids</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here are a couple we're looking at (one of my maids is trying for #2, crossing my fingers for her!!): <a href="http://www.jcrew.com/wedding/Wedding_Bridesmaid/bridesmaidpartydresses/silkchiffon/PRDOVR~22512/22512.jsp" rel="nofollow">http://www.jcrew.com/wedding/Wedding_Bridesmaid/bridesmaidpartydresses/silkchiffon/PRDOVR~22512/22512.jsp</a> <a href="http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Chiffon-Dress-with-Layered-Skirt-F14169_Bridal-Party-Features-Maternity-Appropriate" rel="nofollow">http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Chiffon-Dress-with-Layered-Skirt-F14169_Bridal-Party-Features-Maternity-Appropriate</a> <a href="http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Sleeveless-Jersey-Dress-with-Charmeuse-Waist-Band-F44239_Bridal-Party-Features-Maternity-Appropriate" rel="nofollow">http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Sleeveless-Jersey-Dress-with-Charmeuse-Waist-Band-F44239_Bridal-Party-Features-Maternity-Appropriate</a> They'd all pretty much work on non-preggo as well as a fairly far along gal, depending on how she carries. That's what we're aiming for so she'll have flexibility and she and the other gals can get the dress hoopla settled sooner rather than later.
    Posted by hollyweenOR[/QUOTE]
    I think any of those would work just fine.  I would think the last one would be more comfortable for her, since it has straps (but I could be wrong, I've never been pregnant).  <div>
    </div><div>Just don't let her get discouraged when dresses don't work that she likes if she does end up pregnant by then.  Maybe you could also try department stores in their maternaty section for dresses in the right color also.  Just a thought since all the summer clothes will be out by then.</div>
  • Most bridal shops have simulated 'baby bumps' that pregnant BM's can wear when trying on dresses to see what they'll look like. I'd wait and go shopping when she's actually pregnant so you'll have an idea of how far along she'll be for the wedding.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards