New Hampshire

Cork Placecard Holders

I remember someone doing them, but I can't remember who.  

My dad fashioned a cutter with a razor blade, but it's too flimsy and I've already cut myself once.

Any idea how to cut the corks?

Re: Cork Placecard Holders

• mrsoconntobemrsoconntobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am looking for corks.  Where did you get yours?  We are looking to use them as placecard holders.

• mrsoconntobemrsoconntobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am looking for corks mysellf.  Where did you get yours?
  • edited December 2011
    I did them.
    We used a sereted edged knife and a little saw to cut back and forth to create a slit in the cork and then I used pins with pearls in the back to keep them standing up.  I saved corks from our wine bottles and also got some from our reception venue. There is a wine shop in Nashua that sells them by the bag. GL!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Well for one, we love wine. I mean, really really really love wine. We drink about 2-3 bottles a week kind of love.  And I'm not picky. Pinots, chardonnay, merlots, cabernets, all of 'em!

That being said, we have had a lot of trouble on our own finding natural corks. Most wineries are going to the synthetic corks as they are more reliable.  However, my BM's dad owns an Italian restaurant, and they've been collecting corks for us so we definitely lucked out with our supply.

These are all the same so you'd be missing the designs, but if you're looking for bulk corks, this may be a solution to fill in your collection!  Hope this helps!
  • Luv2Cook27Luv2Cook27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never cut cork, but w hat about using a sharp serrated knife?  Like a steak knife?
    ~*Emily*~
    Wedding Bio

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    what about an exacto knife?
  • edited December 2011

I bought our corks from corkeycreations and had our monogram placed on it and a heart design on each side of the cork.  Deidra was great to work with and I really liked how they came out.  I have pics in my bio under details.  I think I paid about $1 a cork for them, which included shipping.  I'm not sure how you would go about cutting them if you were to do this on your own.  It might sound stupid, but what about a paper cutter?  The blade would be long enough and you might be able to swipe it in one shot?  Just a thought...

• kelliannikellianni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought a ton of corks off of ebay.  I think I bought 1,000 for 30$.  I am not cutting mine, I am hot gluing them together.  It is easier and looks just as good.  I am getting married at Zorvino and this was an idea that they gave me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards