Attire & Accessories Forum

Mismatched Bridesmaid Dresses...??

I am having an outdoor wedding in the summer of 2013 and I just cant decide if I should have all matching bridesmaid dresses or mismatched ones!? I am shooting for a vintage/diy style wedding that is a little on the funky/country/vintage side...kinda like in this link!( http://bohochicbride.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/floral-vintage-bridesmaid-dresses-3.jpg ) I have seen so many pictures I love of mismatched bridesmaids but I am so scared it wont look good! My ladies are all different shapes and sizes and I do not want them to look goofy or feel uncomfy. AND I have NO idea where to find mismatched retro/vintage/funky like dresses! haha I live in Wisconsin and there really arent any real unique places around here...if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/suggestions please let me know!! Thanks!!!

Re: Mismatched Bridesmaid Dresses...??

• Let me start off with this:
    Your wedding is a year and a half away.  PLEASE don't ask your friends to be in your wedding party yet.  Things change in that amount of time.  Wait until at least Thanksgiving to ask them.

As far as where to get them, well I think you just need to give them a criteria and let them go with it.  I'm telling mine they can choose a chocolate or mocha colored dress, knee length and not taffeta.  I trust them to choose a dress they will like and will look good on them.  I honestly think this looks less goofy than a plus sized BM in a strapless dress.  They need to find what works for them.  If that means they find a clearance dress at Ross for $9.99, awesome for them.  If they want to go to a bridal boutique to find something just right, great.  I think this gets rid of the budget question and the "style" argument between the bridesmaids. 
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • I have seen plenty of people who do this and made it look good! My colors are black and ivory , my moh is in black with ivory trim and a one shoulder strap 2 bm have all black strapless My junior bm has a black sleeveless with black floral detal at the neck The flower girls are in ivory with black sashes I'm sure as long a the color scheme flows together you will be fine with different dresses
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • We went to David's bridal
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I told my girls (MOH, BM, and 2 Jr. BMs) to show up in a dress that wasn't floor length.  It was a summer morning wedding so wasn't that formal.  That's it.  I didn't care about colors or styles - frankly I think it's a little tired to have everyone all matchy matchy.  

And guess what?  They all showed up looking GORGEOUS, in dresses they felt great in.  
    imageAnniversary
  • Go into a store and see them with different dresses. I totally agree about not asking them too soon!
  • My 5 BM are all wearing different jewel-tone colored dresses about knee-length. That's my only requirement. I think different dresses will look great and I have a similar group as you (different sizes, ages, races.) One thing that's been mentioned to me is that, as a BM, it can be overwhelming to have very little direction. I was initally just giving everyone an about knee-length, dressy guideline, in any solid color except black and white and came up with the jewel-tone palette after one of my BMs pointed out that they were worried about possibly clashing.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Also, check out the Wisconsin board (under Local Boards on the left <----).  There are a lot of funky vintage stores in the Milwaukee and Madison areas.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I think as long as they all have a strong tying feature, like same color/material/pattern, it'll look cute. They'll be unique but still viewed as your bridal party - if that's what you're going for. I'm thinking of having my girls in different dresses but same length, color and fabric.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards