Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress size

I am currently a size 14 in jeans. Is there anyone else who is a 14 and what was your gown size?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dress size

• QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I am a 14 or 16 in jeans, depending on the brand. My dress size was a 20.  But, honestly, your size will depend on what type of dress you buy and what brand.  I was a 16 in some designers and a 22 in others. It depends on the cut of the dress.   If you buy an A-Line, your jeans size probably won't matter. Your bust and waist measurements will be much more important.
  • Cm is right. I wear a 1415. I ordered my dress online and found that my measurements ranged from a 14 bust to a 22 waist and everywhere in between. I may be on the larger side but most would consider me fairly well proportioned so it was very confusing. I ended up ordering a 20 and it fits perfectly except in the bustand length. If you are ordering online make sure you use the measurement chart!
  • They seem to be two sizes bigger in general, but yeah I guess your body shape determines that.  I wear a 16 in jeans and got my dress in a 20. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Depends on the type of gown you're buying. If you're going for a fit n flare, mermaid, sheath, or trumpet style you likely are going to have to go multiple sizes up. As the previous post said, if you go for A-line or ballgown it depends on the designer. Zippers are a girl's worst enemy, no matter what dress I tried on in a zipper I was a size 8 (I'm a size 4 in jeans). I could, however, fit into a 6 in a corset back. But I could never fit into a size 4, which is my street size. From my experience its safe to think you're going to end up being about 2 sizes bigger than your jeans, so if you're a 14 I would plan on an 18-20. Don't look at the size tag! It doesn't matter as long as it fits and flatters. You will be beautiful no matter what!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was a 10 and my dress was a 14. They order by your biggest measurement.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It depends on the designer too. I was surprised when my "real" size matched my wedding size. I kept hearing it would be larger.

They explained that most dress designers start at 4 and not 0 so every size is two sizes larger, except my designer uses normal sizes.
  • Thank you ladies! I really appreciate it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-size-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:6176c974-3a11-48b8-8fb7-e68dcbbd5743Post:398a9d3c-9046-4783-b7d2-4b5be8147c3d">Re: Dress size</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends on the designer too. I was surprised when my "real" size matched my wedding size. I kept hearing it would be larger. They explained that most dress designers start at 4 and not 0 so every size is two sizes larger, except my designer uses normal sizes.
    Posted by loca4pook[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Same here.  I sort of freaked out when they wanted to order my street size because I was worried it would be too small.  But according to the size chart, it was the right size to order.

</div>
  • I wear a 14 in jeans too, and actually ended up with a 12 in my dress.  It's a Maggie Sottero fit and flare, so there's a corset back that is forgiving if I need it to be.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-size-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:6176c974-3a11-48b8-8fb7-e68dcbbd5743Post:89f80595-0f47-4859-814e-bd8a12ff8652">Re: Dress size</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dress size : Same here.  I sort of freaked out when they wanted to order my street size because I was worried it would be too small.  But according to the size chart, it was the right size to order.
    Posted by BostonGIrl4732[/QUOTE]

Me too.  I'm a street size 14 and that also happened to be the size of the sample I tried on so that's what I ordered. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards