Attire & Accessories Forum

Dancing to the tango for first dance.. options?

So, here's my problem.. We're dancing to the Tango..

I know I need a corset type backing to suck everything in.. But I know wearing a floor long dress will not work..

Do you guys think a tea length dress will work? And do you think there is a corset back tea length dress out there because I can't seem to find ANY!

And if not.. do you know if a floor length dress would be okay?

HELP!!

Re: Dancing to the tango for first dance.. options?

• A seamstress may be able to pull out the zipper and put in a corest back for you.  I think a tea-length gown would be fine, but I would think that if your dress was properly hemmed to your heels and you bustled any train that floor length would be fine too.  That said, I'm not a dancer, so I couldn't say for sure.  I think I've seen the tango danced in a floor length gown before though.
  • Are you taking lessons? Or I assume practicing at least? Try putting on a long dress or skirt to test it out. We are taking lessons and doing a fusion of rumba and foxtrot. Our teacher put me in a "wedding" dress to practice since its definately different than doing in jeans
  • I don't know why you think you need a corset back to dance the tango.  Honestly, you can dance in any type of dress you want unless it restricts your leg movement.  Just make sure you practice in the type of dress you'll be wearing.
  • edited September 2012
    Picking a dress to match the dance sort of seems like putting the cart before the horse to me, but in any event, I don't think either corset back or tea-length is necessary to dance the tango.  Like others said, try doing the dance in various lengths and see how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards