July 2012 Weddings

Children's Passports.

FI have decided to NOT do a honeymoon but instead to go on a disney cruise with the children to hawaii next year. The ship departs from LA and before making a round trip to LA it stops in Mexico, which will require our children to travel with a passport. I have a son from a previous non married relationship. The father is not even on the birth certificate but is in his life. 

I read some information that I would need to require a court documented paper claiming I have full custody of my child. Has anyone had to do this? My son has my maiden last name, should I apply now for his passport since by the time we are traveling I will not be Hylton anymore. What is the procedure in regards to he not having my last name at the time of travel. Should I change my sons last name to my FI once I am married to by pass all the hassel it may cause us in the future? His father is in his life but comes and sees him at his covience. My son has approached me about wanting to have FI last name since he will be the only one Hylton.

My daughter has her fathers last name that I will be taking on as I marry FI. So the precdure for her is a lot less difficult.

pregnancy calendar

Re: Children's Passports.

• I just need an opinion from someone who has delt with this before. Either way Im ok with my son having my maiden name or my FI last name. 

I have full cudstody of my son but it isnt court appointed. His father and I have never went to court or delt with that, im not going after child support. We worked it out ourselves. But considering my sons father is NOT on the birth certificate I dont know how to go about obtaining a passport and then the time of travel I wont share his last name anymore. I dont know if that would be a problem with travel. This is why I am confused and looking for more information. 
    pregnancy calendar
  • Why would any of us have dealt with this before? Very few of us have children. 

Maybe try the bump or the nest.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just looking for help.. SOME of you do have children... 
    pregnancy calendar
  • Right, but this is a very specific question and the only thing all of us have in common is the fact that we're planning weddings in July 2012. You would probably get better advice from a message board aimed at mothers, not brides. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes I do understand that but some of you do have children or know people in this situation. Just because its a NON bridal related question doesnt dismiss people dont know what im talking about. 
    pregnancy calendar
  • If you are traveling outside of the country with a your child and only one parent you just need a notarized letter from the other parent saying they give permission.  Its not really that big of a deal.  My parents had to do this for me when I was 17 years old and my mom took me to Belize on vacation
  • I also have a son from a previously non married relationship, and he also has my maiden name. I was able to get his passport last year but I did bring my ex with us when we applied. If yours won't go a notarized letter will work but imo its just easier to get him to go with you. As far as having the same last name while traveling, I don't think it will be a big issue but I was told by border officials that next time we traveled I should bring a letter from his father saying he approves of the trip. I did not, and we were still allowed to go they just gave him a quick interview. HTH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you the information helps a lot!!!!
    pregnancy calendar
  • I ask because I want to know if people have changed their childrens names becuase of the hassle? That is why i ask. Not becuase im debating in my head or not sure. I just want to know if this was sorta.. the easy way out? If because they did it they havent had any snags in regards to last name issues. 
    pregnancy calendar
  • I remember when I was little my when I used to travel to Portugal with my grandma my parents would have to write a letter stating that they gave permission for me to fly with my grandma.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards