Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Adding 'Bling' After Buying Dress?

I have been looking at a few dresses, and I've totally fallen in love with the style that has lots of crystal, rhinestone, bling! However, all of these dresses are WAY out of my budget.

Is it possible to buy a dress and add crystals later? How would one go about doing this?
Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Adding 'Bling' After Buying Dress?

• Options
    I have been looking at a few dresses, and I've totally fallen in love with the style that has lots of crystal, rhinestone, bling! However, all of these dresses are WAY out of my budget.

Is it possible to buy a dress and add crystals later? How would one go about doing this?
  • Options
    Yes, it's definitely possible!  You could always add a crystal sash, a brooch (depending on the style of dress)... GL!
  • Options
    i agree with PP. the easiest way to add bling to a dress is to add a crystal sash or belt. or have lots of bling in your accessories.
  • Options
    Unless you're a very talented seamstress I'd go with a belt or brooch. You can also get swarovsky crystals and sew them into your veil (I did this and am not an accomplished sewer). Hiring someone to sew the crystals on your gown will be very expensive as well.

But really, I'd say go for bling with your headpice and other jewelry- it can get TOO blingy fast and you don't want to look like a DIY project gone horribly wrong.
  • Options
    I partially agree with the prior posters. Without knowing what dresses you like, and what you ultimately want, it's tough to answer your question.

I'm a seamstress and have sewn for over 40 years. I have "blinged up" lace blouses and dresses, with bugle beads, sequins, pearls, and rhinestones. HOWEVER, if you have never done this, or don't know anyone who has, your wedding dress is NOT the place you want to start. Even if you get one reasonably priced, as the prior posters said, you don't want to have it go terribly wrong.

Sometimes a simple dress, with a flattering fit, is the way to go. As prior posters said, you can add bling with jewelry, veil, headpiece, and add something simple to the dress like a brooch or belt.

Check this website, which has reasonably priced rhinestone jewelry, belts & buttons:

www.rhinestonejewelry.com.

You could buy rhineston buttons & add them to your dress. Also, search for "lace appliques", "Sequin appliques", "pearl appliques" online, you can find entire blinged pieces you can add instead of individual beading.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I totally fell in love with the Maggie Sottero Regina dress.

However, my dad already thinks my fiance and I are spending too much money. My fiance's parents gave us $9,000 for our wedding, and my Dad thinks we should have a courthouse wedding and spend the money on bills.

THAT being said, my fiance's family think it's only fair if my family pays for at LEAST my dress. But, I have no idea how much money I'm going to get from my dad, if any.

That is why I was asking the above question. I might have to go with a cheap dress and alter it. I am currently learning how to sew and make some of my own clothes. I've even kicked around the idea of making my own dress- but I don't think I would be talented enough for that, even in two years (the wedding isn't until 2012).

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. Here is a link to the Maggie Sottero dress. I'm not sold on this as "THE ONE". I've only started looking at dresses this last week. But, I really do love it.

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=Regina&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=100&style=J1362SW

• Options

I would suggest not adding bling on yourself, unless it is through accessories.  First, I think it will be a completely added stress. Second, if you mess up, it's going to cost so much more than if you just purchased the gown to begin with.  Third, that picture you shared isn't a completely blinged out dress, it has one big statement bling.  That can be accomplished with a gorgeous belt or sash. If you wanted to get a plain wedding sash and add bling to that, then at least it is a lot cheaper than replacing a dress if you mess it up. 

You may want to look through affordable designers.  Alfred Angelo seems to have reasonably priced dresses.  I have not actually tried one on (will be going in August), but, I really like a lot of the styles he has, and I've picked many that are under $1000 (not sure of exact price, just that its under $1000).  Also, you may want to look at David's Bridal. Yes, it's DB and a lot of people have bad things to say about them, but, they can also be affordable.  Additionally, I hear if you go during the day, during the week, you get loads better customer service.  I also suggest going online and finding some styles you like on their website that they have in store and telling them that's what you want to try on (instead of having to find your way through all the dresses).

Also, since you still have sometime, maybe you can buy a sample dress or get on oncewed.com or other site that sells pre-owned wedding dresses. 

• Options
    Last I looked on David's Bridal, I didn't really like any of their dresses, though I haven't ruled them out.

I too really liked a lot of Alfred Angelo's dresses, but, again, we come to the question of the price.

Thanks for your suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards