Attire & Accessories Forum

Curious about rings...

Hi brides!

My fiance and I are planning an outdoor August 18, 2012 wedding. We're very excited! Our celebration will be laid back and simple, we're not into having a wedding that will put us into debt. We're still in college!

My engagement ring is a beautiful cushion cut (about 1 carat) blue topaz with little tiny diamonds on the sides. We went to Kohl's when they were having their 80% Presiden's Day sale. Little did I know he bought it the same day. =] He then proposed on our two year anniversary.

I know what you're thinking.... Kohl's? Blue topaz? I didn't really want a diamond. First off, they're terribly expensive for a rock. Yes, even though diamonds are amazing, it's still a rock. I thought topaz was unique, and I loved the color. In some lights it looks almost clear, like a diamond. It's wonderful.

So here's my question:  how many of you have gotten married and just had a plain wedding band? I'm going into the medical feild and I need something that will work inside gloves. Plus, I kind of like the idea. Marriage is about commitment, right? Not about who has the biggest sparkler. See: Kim Kardashian. 20.5 carats? Eek.

People have been telling me it's old fashioned (at the time of our wedding, we will both be 21) and I should get with the times. But frankly, I don't see why I need a $3,000 ring when the gold is going to scratch, the diamond is going to dull and by our 25th anniversary, I'll probably need a new ring.

That's why we like these: Mine would be the round one, his would be the striped. These rings are made of tungsten carbonide, virtually indestructable and completely scratch and dull proof. PLUS, lifetime guarantee. Am I weird for not wanting a diamond? HELP?

Re: Curious about rings...

• Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2011
    A plain wedding band will be just fine.  Don't worry about what other people think.  If you feel good about it, then you're OK!

ETA (5/31):  I bought FI's wedding band yesterday (timely thread, thanks!) -- Monday.  It is an unadorned white gold band, 3mm.  His choice.  He's a happy camper.  Cheers!
  • I think you need to get a ring you love. If the ring above fits you and your lifestyle the go for it. As my FMIL said to me when we got engaged, you have to wear it for the rest of your life so you have to love it. Lots of people don't have a diamond I really thinks it's personal choice. My FI is looking at Triton rings as well as he works on motorcycles as his hobby. Good Luck!

• Thanks you two! You've relaxed my nerves. I'm usually not worried about what people think but I guess it's the wedding stress, and maybe because it's finals week next week. Who knows?

Thanks again!
  • Triton is a good brand, but the one you are looking at is 7mm wide. Do you want sich a wide ring? Many men find that to be a large width. Triton also makes a 4mm titanium band with 3 small diamonds in it that is adorable.

Tungsten carbide isn't indestructible. It can shatter if struck a particular way (ie: gets pulled off by your glove and hits the hospital floor). Triton will replace the ring though if it sustains damage or if you need a new size at any point, which is why they are so good.

It isn't old fashioned that you want a ring to fit your lifestyle. It is irrational to get a big crazy blingy ring when it would not be right for you.

Btw, the blue topaz can scratch fairly easily so be mindful of it. I have a large (8x12mm) London Blue and in 3 years I have put it through quite a bit of hell.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Get what you want and what makes you happy. FWIW, I am a trauma nurse, and I (or any of my co-workers) have never had an issue wearing my ring with gloves. I hear people say that frequently, but I have never really heard of it being much of an issue. However, I have had to have my white gold ring re-plated with rhodium sooner than most due to frequent hand washing/hand sanitizer. 
  • edited May 2011
    BadKitty: Good to know about the width! I didn't even think about it. We have just been looking online. We will be going to look at them in the store soon. Also, I didn't know that they would shatter. Scary! Also, do you know if Triton rings are able to be engraved?

My topaz stone has held up pretty well. However, my white gold is looking kinda shabby and we've only been engaged a few months. I'm pretty rough on it. I do a lot of things with my hands (probably should take it off for that...). =]

SunnyDays: Sanitizer is one of my concerns. Alcohol is not very good for jewelry. And I'm glad to know that the gloves aren't as fragile as I thought.

Thanks!
  • tmwanyotmwanyo member
    First Comment

as long as YOU love it thats what matters. Its YOUR wedding no one elses but you and your FH. You two need to be happy and not worry about making others happy

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just bought my FI a Triton wedding band for our wedding Sept 2012 and its tungsten. Its heavy, but VERY good quality :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards