Attire & Accessories Forum

Light Gray Tux, pool blue vest/ties for groomsmen; white or black shoes?

I need help with shoes!  My fiance and I are going with the Calvin Klein gray tuxedos at Mens Wearhouse.  They are more of a light shade of gray.  The groomsmen are wearing pool blue vest/ties and will be matching the bridesmaid dress color.  The wedding is in July outside by the water.  We were going to go with white shoes but I am not so sure the guys can get away with this?  My FI will be wearing the same but with white vest/tie.  My dress is bright white and flowers will magenta.  You think white shoes would be ok or should we go with black shoes?  None of the wedding colors are black.

Thanks!!

Re: Light Gray Tux, pool blue vest/ties for groomsmen; white or black shoes?

• i would suggest black or dark brown shoes with light grey tux.  The tux could be tough on the beach but the look is up to you. (well, unless it's 90 degrees)

Don't try to match the GM's vests with BM colors, too promish.

GL!

• xtanne12386xtanne12386 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    My groom is wearing a light grey suit black vest teal tie brown shoes. It looks sharp
  • RamonaFlowersRamonaFlowers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2012
    Go with black. Men should never wear white dress shoes. Ever.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• White shoes scuff and I just don't think they look as nice as darker shoes (this goes for BM shoes as well in my opinion).
  • My FI is wearing a light gray tux with ivory vest/tie. He's wearing black shoes & that will be the only black in the whole wedding also. Honestly, no one will know. No one will see that the shoes are black. But, they will see if they're a bright white. I also agree with PP that white shoes are not so hot.
  • edited January 2012
    This is the only guy alive who can pull off white shoes:

On a more serious note, I have to question your choice of tuxedos for a daytime (?) wedding, outdoors in July, near the water. A tuxedo is more formal than a "business" suit, and should be worn appropriately. Novelty color tuxedos (anything that's not midnight blue, black, or ivory) and novelty color ties/waistcoats/cummerbunds are juvenile and/or reminiscent of the 70s. Further, a properly executed tuxedo should only be worn in the evening, since, after all, it is evening formal attire.

I highly recommend putting your gentlemen in light-to-medium grey "business" suits instead of tuxedos. Your tie color choice will pair nicely with the suit. You gents might even save some money purchasing their very own suits rather than renting from MW. At the very least, they'll have a nice suit tailored for them for years to come.

As for shoe color: either black or brown/cognac will do, depending on how formal you want the look. Black is more formal than shades of brown. Personally, I'm opting for a pair of cognac wingtips with my light grey suit.

Thinking of tuxedos? Visit this site first: www.blacktieguide.com

What to expect from a rental tuxedo.

• I work at a rental store and I always recommend black shoes with any tux color other than white. Definately go with the black. I am having grey suits aswell with aqua vests and the men will be wearing black shoes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards