Attire & Accessories Forum

David's Bridal Alterations Price Points

I looked back to see if there was a similar post, but I didn't find anything relevant. 

I ordered my dress from DB its this Strapless Galina Ballgown. I go in next week for my alterations and I was wondering a general amount I might be looking at. Most of their gowns are for women that are 5'8". I am 5'2" and need it to be hemmed at the very least. Any other shorties out there that can give me an idea of what to expect?

Thanks! 
A and B
Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: David's Bridal Alterations Price Points

• I'm a shortie!  (5'3").  I had a BM dress hemmed there and I believe it was $60.  So, for a bridal gown I'd expect it to be more than that. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would highly recommend going elsewhere for alterations. I've heard a lot of bad things about DB's prices/quality in that area. My gown was DB as well, but I had it altered by someone else.
  • edited September 2012
    Mine was from DB with pearls and a few ... Sequins, not very many. My hem was $95 (and that was to barely take it up in the front. I'm 5'5 and am wearing a heel), total alterations totalled $220.

I would assume price is also regional. I agree with checking around - I wasn't expecting to pay up front, that was another 'surprise'. However, it is guaranteed. ETA - I overlooked it was a ball gown, and remembered the word 'sequins'
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • Thanks for the forewarnings. I know about paying up front and all those other extraneous details. I know some people have had horrible experiences from them. So far I have only had positive experiences, and so have the other people I know. I am just the short one that needs alterations, everyone else bought and wore as it. 

My DB is actually 2 hours away so I really wasn't interested in driving down there every time. When I looked in my local area for a seamstress or other location for alterations, I found more horrific stories than the ones about DB. The only location that worked on wedding gowns and guarunteed their work, was closed last summer when they found out the owners basically had indentured servants doing their alterations, and I know of roughly 30 people up here that did not get their wedding gowns back in time because they were federal evidence (sounds wild but google sweet nothings flagstaff, its all there). Everyone else here either does not work on wedding gowns or works out of their home and does not offer a guaruntee on their work. 

Thankfully, my dress is just tulle with no extra embellishments or appliques. Just concerned about the ruffles. Thanks for the insight though. 
    A and B
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Because of the ruffly skirt, I would plan on your total alterations being at least $150-$300.  That hem is going to run you around $100.00 alone. 

I'm sorry you can't find a better seamstress in your area.  The alterations people at most DB stores are really horrible and they overcharge for almost everything.
  • My local seamstress was AMAZING and so incredibly affordable. She worked out of her house which cut down on a lot of the overhead.
  • I'm also only 5'3" and wore flats so I had quite a bit of hemming- mine cost $120 at my local DB, which did excellent, excellent work and their prices were cheaper than some of the highly recommended seamstresses in my area (NYC, notoriously expensive area!) My dress was quite complicated (two-tiered ballgown with four layers and appliques...) and I had several alterations done. If the local DB has decent reviews and the price is acceptable, I'd stick with it, particularly if your dress is complicated or you're getting a lot of work done- the guarantee was one of the big positives for me as I couldn't afford another gown if the private seamstress screwed it up!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I am 5'2" and order my DB dress in petite and didn't have to have it hemmed at all.  They charged me $85 for the bustle and they did a wonderful job.  Good luck!
  • Thanks for the encouragement and information ladies!
    A and B
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards