Attire & Accessories Forum

Groomsmen - no ties allowed

Ok, my fiance grew up mennonite and although he doesn't attend the church anymore his 2 of his groomsmen are still practicing.  I just found out that they do not believe in wearing ties.  I want to make everybody comfortable and happy so it isn't a big deal, but I had my idea of the guys wearing just slacks, vest and tie.  (It is an outdoor, garden wedding). Will it look good with no tie with the vest?  Or should I go with coat and no tie?  Just trying to get an idea of the picture without ties.  Can I have the groomsmen without ties and the groom still in a tie?  Really confused ha ha.  

Re: Groomsmen - no ties allowed

• islandmonkey8islandmonkey8 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    Maybe have your FI try on all the different looks and pick the one you like best?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Here is a pick of some groomsmen (and groom) wearing slacks, shirt and vest with no tie

I am usually not a fan of a vest without a jacket but that is just me.  But I think that as long as your wedding is not super formal then I think it will look good.

• Wow, different Mennonites - I'm a 'practicing' Mennonite and would never think twice about guys wearing ties :-) My FI and his groomsmen definitely will be. But, I definitely agree that everyone comfortable is good and I like the pic that Maggie0829 posted. You could put a tie on the groom and have the rest tie-less I think and it would just make him stand out (but then I'm no fashionista!). My FI thinks that he'd prefer a jacket and no tie to a vest and no tie (and then wondered why I was asking, and I had to reassure him that he can in fact wear a tie, haha). But there are all sorts of options, and a tie won't make or break the look for your guys :-) 
  • I think this is a decision your fiance should make.  These are his attendants.  He should make the call.  If you have any male attendants, then what they wear should be your call.
  • Leave it up to your fiance.

You could suggest that just he wears a tie and the groomsmen wear the vest without a tie?  
    ~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_groomsmen-no-ties-allowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:86fd4637-9300-483e-b411-b8c60705a213Post:734113b9-ed94-426f-912e-bd31f1710e91">Re: Groomsmen - no ties allowed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, different Mennonites - I'm a 'practicing' Mennonite and would never think twice about guys wearing ties :-) My FI and his groomsmen definitely will be. But, I definitely agree that everyone comfortable is good and I like the pic that Maggie0829 posted. You could put a tie on the groom and have the rest tie-less I think and it would just make him stand out (but then I'm no fashionista!). My FI thinks that he'd prefer a jacket and no tie to a vest and no tie (and then wondered why I was asking, and I had to reassure him that he can in fact wear a tie, haha). But there are all sorts of options, and a tie won't make or break the look for your guys :-) 
    Posted by greensnail[/QUOTE]

<div>Ya, there is just one of the guys that is apparently follows this part and he was in a wedding for another one of their friends and he had to wear a tie, so he specifically asked before saying yes.  I think it will work out fine, and I do love that pic of the no tie and so does my FI so the no tie and vest will be great!!! </div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks everybody.  Loving the message boards. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards